• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can cause drone APART FROM exhaust?

Mopewbie

Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
My 440+6 has this horrible drone, drives me mad, it goes straight into my brains!!!
It happens at lower RPM (can't say when since I don't have a tachometer) but driving around 30/40mph.

I can certainly say it's not the exhaust since I snapped mufflers, drove with open header and even replaced the headers for a hedman, drove with the new ones open and the drone was still present full on.

So.... what else can be causing this?!!!

EDIT: forgot to mention the driveshaft has been rebalanced last month and no cha ge in the drone.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm reaching for straws here. Maybe pinion angle if the drone rises with driveshaft speed. My Superbird did that. Checked it. Bought shim kit. Put it in spec. No drone.

Yup, pinion angle.. Watch the video, pay attention to the noise/rhythm at around 1:10 that is a signature of a pinion angle problem...

I've seen videos like that before and they are quite interesting to me.
In 2003, I used a chain to pull out a post in my front yard. I had the chain wrapped around the axle of my 1984 Chevy truck. The drive to work the next day was weird. I had a strange rumble and hum in the truck the whole time. It took me a couple days to discover that the welds on the spring pads on the axle had peeled up. The pinion angle was WAY out of whack. I fixed it and had new U joints pressed in since I figured they were going to fail as a result.

C 10 H.jpg

Wheel bearing? A failing bearing can be noisy depending upon how far gone it is…

Auto Transport Service
Back