• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can cause drone APART FROM exhaust?

Get up to drone speed & put into neutral. If drone sound changes, it is engine related. If no change, drivetrain related.

My bet it is engine/exh drone, despite all the changes made.

Get up to drone speed & put into neutral. If drone sound changes, it is engine related. If no change, drivetrain related.

My bet it is engine/exh drone, despite all the changes made.
Or shut the engine off.

I have to ask, have you checked the rear differential fluid level ?
Also pop the rear drums off and check rear axle bearing up and down movment.

I dont like my cars too loud so never had the muffler drone...but sure have had the driveshaft angle and rear axle thing.
My 2021 grand cherokee has developed a muffler drone at 2000 RPM. I suspect I have damaged the mufflers or cats as I do drive it pretty hard.

Bit quieter but yes.
Well that eliminates a lot of things... Either exhaust or something is transferring from the engine to the body... Engine mounts,Trans mount, exhaust touching a body part not isolated by a rubber mount...

Well that eliminates a lot of things... Either exhaust or something is transferring from the engine to the body... Engine mounts,Trans mount, exhaust touching a body part not isolated by a rubber mount...
When I got my Charger the drone was awful and it was from one of the exhaust tubes contacting the body. All great things to check.

If you think about it, what we are calling DRONE is a rhythmic resonance that comes from vibrations. It can be through the air or through the body.
You could record it and look at it on a chart to see peaks and valleys in the sound waves.
I've had it and it was usually from exhaust touching the underbody somewhere, the trans crossmember touching the body, the drive shaft out of phase due to damaged leaf spring mounts but so far, never just the exhaust on it's own. Some rotational force or engine/transmission related force used the car body as a conductor, a large megaphone if you will.

Droning noises can be caused by bad pinion or carrier bearings in the center section of the rear axle, also by rear bad wheel bearings, along with driveshaft and pinion bearing angles.

Drone is there with or without mufflers.
Check transmission mount. I've had cheap, aftermarket ones fail to absorb the vibration and drone like crazy. I figured it out AFTER replacing all the above. I put in a used OE trans mount and problem stopped

My 440+6 has this horrible drone, drives me mad, it goes straight into my brains!!!
It happens at lower RPM (can't say when since I don't have a tachometer) but driving around 30/40mph.

I can certainly say it's not the exhaust since I snapped mufflers, drove with open header and even replaced the headers for a hedman, drove with the new ones open and the drone was still present full on.

So.... what else can be causing this?!!!

EDIT: forgot to mention the driveshaft has been rebalanced last month and no cha ge in the drone.

Thanks.

There are a few possibilities. The exhaust pipes installed are larger than stock and the flow at that rpm creates the drone.

Does the drone take place at a specific rpm range? I know you don't have a tach.
Might want to invest in one or use a hand held meter with one to determine if this is strictly an exhaust issue and the specific range. I have a similar issue with a Dart. The drone is say 2400 to 3000 rpm then goes away once the rpm is higher or lower.

You need to install a return pipe on each side of a specific length that dead ends. There is a calculation for this. look it up on google.

90 degree bend back the required length 2 ft approx. to a blank and this takes away the resonating drone.

If the drive shaft is the issue get it balanced.

Check transmission mount. I've had cheap, aftermarket ones fail to absorb the vibration and drone like crazy. I figured it out AFTER replacing all the above. I put in a used OE trans mount and problem stopped
Was gonna mention that! I bet it's not so bad now.

Auto Transport Service
Back