• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What car were you driving the first time you clocked 100 mph or more?

16, my dads 67 Dart GT.

I probably got close to 100 in my 64 Sport Fury or 70 GTO sometime but I don’t remember anything specific. But a 66 427 Corvette I once owned with a 3.08 rear, I remember taking it up to 100 and just letting it cruise for a ways on a 4 lane in the early 80s. It was just loafing along.

1971 buick lesabre 4 door 350-4

1982. I was 14.

They were building the I-675 bypass and had several miles of concrete sub-roadbed laid on a gentle curve.
I wanted to see how fast that car could go and figured that was a relatively "safe" place.
Must have been a holiday for the construction crews not to be working and to be off school but my mom to be still at work.
Might have been summer. Had 2 14 year old friends with me.

Past 120 relatively easily. Probably should have double checked exactly how much pavement was available.
Probably also one of the stupidest things I've ever done.

Earlier that year, me and that same group of friends discovered they left the keys in the construction trucks.
Drove a couple of them around for a bit.

Also rode a moped over a narrow pedestrian bridge spanning all four lanes, plus the median and shoulders before any railings were in place.
Actually did that several times as it was a 5 mile shortcut to where I was working that summer.

Drove that same lesabre on a frozen lake that winter. Super fun but super stupid.

Man, I was quite a young punk.

Last edited:
Can't remember if my sister's 65 6 banger Mudstain would crack the 100 mph barrier or not but got it to 100 at least.....and several times. My 66 Belvedere for sure once I got a mild 383 engine in it and with 2.94 gears. Had 3.91's in it and made one trip home to get the car once I was out of basic training and in tech school at Lackland. The trip back to base didn't go so well so got a set of 2.94's for going back and forth to Houston. I-10 was brand new in 71 and no one was on it at night and let her rip. The speedometer was geared for 2.94's and wasn't hard to bury the needle past the 120 point with that engine. How accurate? Have no idea.

My first 64 dodge speedo was buried but I kept going. It was on I-17 went up against a torino big block. It was a blast.

Riding in my friends 69 Ford Torino Cobra Jet. The speedo went all the way around and almost pointed back to 0. We did some crazy things back then.

Last summer I took my fresh off the grill Dart up to 100 mph but I don't have the front end dialed in where it needs to be and it started floating real bad. A little scary.

Trying to remember. I think my 68 Camaro SS 350 4 spd was the first. That would have been 74. For sure in 76 with my first mopar 68 GTX 440, auto, 3.23 on 275 with about a dozen people in the car with me. We didn't even realize we were going that fast because of how smooth the car rode. That's what sold me on mopars, that and the fact there were 10 other camaros just like each of mine at every show.

Haven't thought about that in a long time.
First and second times around same time two different cars. 70 Monte Carlo SS 454 then a 69 coronet R/T.

In 1970 I built a 66 Plymouth Valiant with a 340 in it. The engine had all the goodies on it and it ran great. Track times if I remember correctly were in the mid 13’s at 104 mph. A lot of fun and I could drive it to work. Did 110 on my Ultra Glide Classic and 82 clocked on my GPS in my Bass Cat Jaguar with a 250 XP…like speed!

Last edited:
1959 Pontiac Catalina 2-door sedan with 345 h.p. 389 TriPower, 3-speed stick on the column. This was an American Pontiac in Ontario, where Canadian Pontiacs were built on Chevrolet chassis. I had this car in 1965-1966, and I definitely had it over 100 mph. several times. Big car, but powerful.

1964 Olds Starfire vert 3.55 gears 5800 rpm valve float. Couldn't see speedo needle. Probably 126 to 128.

1) '75 Alfa Romeo (avg autobahn speed 180km, 112mph)
2) '74 Charger (avg autobahn speed ~117mph)
3) '?? Ford Scorpio, European model (autobahn speed 250km, 155mph)
4) '69 Superbee (avg autobahn speed 130mph, but did make the speedo hit 150 before I put it on the boat home)

Kind of anti-climatic considering the rides I had; but the ‘first’ recollection exceeding 100 was in my dad’s ’66 Coupe Deville. I was around 17, wisely alone after dropping off a date. Borrowed dad’s car for some ‘extra room’ with my date going to an outdoor movie. It was around mid-night on a desolate stretch of highway I was familiar with. The Caddy began to feel like I was floating off the ground. The curve in the road though had a 45mph sign and it arrived sooner than I expected; lol, it would going 45-50mph over the limit. Next time was drag racing a guy in a ’67 GTO in my ’67 GTO late at night. When a car started turning into my lane on the blvd, I looked at the speedo while hitting the brakes and downshifting, needle was about buried then. Had no idea how fast I was going until then. Also remember brake the fade..

69 torino Gt 390 4 speed 3.91 gears, my first car..... 1977 me and my best bud with a 69 chevelle 396 ss auto hit over 125 mph on m5...
For anyone familiar with the area.... m5 .......
We used to dead stop on the freeway under the drake road bridge heading east had a car out front that would flash their brake lights three times... then a few seconds later would flash again... that was the go.....
Almost exactly 1/4 mile was a emergency turn out... that was the end of the race... but we often kept going.
Those where the days............

Auto Transport Service
Back