• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What carb for 440

Napoleon1991

Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
I realize I’m going to get a ton of different answers with this one, but im looking for some suggestions on what type of carb to go with. Engine is a 440, 10:1 compression with a voodoo 703 cam. It has TTI headers, a performer intake, 727 transmission and 355 gears. It has a reman Quadrajet on it right now and im tired of messing with it trying to get it idling smoothly. I’m leaning towards Holly or quick fuel, definitely something with vacuum secondaries. Any help pointing out the pros or cons of different carbs or what CFM size I need would be appreciated.

Maybe 850 cfm ? I could be wrong though, just going on how you built your 440. I'm no expert, but, I play one at home :)

Maybe 850 cfm ? I could be wrong though, just going on how you built your 440. I'm no expert, but, I play one at home :)
Can't go wrong.
Maybe 750 if you're never going to mash the pedal much.
I've sold many quick fuels and everyone is happy. Just sayin.

Can't go wrong.
Maybe 750 if you're never going to mash the pedal much.
I've sold many quick fuels and everyone is happy. Just sayin.
I have a 383 that was rated right at 400 hp on the dyno, but with parasitic loss, maybe 375....ish. i'm running a 750 cfm Edelbrock, other carbs are good. I know Edelbrock does not get a lot of love, but they are easier to work on for me. I just don't have any experience with Holley.

I have to agree with the others, that it's what you're familiar with, first of all. So 750 or 800 cfm, and I'm familiar with Edelbrock, so your combo would be happy with the 800 AVS2. Easy to fine tine. My 2 cents ruffcut

Holley or Edelbrock

Blonde or Brunette

Whiskey or Brandy

Santa Claus or Easter Bunny

Holley or Edelbrock

Blonde or Brunette

Whiskey or Brandy

Santa Claus or Easter Bunny
MaryAnn or Ginger.
1703388665282.png

At one point I probably had 10 carbs....all Holleys and would just keep going bigger and bigger until the car didn't go any faster....but the best street carb I've ever had was a TQ on a 340. It even got good fuel mpg if I was nice to the car which was hardly ever and even then, the mpg wasn't bad. :D Btw, the majority of the Holleys were DP's. It's been years since running a vac secondary but the one back then that I liked was the 3310.

I figured everyone would have a different opinion lol. Anyone have any experience with a Holly Street demon?

Don't leave out strombergs and tillostens and webers and mikunis and motor crafts and all the other competitors..
Air is air and gas is gas.

Edelbrock is finally making a copy of the holley, it'd be nice to see how those work

The 703 cam is never going to have a smooth idle, so switching to another carb will not fix THAT problem.

As for another carb, leave the Holley [ & clones ] on the shelf & get an Edel 800 AVS2.

A properly tuned Q-Jet will run as smooth and accelerate as fast as any other piece on the market. Check your plugs, wires, cap etc for problems. Make triple sure there are no vacuum leaks. Don't be real quick to blame the carb for a bad idle.
Someone a lot smarter than me once said, 95 % of all carburetor problems are in the ignition.

And ,by the way, Mary Ann all day long and twice on Sunday.

I realize I’m going to get a ton of different answers with this one, but im looking for some suggestions on what type of carb to go with. Engine is a 440, 10:1 compression with a voodoo 703 cam. It has TTI headers, a performer intake, 727 transmission and 355 gears. It has a reman Quadrajet on it right now and im tired of messing with it trying to get it idling smoothly. I’m leaning towards Holly or quick fuel, definitely something with vacuum secondaries. Any help pointing out the pros or cons of different carbs or what CFM size I need would be appreciated.
I have this same setup, Holly recommended the street avenger 770 vacuum secondaries if you have automatic transmission, mechanical secondaries if a stick shift. Just my 2 pennies.

Auto Transport Service
Back