• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What carb for 440

I realize I’m going to get a ton of different answers with this one, but im looking for some suggestions on what type of carb to go with. Engine is a 440, 10:1 compression with a voodoo 703 cam. It has TTI headers, a performer intake, 727 transmission and 355 gears. It has a reman Quadrajet on it right now and im tired of messing with it trying to get it idling smoothly. I’m leaning towards Holly or quick fuel, definitely something with vacuum secondaries. Any help pointing out the pros or cons of different carbs or what CFM size I need would be appreciated.
Is that 703 cam the one on a 112 LSA? Something like .480" lift? If so a 750 vac secondary will work well on the street. Or a 750 AFB or AVS. The Quick Fuel has a lot of room to adjust circuits so that might be my first choice. Also considering your gears I'd stick with the 750 CFM.

I realize I’m going to get a ton of different answers with this one, but im looking for some suggestions on what type of carb to go with. Engine is a 440, 10:1 compression with a voodoo 703 cam. It has TTI headers, a performer intake, 727 transmission and 355 gears. It has a reman Quadrajet on it right now and im tired of messing with it trying to get it idling smoothly. I’m leaning towards Holly or quick fuel, definitely something with vacuum secondaries. Any help pointing out the pros or cons of different carbs or what CFM size I need would be appreciated.
From Lunati

10230703 60303 1800 - 6200 .494"/.513" 226/234 271/279 110/106 Hyd/Hyd
This high performance street cam likes
2400 RPM stall, 800 CFM carb,
dual plane intake and headers. Makes un-equaled power to 6200 RPM with proper valve springs.

Is your Q-jet 750cfm or 800cfm? Stall? A/F ratio?

Many, many years ago when I went from being a straight line enthusiast to being an off-road desert enthusiast, I had a built K5 Blazer with a sbc 406, camelback 2.02 heads, 11:1 @4500ft, Lunati .230/.230 109/107 @0.50--cam tech recommended, Performer intake, headers, TCI 11" converter and a TCI TH350 trans w/3.06 1st gear, 3.73/33" et al and an 800cfm Q-jet that was set-up by a SNORE member for off-road/highway and altitude, the Q-jet became a superb performer and worth the money after being worked on by an off-road racer (SNORE guy).

In typical Ford vs Chevy fashion, another member of our group was running an F250, 429ci w/B&M 10" converter, 4.56/35", Isky cam and Holley double pumper. Between the converter, weight of p/u and Holley DP, it was assumed by others and myself that his choice of cam was too small, and the DP was a poor choice because it bogged WOT. He was a co-driver for me on a short course, and I was going to be the co-driver for him, but, he didn't run his big block 429 that day.

My point in sharing this is, a much smaller 406 engine with a big, re-calibrated 800cfm carb outperformed a big block 429, it was the total package; ignition, carb, intake, heads and headers, matching weight and gear ratios. I have an Edelbrock 1407 carb (750cfm) that ran well at sea level, it needs to be leaned out (recalibrated) a bit for A/F at 4500ft altitude (less air to mix). In order to get the proper A/F ratio, the same would have to be done with a Holley, TQ, Q-jet et al.

IMO, the simple solution is to take the Q-jet to a professional Q-jet carb person, it can be recalibrated for your goals. If a Q-jet can be recalibrated to take on the rigors of high-spirited, rough riding, bouncing desert driving at speed, it can be made to idle. :)

Last edited:
I currently own a 680 Quickfuel w/ vac secondaries I’m thinking about running on a mild rebuilt 440. I can always step up to 750, 780, bigger if the performance is lacking. Carbs are expensive!

I currently own a 680 Quickfuel w/ vac secondaries I’m thinking about running on a mild rebuilt 440. I can always step up to 750, 780, bigger if the performance is lacking. Carbs are expensive!
680 better low-end/idle, 780 better top end and so on. :thumbsup:

Not always.......
Expect an 850 TQ to have better low end response than a 780 because of [a] the smaller primaries [ b] triple booster design....and more top end because of more total airflow.

Not always.......
Expect an 850 TQ to have better low end response than a 780 because of [a] the smaller primaries [ b] triple booster design....and more top end because of more total airflow.
Yes of course, my comment was only about quickfuels. (Squarebores)

I run a TQ myself and will never go back to a squarebore carb.
Spreadbore is a totally different world and it is amazing.

Jonas,
If you go to the FABO website, Fuel systems, you will see a thread I started in early Oct 23 about TQ mods. Those mods will really wake up your TQ. Sorry, do not know how to link.

Yes of course, my comment was only about quickfuels. (Squarebores)

I run a TQ myself and will never go back to a squarebore carb.
Spreadbore is a totally different world and it is amazing.
Jonas, I believe you did not test one of the best squarebore carburetors.

The Carter AVS
Ah, yes! I played around a little with my 440 one.
That extra air mix screw and three step rods are cool.
Didnt test it much sadly as the secondary throttle shaft was cracked.

I hope to find a donor shaft someday so that mine can be in top shape. :thumbsup:

IMG_20240211_173958.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back