• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Carb should I put on 440 going in 70 Coronet?

moparnorth

Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
What Carb should I put on 440 with manual transmission and n96 fresh air going in 70 Coronet?

All depends, with a Holley, anything in the 650-750 CFM range will be fine. If you want a Carter/Edelbrock, the same. I'm a Holley guy.

Really need more info to get down to the nitty gritty, rpm's, gearing, stock or modified, etc. Just a simple recommendation would be a 750 Holley if you plan on cranking up the rpm's or a 650 if your just going to cruise. Vacuum secondaries are the better choice if your running numerically lower gears like 3.23's on a stockish motor where the motor can't take advantage of a double pumper.

This is one of those questions where you'll likely get all kinds of opinions, myself it's Quick Fuel and Holley hands down. I played around with a few carbs on mine just to get a feel, first was an 870 Holley Avenger (vacuum secondaries) then a Demon 850 double pumper, I settled on a 750 QF double pumper and will never remove it lol. When you start playing with the bigger cfm's the velocity drop at idle makes low rpm tunability a bigger challenge, this is one of those things where bigger is not better especially on a street car...

Last edited:
We can’t answer your question yet.

How are you going to drive this car? Drag racing, 2 hour 75MPH road trips, local cruising.

Is the engine stock or more cam and compression?

what rear end gears?

Rebuilt motor and a little extra cash? Have to give serious thought to an EFI 4 barrel.

stock carb for 1970 Coronet RT 440 with 4 speed and N96 fresh air ramcharger hood was a AVS 4737s according to mymopar.com chart therefore would this be my best chose? i would like to go stock as possible.

stock carb for 1970 Coronet RT 440 with 4 speed and N96 fresh air ramcharger hood was a AVS 4737s according to mymopar.com chart therefore would this be my best chose? i would like to go stock as possible.
If you want stock then go for it, they work too but from my experience they have more heat related issues. Today's fuel blends are made for EFI, not for sitting in a bowl on top of a 185+ degree motor so don't be surprised if you need a phenolic spacer to insulate it. Hell I had to put a spacer under my QF as well. Big difference between the 2 regarding heat is the Carter style carbs are 2 piece carbs so your float bowl is the same chunk of aluminum that's bolted to the intake... direct heat transfer. Holley based carbs have a throttle plate then the main body followed by metering blocks and last your float bowl so every part is separated by a gasket meaning you shed heat at every separation. Today's fuels suck for our old cars!

IMO...
I concur wholeheartedly....but it depends on if you want to maintain correct appearance and operation and function (with modifications to "fix" innitial drive away emission issues). The origional Carter AVS 4737S is an excellent carb for general all around operation, with the adjustable secondary air valve. It has been mentioned by others, what is the car's intended use? What are/is the other mods being contemplated? More cam, after market heads, headers, rear gear ratio, etc. These mods can effect the carb's selection. Recurving the distributor's advance curve will help engine response as well.
My personal preference is origional appearance and operation.
BOB RENTON

IMO...
I concur wholeheartedly....but it depends on if you want to maintain correct appearance and operation and function (with modifications to "fix" innitial drive away emission issues). The origional Carter AVS 4737S is an excellent carb for general all around operation, with the adjustable secondary air valve. It has been mentioned by others, what is the car's intended use? What are/is the other mods being contemplated? More cam, after market heads, headers, rear gear ratio, etc. These mods can effect the carb's selection. Recurving the distributor's advance curve will help engine response as well.
My personal preference is origional appearance and operation.
BOB RENTON
the car's intended use cruising and 2 hour 75MPH road trips stock engine with mild cam with factory 906 or 452 heads, factory HP exhaust manifolds with 323 rear gears and about 10:1 compression.

Last edited:
We can’t answer your question yet.

How are you going to drive this car? Drag racing, 2 hour 75MPH road trips, local cruising.

Is the engine stock or more cam and compression?

what rear end gears?
the car's intended use cruising and 2 hour 75MPH road trips stock engine with mild cam with factory 906 or 452 heads, factory HP exhaust manifolds with 323 rear gears and about 10:1 compression.

Last edited:
I still run my 4737s in my 70 Coronet R/T but I had to change out the original 3 step metering rods, their accompanied jets and the bulged metering rod caps In favor of 2 step rods, jets and flat metering rod caps from a afb. Right now though I'm running a tuned up afb competition series carb 750cfm and it runs strong. I tune these carbs from an old Carter strip kit that I got years ago. Most at car shows ask if I'm running an Edelbrock carb. Nope, Carter man.

I’d go find a 3310-1, mostly because that’s what I did for the same setup. Love it.

On an earlier occasion, same exact car as yours, I used a Holley 830 annular discharge, really loved that, absolutely stupid throttle response.

Last edited:
If you can find a nice Holley 3310-1 you will love it. Very tunable. They will work great with a wide variety of motor builds. An ideal BB Mopar street carb. A new carb that has the same features would seem like a good choice too. I had very good experience with a Carter aftermarket AFB on my tow vehicle van 360. The current Edelbrocks are the same as the Carter. I'm not as good with tuning the Carter style, so I remain a Holley guy.

I'd suggest the 3310 Holley. NOTE: for the N96 setup, you'll need a stock intake manifold & the Holley won't fully sit down on the intake. You can clearance the intake & bottom of the carb very easily. Great carburetor on a 440

Auto Transport Service
Back