• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What chassis grease to use?

Hilljack68

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
I noticed the FSM for my Coronet specifies P/N 2525035 grease for the suspension/steering lube (idler and pitman, control arms, etc). After searching for info on this and other forums, I've surmised this is no longer available. What are you guys using instead?

Synthetic, technology has come a long way since Dino grease.

really? How about ANY grease you can buy at the parts store or walmart????!!!!

I like Lucas red high temp chassis grease. I used to use Mobil 1 but got tired of the stuff liquefying and dripping out all over the floor.

I like the red stuff from Tractor Supply! Doesn’t make your hands black! LOL

08-00825a.jpg
AeroShell-Grease-64.jpg

Any good multipurpose grease will be quite sufficient. I farmed for 35 years using a good multipurpose grease. There is no greaseable part on a car that comes under the kind of speed, pressure or temperature that happens on agricultural or industrial equipment.

Yeah, but once in awhile you need to pack some wheel bearing and most of us would tend to just reach for what we already have in our grease gun. So why not have some decent high temp grease there.

IMO.....ANY API (American Petroleum institute) NLGI (National Lubricating Grease Institute).
Traditionally, a grease's stiffness is indicated by its penetration value and is evaluated using the standardized National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI) grade chart. The NLGI number is a measure of the grease's consistency as indicated by its worked penetration value.
There are nine different NLGI “grades” including 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. ... The correct NLGI grade is an important consideration because not all grease applications are the same. Some grease applications require softer grease so it can be pumped easily through small distribution lines and valves.
upload_2021-11-14_12-5-17.png

This subject is akin to which oil is best, which spark plugs are best, which wax is best, which beer is best, etc. I guess the "best type" is user determined, based on operating conditions, availablity, cost, and ease of application but should be based on OEM recommendations. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Groovy. Thanks for the input fellas. I use the Red N Tacky for wheel bearings; sounds like it'll work for the other areas too.

Auto Transport Service
Back