• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color are YOUR sneakers ? Then... or now.

WileERobby

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
So, another thread prompted my burnt brain to come up with another memory from back in the Stone Age of my youth. Us "YOOTS" would get a brand new pair of WHITE sneakers... either Converse or Keds/Prokeds... and dye them a color of our choice. Yes, before you could walk into a store a buy color sneakers. They only were made in black, or white. The dye came in a small box bought in the local grocery store, powder in a pouch. You poured the powder into a pail of hot water, then soaked the sneakers for whatever time it took. Scoop them out with a clothes hanger, hang up to dry, and PRESTO ! ... your very own, custom color pair of sneakers. Which transformed you into the envy of the other kids. Pick a color... red, blue, green, orange... if the color was available in that little box, it became YOUR personal fashion statement. And if another kid ranked on your color choice, you just punched his teeth down his throat. Hey... Brooklyn was tough. ( disclaimer... no it never got THAT physical, but pretty close, lol ! ) ( Brooklynese interpretation of "rank" = insult, or disparage with vile verbiage ) Any other foot fashionistas here ?

I’m wearing work boots.
IMG_2539.jpeg

I like the dark colors and mostly wear black these days. Never was into sneakers as a fashion statement or any kind of clothing for that matter. That was one of my X's beefs....I never dressed up anymore. Heck, NEVER dressed up all that much. Think I've worn a tie a time or three but even that was a clip on lol

Back in the day, most of the time mine were black, but one time around 1970 I got a pair of blue suede sneakers and everyone in gym class was amazed.
I don't have a picture of mine but they were similar to these:
1701376436563.png

I’m wearing work boots. View attachment 1566261
I like your style!
20231130_152117.jpg

... either Converse or Keds/Prokeds...
My older brother was partial to hi-top, white Chuck Taylor's.
I preferred the low ProKeds, something about those red and blue vertical stripes. My first pair was vivid green, sort of like sassygrass? Had a pair in B7 too!
We never had to dye them though .... you must be old!

:poke::poke::poke:

I like your style!View attachment 1566262

My older brother was partial to hi-top, white Chuck Taylor's.
I preferred the low ProKeds, something about those red and blue vertical stripes. My first pair was vivid green, sort of like sassygrass? Had a pair in B7 too!
We never had to dye them though .... you must be old!

:poke::poke::poke:
Me too
B6B74E74-ACDF-462D-9135-8BB56CB622CA.jpeg

white low top Chuck Taylors....... later on it was black high top Reeboks..... always with white socks, never black socks

Then and now.

I like white leather . Preferably nike or New Balance. But have to be all leather.

Not a fan of the fabric style

Last edited:
I have some white leather sneakers IIRC LA Gear, heavy mo-fos
I 'actually' have a pair of real 'tennis shoes' too Rockport Sports
they both are at least 20+ years old..
I probably wear the LA Gears, maybe (?) 1 to 2 times a month
in the summer

When it gets colder or it snows/really wet,
or I'm working on something don't want to mess up my feet...
I wear my Browning work boots or Cabela lace-up boots...

'since I'm fully retired now'
I don't have to wear them much, Rockport dress shoes
I do wear some Skechers' or Redline slip-ons, comfort for them big feet '13 wide'
when I wear shorts, as to not look like some 70's dork-dweeb,
long-socks & boots, in shorts', IMO looks tacky as hell :poke:
(I remember my stepdad Bob doing that, always creeped me out a lil')

Now most the time, like today, I still will wear them, shorts tee-shirt & slip-ons
'probably' until it gets down in the 30's in the daytime or it's cold enough
& it rains or snows...

Ya' gotta love Calif weather, dressing like I'm in a beach town (living in the mountains)
still wearing shorts & a tee-shirt (red white blue/ on a black MoPar **** today)
slip-ons (shoes) with no socks still, a day from Dec. 1st

This year is nothing like last year was, 'thank god'

Redline mesh Slip ons
Shoes 001.JPG

Tennis shoes, LA Gears, Browning steel toe Leather Boots
Shoes 002.JPG

Cabelas
Shoes 004.JPG

lots of shoes I rarely wear now, thongs, Reebock old golf shoes, old white leather sneakers,
cowboy 'ridders heals' boots & ski boots
Shoes 003.JPG

Last edited:
I went to Rebocks for quite awhile, very comfortable. Currently New Balance due to my chiropractors recomendation. 1 pair each in white and black. Definitely helped with lower back strain and as an added bonus straightened out my legs which fixed long time pain in my knees.

Auto Transport Service
Back