• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color are YOUR sneakers ? Then... or now.

I keep mine well organized
3B28499A-857D-4D3A-942B-8CA6A03D8DE2.jpeg

Ive gravitated toward Puma’s lately as well as these comfortable
leathers that go w/anything. Have a black pair too. I’ve since ditched the New Balance and Nikes for a better look (IMO). Comfort is optional but looks are everything. These Puma’s are great “Taursus 6” on Amazon. My wife and nephews let me know I needed to up my game. Out with the old in with the new. I also ditched my old pair of Keens for a sweet Timberland model for hiking etc. Style is everything…Lol
IMG_0160.jpeg

In my youth I had some blue low tops with mustard yellow laces. I still recall people staring. Some adults I think may have never seen anything like it. I was quite little at the time. I think these were the shoes I learned to tie myself lol.
Then had a series of cheap grey shoes.
In the 80's, I had a couple pairs of "Roos" (the kangeroo shoes) My favorite were white with orange and black highlights, high tops.

Then I got into Nike.
Quantum Force:
1701400904147.png

(Not mine)
Very durable.
1701401414272.png

nike Air Flight(not mine) I had the white with black as shown on the far left.

Had 2 years, then right foot popped the air bag lol.

Then I had these:
1701401554959.png

(these are new repro's, not mine) Air Jordan 6. I changed my laces with some blue ones the shoe store had. I am not kidding, most comfortable shoes I have had in my life. The little holes actually did let air go through, if you kicked your foot in the air it would actually have a cooler "breeze" wash over your foot. Full length air, very light, laces all seemed to be just in the right spot. I wore these for three years before they got so ratty I gave up. The repro's are not built 1/3 as good, I have seen them in person.

Then I had 2 pairs of pretty blah black Nikes because they somehow forgot how to make a styleish shoe. The last pair of Nikes I bought were:
1701401831692.png

Nike Air Adjust. The big blue strap was removable and you could get different colors. Bought these when I was in Madison at school, wore these things forever seemed like. Super well built. Pretty sure the olympic basketball team wore a version of these when they came out. Had them so long eventually wore the heel down far enough I was walking on the air bladder, which made it maybe 3 months before it blew then lol.

In my opinion, Nike used top grade leather and materials in the late 80's through maybe the early 2000's. Now they are plastic socks with expanded foam bottoms glued on and they don't fit right. Shame really. last tennis shoes I bought were a pair of grey made in USA New Balance. Very well constructed as well. Stiull have them, but they are dirty, to dirty to wear "nice" anymore. Most of my work shoes were safety toe boots until recently, now i just get black or brown leather "light boots", usually a bit thinner on the bottom then a real work boot but similar look and they break in the same and last decent. last couple were timberlands, a few before that were Doc Martins.
I actually need to get some new ones soon, my Sister lives near Chippewa way on the west side of the state, thought about going to the boot factory store to see if they sold any made in USA hiker type boots or nice leather shoes. Otherwise I will end up with more of these grey New Balance, they are nice.

Does anyone remember the “Bauldi” tennis shoes? They were the big big deal when I was a kid. They had the colored rubber strip on the rounded front. As with everything else that was in during those days we couldn’t afford the real deal so we always had the fake ones. Tanker jackets, Hero jackets w/leather sleeves. We had the vinyl sleeves as a consolidation The tangereen desert boots - everything the cool guys whose parents had money we got the fake version - We didn’t squawk - W/nine kids what was our parents to do. We were cool unto ourselves and never caught any ****, or with 7 boys those who gaveth got it big time from one or more of us. We were lucky to eat 3 hots and a cot….. All of us knew the deal and were happy with what we got. Some kids had no shoes….

I'd like a pair of these 'Mopar Max Soul' sneakers, but their $70 retail price is excessive IMHO . . .

00 1.jpg

I have worn these, exclusively, for more than two decades now:
th.jpg
Nike Air Monarch, whatever "series" it's in now. I think it's currently "Mark IV" or whatever.
Now -why do I wear them and nothing else?
- they're built like tanks and last virtually forever
- they are NOT 16 colors and swoops and splashes and all that visual throw-up
(in fact, I switched to them when the Reebok people stopped making my former favorites).
For me, it was actually a compromise to own sneakers that have any design on them at all,
leave alone more than one color - and I loathe black sneakers.
- they remain the only shoes I've ever encountered in my life that you take out of the box,
slip them on and bam - no break-in needed. At all.
Like, they're instantly comfortable, dig?
I keep a "nice" pair for out and about - and the previous ones, now rotated out of that
spot by age, are used for yard work, rolling around under cars, tractor riding, etc.

Spray Nine keeps the outside presentable. The liner comes out for laundering and I use the
Kiwi spray to keep the reeking to a minimum - and I'll wear the damn things until I'm gone
as long as we can still find them somewhere.
Nike has tried to obsolete them several times over the years, but customer demand keeps
them coming back over and over again - and they're not stupid.
Damn things are extremely comfortable from day 1 and durable as hell - and are available
in 4EE width, critical for me.

My old ones are greenish from mowing the lawn, my good ones are light gray…

oh, my current situation is pathetic....... comfortable, but pathetic

View attachment 1566272
My work boots never were comfortable no matter how well worn they were....
I'd make a fugly hairy *** woman :carrot:
My 2nd X had a hairy *** later in life but it went away once she was in her 60's. What's up with that?? Hair that comes and goes....
A friend of mine in bought a new Gremlin in 73 or so and she got a personalized license plate with PFFLYR on it. It did go pretty good with the V8. Surprised me with the spunk it had.

I have worn these, exclusively, for more than two decades now:
View attachment 1566536
Nike Air Monarch, whatever "series" it's in now. I think it's currently "Mark IV" or whatever.
Now -why do I wear them and nothing else?
- they're built like tanks and last virtually forever
- they are NOT 16 colors and swoops and splashes and all that visual throw-up
(in fact, I switched to them when the Reebok people stopped making my former favorites).
For me, it was actually a compromise to own sneakers that have any design on them at all,
leave alone more than one color - and I loathe black sneakers.
- they remain the only shoes I've ever encountered in my life that you take out of the box,
slip them on and bam - no break-in needed. At all.
Like, they're instantly comfortable, dig?
I keep a "nice" pair for out and about - and the previous ones, now rotated out of that
spot by age, are used for yard work, rolling around under cars, tractor riding, etc.

Spray Nine keeps the outside presentable. The liner comes out for laundering and I use the
Kiwi spray to keep the reeking to a minimum - and I'll wear the damn things until I'm gone
as long as we can still find them somewhere.
Nike has tried to obsolete them several times over the years, but customer demand keeps
them coming back over and over again - and they're not stupid.
Damn things are extremely comfortable from day 1 and durable as hell - and are available
in 4EE width, critical for me.
That's EXACTLY the shoe AND size I only wear these days. Matter of fact, I usually have half a dozen pair at the ready. White, of course.

My wife makes sure I'm dressed appropriately, every color, from canvas to leather and many different name brands. They fit, I wear them, because she said so.............. This closet is just for shoes. The top half of this side are mine. I have more shoes and boots in our master bedroom closet to match all the clothes I'll never wear out. Our coats have there own closet.
20231201_073947.jpg

My wife makes sure I'm dressed appropriately, every color, from canvas to leather and many different name brands. They fit, I wear them, because she said so.............. This closet is just for shoes. The top half of this side are mine. I have more shoes and boots in our master bedroom closet to match all the clothes I'll never wear out. Our coats have there own closet.
View attachment 1566580
Holy smokes - she's shared her addiction with you! :)
Women are by nature shoe hoarders, seems like - I call my wife "Imelda" for just such a reason.
(Some of you will get that reference).
I got a few pair of my sneakers, a pair of steel-toed boots and one pair of "fancy" shoes. That's it.

As a kid, Jack Purcell 'Blue Tips' in White or navy blue. I preferred White, my mom preferred the darker ones as the White was hard to keep clean. I didnt care if they were 'clean' or not, but you know moms...Moved into Pumas - mostly blue - as a late teenager and then to Adidas 'leather ones' - White - in the 80s. Didnt even own any until 15-17 years ago, and then got New Balance on the advice of a Dr for my broken up foot/feet. Hate black tennis shoes, but these ones today are so big that White tends to look like oversized clown shoes, so theyve been grey or black recently. But they are repopping Jack Purcell Blue tiops now, so some of those are in my future, even tho theyre made in redchina. AND some black/White checkerboard Vans. :)

Preferred white for years; but never liked the bling-effect when they were brand new. Got comfier when they showed a little wear. Current tennis shoes are tan and blue. No more white ones for me. Most of the time I wear lighter-weight hiking shoes for the daily projects being retired, not too heavy; but enough to avoid injury if walking into a pallet. They get to looking crappy and doesn’t bother me and don’t get news ones until the sole or something splits. Dislike breaking in new footwear having duck feet.

My cute days are behind as are the days having to dress up for work. If anyone needs a couple dozen neckties, they’re still hanging in the closet for some 25 years now, lol.

I'm done with white/light colored sneakers because they look like crap in a couple months. I now go with brown sneakers as dirt doesn't sow.

View attachment 1566580
is your nickname Emilda ? Imelda (spell) Markos, former 1st lady Philipines (?) IIRC

damn I thought I was bad
just having maybe a dozen pairs of boots & shoes still

I don't wear out my stuff like I did as a kid,
Ones I have, most my shoes & boots are 15-25 years old
except the steel-toed work boots,
but since retired they don't get a lot of use either
I see them lasting 20+ years now too

As a kid "in a month" I'd go through some ChuckConners hi-tops
or PF Flyers worn out or holes
Maybe riding my Schwinn Stingray Pea Picker 5 speed dragging my feet didn't help

My dad when married to his 2nd wife (hot redhead) managed
"The Shoe Stable" chain in the East Bay Area
He also had a delivery co. Orinda Stage Lines
he always supplied us kids with new stylish shoes,
I was a 'desert boots' kid or tennis shoes until I was like 12
I always had riding boots/cowboy boots too...
I was growing fast, every 6 months to a years a size bigger
I got up to 13s in my senior year, got a bit wider but no longer after that...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back