• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Had to rearrange the storage order in the "garden shed". One of my alternative projects got side lined for the time being due to a parts issue. I have to move on to other things.

.View attachment 1461904

This is a 1952 Mahone Bay Plycraft, c/w the original 1952 Johnson 25HP outboard. My father was the original owner. It is un-restored, but original condition. It hasn't seen water for over 50 years, been in a climate controlled garage all that time. I had to clean all the fuel corruption and such from the fuel tanks and carburetor. All new ignition components. Water pump and lower unit seals replaced. Will need to replace the steering cables as well. Just as I was torquing the flywheel back on, the crankshaft broke at the flywheel. Looked to be a very old crack that finally spread. So this project ground to a halt as I now have the source some parts and tear into a bit more motor work than I intended.

So to free up some space, I suspended the "Little Yellow Boat" as it was affectionately known as, from the rafters in the "two car" garden shed.

View attachment 1461905View attachment 1461906View attachment 1461907

It spent the past 50+ years hanging from the ceiling so another year won't hurt. I can now park something else underneath as need be.
much more economical than another 4 post lift, lol.

View attachment 1461903
It's a shame crank broke. Better than on the water.

sheapenetangparkmay823 044.jpg
sheapenetangparkmay823 019.jpg

One of my favorite micro-breweries-

partage-biere_0014_Don-de-dieu.jpg

9%

Funny the wood of the ship playground in your last pic looks like the exact same color as the background in the beer ad.

It's a shame crank broke. Better than on the water.
Fortunately, I have another powerhead, but that entails splitting the cases to retrieve / inspect the crank. Then split the cases on the original motor to replace / repair.

Had to rearrange the storage order in the "garden shed". One of my alternative projects got side lined for the time being due to a parts issue. I have to move on to other things.

.View attachment 1461904

This is a 1952 Mahone Bay Plycraft, c/w the original 1952 Johnson 25HP outboard. My father was the original owner. It is un-restored, but original condition. It hasn't seen water for over 50 years, been in a climate controlled garage all that time. I had to clean all the fuel corruption and such from the fuel tanks and carburetor. All new ignition components. Water pump and lower unit seals replaced. Will need to replace the steering cables as well. Just as I was torquing the flywheel back on, the crankshaft broke at the flywheel. Looked to be a very old crack that finally spread. So this project ground to a halt as I now have the source some parts and tear into a bit more motor work than I intended.

So to free up some space, I suspended the "Little Yellow Boat" as it was affectionately known as, from the rafters in the "two car" garden shed.

View attachment 1461905View attachment 1461906View attachment 1461907

It spent the past 50+ years hanging from the ceiling so another year won't hurt. I can now park something else underneath as need be.
much more economical than another 4 post lift, lol.

View attachment 1461903

Rearranging the garden shed and parking continues.

20230508_124842.jpg

Now the Ski Nautique r&r is finished and out of my garage bay.

20230508_155355.jpg

20230508_160319.jpg

Now all of the hot rods are easily accessible back in the garage.
I knew the modern Challenger is a big car, but bigger than a B Body? I am height restricted in my garage and the Challenger is too high to stack a car above or below it on the lift.

Cleaning and arranging the "shop". Bins and boxes of parts for swap-meets. If it's not related to 3 of my particular cars....it's getting sold. No car shows for me this year. Just selling off inventory. My life will be much easier, without all this crap. Unfortunately, I have 2 more garages, an attic, and basement with more stuff. The ultimate plan, is to get out of the hobby and GTFO outta Mi.

Mixing pre-Mother's Day cocktails and yes the Sunday cruise was requested...

33% 100LL AV gas to 67% Premium, or there abouts.
mothersdaycruisemay142023 001.jpg

Topped three cars.
mothersdaycruisemay142023 013.jpg

They sure don't make these child seats material friendly, full of sharp edges.
mothersdaycruisemay142023 019.jpg

Tether tab came in handy to mount the mirror. Still can't have the kid forward apparently.
mothersdaycruisemay142023 029.jpg

Ready to roll. Was hoping to take all 4 but our Son won't be here and I'm not letting the Son in Law drive the Bee. Probably can't drive a standard anyhow...
mothersdaycruisemay142023 026.jpg

I trap em with a hav-a-heart trap, then take them on other side of interstate, and drop them off in a wooded area near the Army base, which is within the 1 mile limit set by the town/state (as the crow flies). If they want to return, they gotta cross 8 miles of high sped traffic. I even paint them red to see if they find their way back, as they have a tendency to return if they can sniff out their old locations. Unfortunately I can't shoot em, and no creeks/ponds nearby to drown em, or I would. Vile creatures..

I cover the traps in a dark tarp, no food needed. They think it's another cave and like guys with expendable income and free booze at BJ, they lose all sense of reality. I catch em usually within a day or 2. And I've made sure I'm in bed of my truck when I open, as I've had a couple come back at me once lose. I close them at night as one night I left it open and caught a skunk. That was fun getting him out without being sprayed.
I have a 'live tender trap' too and got a racoon once. Guess he got tired of being in it before getting to it because that sucker broke out. He bent things up a bit but was able to fix it for another day. Never saw that coon again lol
Installed a new valve stem in my "nice" set of "roller" wheels and tires.
The old one was rotten and snapped off when I went to air it up.
View attachment 1461910View attachment 1461911

Man, I LOVE having a tire machine.

Wait, does that count as "working on the car"?
Looks pretty close to the couple of tire irons I have....but my 'main' one is homemade from a 5/8" stainless steel round bar that was heated and bent some and then ground a groove for the tire bead. Longer and more leverage!

Oh, and I drove by an older house being remodeled and noticed they had thrown a 3 foot box fan in the dumpster. People were there (windows open, music playing, truck in the driveway), but I couldn't find anyone.
Sure be nice to have another large, free fan for the shop.
Think I'll go by again today after work.
If the dumpster wasn't on their property......well, it's free for the taking. :)

Cleaning and arranging the "shop". Bins and boxes of parts for swap-meets. If it's not related to 3 of my particular cars....it's getting sold. No car shows for me this year. Just selling off inventory. My life will be much easier, without all this crap. Unfortunately, I have 2 more garages, an attic, and basement with more stuff. The ultimate plan, is to get out of the hobby and GTFO outta Mi.
At one point I had 12 cars with 6 running and registered....today there's 3 registered and running and then my 66 which is still apart. :(
Looking good!!

Finally.....got the 29.5 tires off the back of my 95 V6 Dakota (265/75) and replaced them with a pair of 25.5 tires. Dang V6 doesn't have enough nuts to pull a tire that tall especially going up hill. Swapped out the tires today plus installed the muffler and cat back on it since it's inspection time this month but got it passed last year with the straight pipe :D Didn't wanna pull the wool over the guy again. Last year I drove it into the shop at an idle and shut off the engine then let him walk back into the office before firing it back up to leave was a bit under handed as he doesn't drive it or look under the hood or under the vehicle. Been taking it there for years and also tip him pretty good since it doesn't have to pass emissions anymore. It looks kinda goofy with the 205/70-15's on the back and 235/75-15's on the front but don't care anymore.

Had one 205 from a couple of years ago after having a flat and my jack failing and wasn't too far from a Discount Tire shop. I had my spare in the bed already when I got there rolling on the failed belted tire but they wouldn't let me borrow a jack so I could change it and get home which was about 5 more miles up the road because they didn't want to be liable for if my very old spare blew out on the way home and killed me or someone else while driving 40 mph. Probably should have just said by-by and rolled off with the messed up shredded tire still on the truck. Anyway, bought a 205 tire from them that day and figured would just use it for a spare once I got another pair of tires but thought getting another to match it would be better. Thing is, the brand isn't made in the 205/70 anymore but ChinaMart had a different brand in the same size so, what the heck and the rollout was the same. All I know is I'm sick of the liability issues these big box stores have and don't really want to mess with them anymore. Kinda wonder if Discount Tire would even sell me a 'bare' tire like ChinaMart did? Anyways, still have my bubble balancer and don't have a tire machine anymore but mounting a tire on an alloy rim by hand isn't all that hard.....and of course this tire just had to be on the tight side! It did balance fairly easily though but haven't had it up to 80 yet to see if I'm still good with the bubble balance machine. Also have a working jack in the truck now..... :D

The things we do around here for shits and giggles! Not as brave as I once was, I actually threw on my safety harness...

Stuck 20 feet short of destination, thankfully got her onto some boards and to where I needed it.
treecuttingmay2023 001.jpg

Figured this 150 year old Red Oak should go for veneer before it drops and crushes the marine cans. Promised the logger I'd get the tops off.
treecuttingmay2023 005.jpg

A triple tree, almost 100 feet high.
treecuttingmay2023 020.jpg

Placement is everything! Right between the cans, didn't even hit the hydro meter!

The wind helped me with this one, I figured it might end up on the machine and it did with zero damage. It actually helped keep it off the shop roof!

OTHER than a LOT of clean up and 16" length cutting and splitting my job here is done. Just in time, as the logger has about 5 trees left North of these before these need to be cut and dragged out as he works his way South.
treecuttingmay2023 047.jpg

Recovering from my Alaska cruise. Eight days of travel. The ship was amazing. The port calls were far too short to really do anything. Expensive? Hell, yes it was! I figure one-and-done on my desire for ocean cruising. It was a great deal of fun. But, the air layovers going to and from Seattle were beyond ridiculous! Along with the crazy routing; the flight portion absolutely sucked.

Auto Transport Service
Back