• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Picked up my son's '76 Buick Skylark at the transmission shop. Turned out the PO had installed the incorrect filter way back when. It worked for a long time, until of course, it didn't. Changed the filter, oil, pan gasket, and a leaky seal at the speedometer pinion, and she's like brand new. I guess the TH200R automatic isn't terribly common these days. I was concerned that, with the way it was slipping and sorta-shifting, I might have a full transmission overhaul on my hands. Thankfully, that wasn't the case!

Been de-commissioning a Quarry this week. This is the Banana belt.
Just over four years I've had out of the plant workwise.....thinning down now.
20240328_110136.jpg

Took Montana out for a spin yesterday...
Needed him to pick up a load of wood pellets, to get me through the rest of the season.
Nah, not really... I just needed another excuse to take him out for a spin. I love driving that truck!

IMG_8005.JPG

Didn't gm have a vehicle called "Montana"?

...you could get emblems.

I have "Express" emblems on my step-side wanna be LRE clone from a chevy van with the bow tie part cut off.

Didn't gm have a vehicle called "Montana"?

...you could get emblems.

I have "Express" emblems on my step-side wanna be LRE clone from a chevy van with the bow tie part cut off.
I have one, it's a Pontiac minivan.

installing some FRP at my project in battle creek, and trying to move
09cc1067-5b13-45eb-9f4b-ef3bc0c89c38.jpg
23b5846c-6b47-47c3-a84e-a49bea9d3b1c.jpg
20240327_164809.jpg
into the new shop, cleared up some room in the barn to stash a few things for now, going to go slow and reorganize, want to make the best of the new space. then re-do the barn (old shop) for storage and assembly. No piss drips or expensive toliet shots. :lol:

Last month I got a quote for gutter installation...$5000. Lol, not in this shitty economy fella. So I ordered all necessary supplies from Lowes for $1159 and started today. Assembled the sections on my patio.
20240401_115853.jpg
20240401_115847.jpg
20240401_120427.jpg
20240401_130402.jpg
Riveted all the connections and used black roof caulk for the wet joints. Went well, except for the 40mph wind gusts. I'll save the long runs for calmer weather.

A gutter is next on my project list.
For some reason, one half of the front of the house never had one installed.
I made an attempt shortly after I moved in but ran into-
The roof on the carport actually slopes towards the house!
That means the end that needs to be high (in the interior corner) needs to be really high and the end that needs to be low risks being lower than the eave!
...and, the driveway slopes away from the house (glad they got that right), so you can't really use that (or the roof) to measure for the proper slope.
Maybe that's why one never got installed there.
I did the best I could but wasn't satisfied and didn't finish the downspout or end cap.

So, 20 years later, I'm revisiting with a better plan.
Interesting that now they want you to assemble the downspout connector yourself, however I did find an older school part that was pre-pressed and caulked. The supply of brown, aluminum parts was pathetic at my local Lowes, so had to go to the next city.

In order to mark my slope, I made a 19.5 foot straight edge from an old shower door track someone threw in my dumpster and a short section of "Kindorf".
It was surprisingly easy. I only had to drill six holes...and there's practically no deflection...and it's light.

The previous owners definitely cheaped out by not putting in gutters. Water came off the roof in sheets over the front door and around the covered porch in back. The longest run on the side of the house will have 2 downspouts at either end. They make downspout fittings that get scabbed into the gutters but they looked chintzy so I opted to cut my own.

Had lunch in the ghetto, with Tom Tignanelli of Shadowoods note.

Remember the old game called Operation.?
This reminds me of that.
Installing cam and lifters in a 8.3 cummins. All the lifters come out/go in through the front cam bearing.

20240403_162012.jpg

Practiced making black and tans as I somehow missed St Patrick's day altogether.

View attachment 1632317

If halloween candy is 1/2 price November 1, and Valentine's day candy is 1/2 price on Feb 15...

Shouldn't Guinness and Harp be 1/2 price the day after St Pat's?
Guinness and harp is a half-n-half.

Guinness and BASS, is a black-n-tan.

This reminds me of that.
Installing cam and lifters in a 8.3 cummins. All the lifters come out/go in through the front cam bearing.

View attachment 1640681
That reminds me of the time I had to replace the lifters on an Olds 350 engine. They were mushroomed on the bottom and couldn't come out the top, so I had to pull the cam and push them through. I made a U-shaped tray to fit in the cam bore and dropped them into that.

This reminds me of that.

View attachment 1640681
Ouch! Is that similar to a 5.9? Been awhile since being in the front end of my 5.9

Been driving the 'new' 64 Dart mainly on the easement behind my place. Not a problem to hit 45mph but the campus cops to the east thinks they own the county 'road' that skirts the flood control ditch so I'm laying low for a bit but I do make my turnaround on their property. Still cleaning up at my girlfriends place but haven't done much in the past week except for doing yard work on mine the last couple of days. Spent several hours on laying down some weed and feed fertilizer on the front yard yesterday and watering it in then cleaning up the edging along the driveway late yesterday and early today. That dang thing is over 100 feet long. I know several here have much longer drives but not sure I want one of those lol. Also did some much needed tree pruning and need to do some hard trimming on one that the drought got last summer. Did a little a week ago but it needs more. Sure hope this summer is much wetter.....

Auto Transport Service
Back