• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Hey, they're both Mopars. This isn't like the GM crowd where the Pontiac guys won't talk to the Buick guys; Chev guys won't talk to Olds guys, etc. Oh yeah; nobody talks to the Corvette guys.

Hey, they're both Mopars. This isn't like the GM crowd where the Pontiac guys won't talk to the Buick guys; Chev guys won't talk to Olds guys, etc. Oh yeah; nobody talks to the Corvette guys.
Lol. Yes' it was an attempt at humor. But you are right. Especially Chevy guys? Pontiac and Olds don't exist?

I do spend most my discussions driving my GTX around to the younger folks on the difference between GTO and GTX. I am corigable about their confusion.

Crap. I actually have a 62 Corvette. It's a family heirloom car handed down from my father-in-law. Please still talk to me!

20190602_095319.jpg

But I also own a 70 and 73 Road Runner. Hopefully (and I am a Mopar guy at heart) there is some redemption there.
20171028_165637.jpg

Brad_Roadrunner.jpg

Crap. I actually have a 62 Corvette. It's a family heirloom car handed down from my father-in-law. Please still talk to me!

View attachment 1107920

But I also own a 70 and 73 Road Runner. Hopefully (and I am a Mopar guy at heart) there is some redemption there.
View attachment 1107922

View attachment 1107923
Sorry, Hawk. I did not mean to offend. I was just commenting on the the fact that GM owners seen to be more "compartmentalized" than do Mopar owners. Just an observation from car shows in my area. That is a nice looking '62 Corvette you have . My favourite of C2, with 327 and Stingray style tail ights. Dave

Sorry, Hawk. I did not mean to offend. I was just commenting on the the fact that GM owners seen to be more "compartmentalized" than do Mopar owners. Just an observation from car shows in my area. That is a nice looking '62 Corvette you have . My favourite of C2, with 327 and Stingray style tail ights. Dave
I SAW A CORVETTE HERE? MY EYES? WILL I EVER SEE AGAIN? OK. I think I'll be ok.

Dave, I did not take it as an offense, but rather an opening to have some fun! :drinks:

Funny story: The 62 Vette is unrestored. It has some wear and paint issues but is a 340 HP close ratio 4 speed car with 4.11 rear. My father-in-law always talked about how original the car was, so I decided to enter it into an NCRS judging event. It had the wrong battery, radial tires and an aftermarket radio, but I figured why not? I drove 110 miles to the event in the car while eating a breakfast sandwich. I brushed the crumbs off the seat as I pulled in, watching other cars being pushed out of matching truck/trailers with white gloves (I kid you not).
The car missed Top Flight (the highest award you can get) by 2 points, AND I took the longest distance driven award! I was astounded. And by the way, the cars pushed out with white gloves? Also got second flight!

Hey, when there's a will there's a way!

What welder do you have and what electrode/wire?
I used the el cheapo Horror Fright wire feed with flux core .30” wire. I have the top of the line welder from them too, but I keep it in my neighbor’s garage and he is away. That welder will do wire feed flux core, mig and tig welding. I think the brackets will obviate the need for the frame tabs in the long run.

0509212018_HDR.jpg

Trying to get back in shape after my heart surgery last month. Went to the C&O Canal today (https://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm) - for those who aren't familar, this is the canal that runs along the Potomac river and was used when our nation was young, for massive amounts of trade up and down the river to and from Washington DC. The current path is the old tow-path for the canal, and runs right along the banks of the river. It's "paved" with a decent layer of decomposed granite, and is wide enough for a side-by-side...even though it is strictly a hike & bike trail. I live about 35 minutes from there, and last summer was out there every Sunday.

Normally, I ride about 33 miles and my average time is 2:30, and speed is a little over 14 mph.

Today....sucked. It took me 90 minutes to do 17 miles, averaging only 11.4 mph (I love my Garmin fitness watch app!)...and that was all I had in me. Grrr. But...I made it back to the van, I didn't pass out, I didn't get dizzy...and the van is running great with its new headgasket that I installed on Tuesday (factory 2.5 turbo motor with higher-than-stock boost, plus an intercooler, at 125k miles).

View attachment 1108366

Trying to get back in shape after my heart surgery last month. Went to the C&O Canal today (https://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm) - for those who aren't familar, this is the canal that runs along the Potomac river and was used when our nation was young, for massive amounts of trade up and down the river to and from Washington DC. The current path is the old tow-path for the canal, and runs right along the banks of the river. It's "paved" with a decent layer of decomposed granite, and is wide enough for a side-by-side...even though it is strictly a hike & bike trail. I live about 35 minutes from there, and last summer was out there every Sunday.

Normally, I ride about 33 miles and my average time is 2:30, and speed is a little over 14 mph.

Today....sucked. It took me 90 minutes to do 17 miles, averaging only 11.4 mph (I love my Garmin fitness watch app!)...and that was all I had in me. Grrr. But...I made it back to the van, I didn't pass out, I didn't get dizzy...and the van is running great with its new headgasket that I installed on Tuesday (factory 2.5 turbo motor with higher-than-stock boost, plus an intercooler, at 125k miles).
I've been on a kick lately with trying to get back in better shape only by running. I boogered both knees doing to much flooring and have had back problems in the past, running helps tremendously. I'm only about a month in but have made huge strides, feeling much lighter on my feet and the 6 mile morning jogs go much easier now.

Good luck on the recovery:thumbsup:

I helped my son clean up around our friends pond. The outflow trench was plugged up with 20 years of build up.
We lowered the level probably 6-8 inches over a the past week.
(Didn't want to flood out the neighbors)
They had put a pretty secure fence around it when their children were young as protection. In and around it was totally overgrown. When all the foliage is out you can hardly see the pond.
My son did most of the work I just ran a saw for a few hours but it was tiring.
Probably one more full day to finish and clean up the shoreline.

IMG_20210509_145934021.jpg IMG_20210509_145950265.jpg IMG_20210509_150008874.jpg

I've been on a kick lately with trying to get back in better shape only by running. I boogered both knees doing to much flooring and have had back problems in the past, running helps tremendously. I'm only about a month in but have made huge strides, feeling much lighter on my feet and the 6 mile morning jogs go much easier now.

Good luck on the recovery:thumbsup:

I used to enjoy running - and was pretty darn good at sprints, too! But years of abuse, a couple motorcycle accidents, a metal femur, a metal tib-fib, a metal hip, a calf muscle-wrap, and a bunch of screws holding everything together...running is nothing but a fond memory for me now. If I try to get across the street in a hurry, I look like I should be wearing a helmet :( Good on you for running, I'm jealous!

No it didn't! You got out there and rode, and THAT is 90% of the battle - well done!

Thank you - I'm clinging to that right now! I refuse to give into the fact that I'm nearly 50 years old...I have to grow old, but I'll be damned if I have to grow up!!

Basically, I've been sidelined for months over this heart crap. I can barely get through 1,000 meters on the rowing machine right now and that pisses me off, so I figured - even though it was spitting rain and chilly out - I was gonna give the cycling a try. The C&O is flat (ish - total elevation change for my 8.5 mile route - up and back - yesterday was ten feet) so I figured it would be as low-stress as possible for these pathetic legs. I live on a mountain near a decomissioned Army base and normally do 6 miles a day around it, typical lap time for that is about 25 minutes (I'm afraid to see what that would be right now, ugh!)...but with all the up-and-down (nearly a 400' elevation change on that ride) I figured the flat trail for a pure cardio workout would be a better starting point.

And I know, it's a starting point...but anger and frustration are great motivators for me :thumbsup:

I used to enjoy running - and was pretty darn good at sprints, too! But years of abuse, a couple motorcycle accidents, a metal femur, a metal tib-fib, a metal hip, a calf muscle-wrap, and a bunch of screws holding everything together...running is nothing but a fond memory for me now. If I try to get across the street in a hurry, I look like I should be wearing a helmet :( Good on you for running, I'm jealous!

Thank you - I'm clinging to that right now! I refuse to give into the fact that I'm nearly 50 years old...I have to grow old, but I'll be damned if I have to grow up!!

Basically, I've been sidelined for months over this heart crap. I can barely get through 1,000 meters on the rowing machine right now and that pisses me off, so I figured - even though it was spitting rain and chilly out - I was gonna give the cycling a try. The C&O is flat (ish - total elevation change for my 8.5 mile route - up and back - yesterday was ten feet) so I figured it would be as low-stress as possible for these pathetic legs. I live on a mountain near a decomissioned Army base and normally do 6 miles a day around it, typical lap time for that is about 25 minutes (I'm afraid to see what that would be right now, ugh!)...but with all the up-and-down (nearly a 400' elevation change on that ride) I figured the flat trail for a pure cardio workout would be a better starting point.

And I know, it's a starting point...but anger and frustration are great motivators for me :thumbsup:

Seems like we have a lot in common. In 1999, I won our companies "rowing regatta" for my age group (and weight class - there were two). It was all with Concept II rowing machines and I rowed 2000 meters in 5:58. I'm not sure I could do that now for 1000 meters! In 2001, my hips gave out on me, so after surgery I had to give up running. Instead, I started biking and became quite decent at it. Now, approaching 56 years old I am FAR from my earlier conditioning. But I am back on the bike and trying to get heart and lungs to cooperate again!

Keep at it - at whatever level you can, since everything you do will help you be healthier and live longer! :thumbsup:

I went through my Corvette phase a few years back. I had a sweet '95 C4 LT1 car - with 162K miles on it when I traded it off! I got tired of people being ******** to me, just because I was driving a Corvette. And the local Vette people are compartmentalized amongst themselves like you wouldn't believe! C4 guys don't like the new cars. The new-car guys don't recognize anyone else! And the C1-C2 guys don't want to talk to you if you don't own one. I went to one local Corvette club meeting and one show. That was all I needed. But, damn! That was really a fun car to drive! Getting in and out of it proved to be tougher and tougher. I'm not as flexible as I was 20 years ago.

So, off she went. After a year and a half, she got traded for my current driver, a '14 Passat TDi SE. A fun car in itself. Can't gripe about getting 40-42 mpg @ 80 mph on the expressway, or 34 in-town. Plus, it flat-out flies down the road n comfort and style. On a trip to northern Colorado last year, I got 44 mpg, and nearly made it from north suburban Denver to OKC on ONE tankful! I chickened out and filled up about 100 miles from home. I still had 1-1/2 gallons in the tank. Coulda made it! Or not.

murder vette.jpg View attachment 1108916 VW and Vette.jpg

Last edited:
I almost bought a 93 LT-1 manual trans car.

I almost fit in the C4 (vs not fitting at all in a C3, 5 or 6), but those door sills....

Sunday afternoon....did some work around my home for a change. Pre-wired for some garden lighting. I bought the hedge plants during the week....so I had to get these conduits in.
Bought a nice low wattage wall fitting to try out. Painted the block columns again and pre painted the boards that will go across the centre rails for the lights.
:xscuseless:

20210516_160550.jpg
20210516_160607.jpg

All solar and UV rated conduits and boxes....and stainless saddles and screws. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back