• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Made a quick trip to the grocery store just before 7 this morning then did a bit in the shop until noon. Still digging out stuff that's going to the scrap yard and put away a few small tools. Also put up a piece of sheet metal to block the sun in my 'pee' area. Only hit 102 today but there wasn't much of a breeze so went into the house and did a few things in there and grew roots in the recliner after. Also ordered another grab bar for the guest bathroom since I use it and so do some of what's left of my friends.

All that talk about those scorching temps your tortured with Cranky. I'm thinking winter and lots of snow. So I made myself one of those swinging mailboxes. Just waiting for the truck plow now. Not so much the plow but the snow/slush that he throws as he goes by at 50mph. lol
I must have about a dozen rebuilds on that old mailbox and stand. The force of the snow snaps the pole (1"black iron pipe) sends the mailbox flying. Denting and smashing the poor old thing. That's the same box I bought when I bought my house 32 years ago. Yes, I like the good old things! :lol:

mailbox.jpg

Last edited:
All that talk about those scorching temps your tortured with Cranky. I'm thinking winter and lots of snow. So I made myself one of those swinging mailboxes. Just waiting for the truck plow now. Not so much the plow but the snow/slush that he throws as he goes by at 50mph. lol
I must have about a dozen rebuilds on that old mailbox and stand. The force of the snow snaps the pole (1"black iron pipe) sends the mailbox flying. Denting and smashing the poor old thing. That's the same box I bought when I bought my house 32 years ago. Yes, I like the good old things! :lol:

View attachment 1516357
I built a mailbox guard for a buddy of mine about 25 years ago. Heavy wall iron pipe for the post and 1/4 inch steel plate for the base for the box to sit on then it has 3/4" round bar guard rails on both sides. The guardrail on the approach side is bent a little bit and that's it. I'm thinking whoever was beating on his mailbox got a pretty good surprise on that one.

And I came into the house at noon time when the temp hit 97 but went back out to get something 45 minutes later and it was already 100. I knew it was pretty hot when I walked back out and it hit me in the face....the temp was 82 at 8am

Last edited:
I hit the like button Cranky, but I really don't like that kind of heat. I'm very happy with the 60-70 range. I can deal with 20*F to 10*F better than I could deal with that 80 to 100 stuff.
Yeah few fellas up here built plow proof mailboxes and stands but they have to come good for the damages to the plows. lol

100 yesterday and 97 with some intermittent rain today.

Still doin house rehab.

100 yesterday and 97 with some intermittent rain today.
....you can keep that heat. :lol:

Mowed the lawns yesterday - first time in nearly 2 months. Not much growth even though it virtually hasn't stopped raining since mid-January.

Flew home, cut the grass, paid the bills, wrote another nasty email to Hagerty's rep Aviva/Elite Insurance and then flew back to camp.

Downtown Sturgeon Falls.
20230827_085213.jpg

Wood mill in Sturgeon Falls
20230827_085237.jpg

Morning sun glistening off a cruise boat in Parry Sound Harbour.
20230827_093149.jpg

I'm out of here!
20230827_153224.jpg

It hit 108 here today and been in the house pretty much where I hung another grab bar in the 'quest' bath. About 15 minutes ago it was 107 and now it's 106 and I'm in the shop. Tired of being in the freaking house!!! Have never liked being inside....and it's just now 6:35pm.

Flew home, cut the grass, paid the bills, wrote another nasty email to Hagerty's rep Aviva/Elite Insurance and then flew back to camp.

Downtown Sturgeon Falls.
View attachment 1516462
Wood mill in Sturgeon Falls
View attachment 1516463
Morning sun glistening off a cruise boat in Parry Sound Harbour.
View attachment 1516464
I'm out of here!
View attachment 1516465
Man, I love being up.....and especially during the summer when anything above 1000 ft is in the low 70's! Been way too long since being up there.

Not today but last weekend we spent 4 days on the Cheasapeake… Beautiful weather, great sunsets and went out crabbing one morning caught about 3 dozen nice crabs and came back cleaned them and steamed them up with some fresh corn… Nothing like fresh blue claw crabs.

2A200711-C682-4B11-9546-26AAEF96B0A4.jpeg

D3EFF3A5-2D19-4939-9ADC-B898E657081A.jpeg

08048135-0965-43F8-B68B-4FC1814CA63A.jpeg

Last edited:
Not today but last weekend we spent 4 days on the Cheasapeake… Beautiful weather and went out crabbing one morning caught about 3 dozen nice crabs and came back cleaned them and steamed them up with some fresh corn… Nothing like fresh blue claw crabs.

View attachment 1516523

View attachment 1516528
Man, when I was a kid living up in the NE, we'd go and crap on Cape Cod canal and always brought in several crab and one night we got a lobster...and also got flounder. I remember dad beaming about that. Kinda hard to believe that when we moved to the Gulf Coast, we never went fishing anymore. The Gulf Coast is a popular fishing grounds.....

Worked on the front end of the charger this afternoon and then cut down my hops.

Looks like a great crop this year.
IMG_20230827_183309888.jpg
IMG_20230827_183321640.jpg
IMG_20230827_183326944.jpg

Man, I'm having a hard time keeping my okra alive!! Watering it 3 times a day.....
It's rained a lot here this summer. Cool and wet.
Great for growing stuff. Never got a break from mowing the lawn this year.

Cleaned up my bird today. Decided I'm taking off the headers and replacing them with stock manifolds.

I took the 71 Charger R/T to the park,then I picked up a pair of 70 Road Runner fenders for a fellow Fbbo member and friend,then drank beer with my friends!

20230827_111427.jpg

20230827_111409.jpg

20230827_152826.jpg

Last edited:
Welp, sold the car. Would have taken too long and too much effort to put into an original 318 car anyway and rather have a more rare or high optioned car to build out that way. So we bought a truck this past weekend out of SC. It has a rebuilt title because of some idiot trying to pull insurance fraud on it previously so now I have to pay $130 to have it inspected(tomorrow), another $118 money order I have to send to the state of GA, and THEN wait another 2 weeks before going to the tag office to get the tag and whatever it's going to cost. FUN TIMES!
For the deal I got on this '99 7.3l diesel though, it's worth the hassle. Now it's time to find a car trailer and get to work.
20230830_163529.jpg20230830_163542.jpg

Took my wife out for ice-cream up north yesterday. Decent weather.....and nice ice-cream & gelato. Little factory shop that supplies Supermarkets etc

:xscuseless:

20230829_114121.jpg
20230829_114118.jpg
20230829_114128.jpg

@MarPar ..... a little friend dropped by to wait for a taste...... no music this time. :lol:

20230829_114455.jpg

back at it on the new shop, insulaters foamed the building, got the mezzanine built out of wood, Now channeling the ceiling and steel studding the remainder walls sparky suppossed to be here next week after the holiday. Then drywall ceiling osb the walls, paint, plumbing fixtures, overhead door and move in. Hell of a project, they seem to get harder and harder to finish as I get older, such is life.
20230829_132550.jpg
20230829_132554.jpg
:lol:

back at it on the new shop, insulaters foamed the building, got the mezzanine built out of wood, Now channeling the ceiling and steel studding the remainder walls sparky suppossed to be here next week after the holiday. Then drywall ceiling osb the walls, paint, plumbing fixtures, overhead door and move in. Hell of a project, they seem to get harder and harder to finish as I get older, such is life. View attachment 1518216View attachment 1518217:lol:
So? How do you like working with the steel framing? Any real advantages while working with it that you can see?

Auto Transport Service
Back