• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Do You Like Better, The Superbird Or Daytona?

Which Is Best?

• Total voters
I especially like the Lemon Twist and Black vinyl top w/black stripes and interior

You like a lemon twist Bird huh. Here's one for ya. It's my buddies car. Check out www.RalphsRapidTransit.com
BIRD-10.JPG

Although I have a bird (second one for me), I gotta say the Daytona's body lines are a little more awesome...a '69 Charger dressed up for racing! I only wish I had one...

I chose the Superbird....having previously owned a '70 Road Runner and a '70 GTX....I guess Plymouth is burned into my brain.
I do still like the Daytona also....but if it's comes to making a choice. :thumbsup:

Can I vote twice??
:usflag::usflag::usflag:

DAYTONA :lol: IMO looks racier, better body lines.... Fastback window!!
baker 200 mph blue dodge daytona 88.jpg

Just to throw a wrench in.... i like the 69 charger 500 best. (We were talking nascar racer street versions, right?)
I think OP is think wing cars only...

But a 500 gets no love!

It was a great short track car, getting Isaac a ton of wins in 1969 and folks don't know he also drove it in 1970 on certain short tracks.
The 500 and his 2 tunnelback 1970 Chargers got his 11 wins on short tracks and the driver Championship in 1970!

You like a lemon twist Bird huh. Here's one for ya. It's my buddies car. Check out www.RalphsRapidTransit.comView attachment 832783
I checked it out...thanks.
A V-code too, like my 70 Roadrunner!!
4.10 with a 4 speed in a Superbird just doesn't seem appropriate. Kills top speed! Great for fun and the 1320, I can speak from experience, but I switched out the factory 3.54 for 4.10s when I got the OD 5 speed. If my Roadrunner was a Superbird I would have kept the 3.54s with the OD 5 speed, because I don't doubt that a warmed up 440+6bbl can pull redline in a Superbird set up with a .80 OD and 3.54s. Possibly still pull redline with 3.23s and the OD 5 speed!

We need a few more Daytona votes!!!
Daytonas are more exciting, as seen here in this Chrysler document!!
fake 88 chrysler document 1970.jpg

Just because this thread reminded me, I will be at Cruisin the Coast, but there is a GREAT event at Tim and Pam Wellborn's home and at 2 race tracks, and other places in October!
50th anniversary of the Aero Warrior and the 50th Anniversary of the Talladega Super Speedway!!
http://www.wellbornmusclecarmuseum.com/aero-reunion

Bird for me ! I was drawn to it at the age of 9 or 10 (1973). Like the wing being more raked back and not so upright as the Daytona and the Bird nose just looks better all around.

Btw..I just became a PROUD Bird owner myself. Dreams do come true if you believe!

View attachment 830713
DUDE!!!! That is awesome!! I have been saving for 20 years to buy a bird, but they keep going up in value. One day, maybe soon, I will re-live the dream. In 1995 I bought a beater Superbird for $8500. Unfortunately I had to sell it to make ends meet.

Race Birdy photo.

This is the Woodward Garage test SuperBird.
(Woodward Garage "South" was based in Huntsville, Alabama)

In this pic, the engine from the #88 Daytona was swapped into it for testing at Talladega, early April, 1970. Charlie Glotzbach and Pete Hamilton did the test driving. The Bird needed more body rake to get near the #88 Daytona speed.
woodward garage superbird with 200 mph engine from #88. 4-70 test at talladega.jpg

View attachment 751501
I liked the larger fins and steeper rake to the Superbird tail, and the cleaner nose without the center grill.

Center grill was one of the things that made Daytonas faster...
(along with a real fastback rear glass)

#88 sat on the Pole for the first Talladega race at 199.464.

With the tire boycott all the top Dodge and Ford guys left the track, leaving Isaac to lead the field at 196.386 to start the race.

FIRST talladega 500 race line up sept_ 1969.jpg

Maiden voyage, upgraded to Daytona status from a Charger 500 - DC-93, at the Chelsea Proving Grounds. July 13th and 20th. 1969 On the 20th, it ran 205 mph. DC-93 was numbered 88 later in Sept. to qualify on the Pole for the first Talladega race. Look at the back of the hauler... !!!!!
:thumbsup:
CPG july 13 and 20th., 1969 (2).jpg

Tire technology wasn't up to 200 mph.

Talking about the word "BAKER" on the back of the hauler. I found that prophetic, since Buddy ran 200.447 the following March at Talladega!

As far as tires, since the car DID run 205 at Chelsea, guess they were, IF you had the proper set up.

Talking about the word "BAKER" on the back of the hauler. I found that prophetic, since Buddy ran 200.447 the following March at Talladega!
As far as tires, since the car DID run 205 at Chelsea, guess they were, IF you had the proper set up.
They were shredding them.

Tire technology wasn't up to 200 mph.
In 1957 Firestone was already building racing tires designed for 190 mph. They knew how to build tires for speed, they were selling tires that were fitted to jet fighters with high landing speeds. Art Arfons 1965 land speed record was on Firestone tires, at 576 mph.

Auto Transport Service
Back