• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Do You Like Better, The Superbird Or Daytona?

Which Is Best?

• Total voters
In this article, not the only one to refer to the high speeds the winged cars were achieving, they specifically say tire fatigue at those speeds was a problem.
https://www.cottonowens.com/archives/200mph_Lap.php
If I read that article correctly, they specifically said that as well as speeds, it was the surface of Talladega that was causing problems.

Talladega, brand new for that year, had a more abrasive surface than Daytona. It was so bad that several drivers including Richard Petty boycotted the race (Sept. 14th), and Firestone withdrew their tires from the race. Goodyear tires were used instead, without failure.

In this article, not the only one to refer to the high speeds the winged cars were achieving, they specifically say tire fatigue at those speeds was a problem.
https://www.cottonowens.com/archives/200mph_Lap.php

That article is so full of lies it isn't even funny.
You know that any Owens Daytona NEVER ran 200 any place, any time.
The #6 pictured is The Showcar Daytona, that Chrysler had Cotton build for them.
It did the show car circuit in 70-72. Chrysler then donated it to the Weatherly Museum at Darlington. Buddy Baker never even sat in the car!!
Years later, Cotton grabbed it out of the Weatherly Museum, and sold it like it was his!!! Pocketed the cash, which belonged to the Museum!

This has all been documented on dodgecharger.com on various threads.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,133190.0.html
Start with this - vintage pics offer proof.

Pics show the #6 showcar at the NY Auto Show, the same day it was racing at Talladega in April, 1970!!

Last edited:
Neither one. -- Worth a lot of money, but ugly. -- My 2 cents.

Found a few more pics from the very first Talladega race. Charlie Glotzbach being congratulated after winning the pole, at world record speed.
The girl is "Miss Talladega".

Painting the "88" on DC-93 to enable it to legally run is pretty cool, IMO.

_88 Daytona at Talladega  500 alabama nascar dodge charger 1969.jpg
_88 door number talladega 500 alabama dodge charger nascar pole winner.jpg
69  dodge charger daytona  chrysler engineering  charlie glotzbach.jpg

The Charger Daytona for sure. It was the 1st Wing Car, designed strictly by engineers to go fast and win. The design folks added some nice touches to the Superbird (the sleeker wing and nose) but, I’ve always liked the curvy Coke Bottle lines and rear end on the Charger which are obviously part of the Daytona. Plus, dad owned a ‘69 Charger he ordered new and I still own!

Forgot to add... I liked the 440+6 engine option on the Superbird, which wasn't available on Daytona.

I like the fact that a Daytona wasn't limited to a few "LifeSaver" colors.

Any color you wanted, which makes a few, like silver, red interior and red wing, VERY COOL!

:moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley:

Charlie on the Pole, World Record. Too bad there was the tire boycott.
Would have been great to see the BIG GUNS run!!!
88- Sept_ 1969 pole position first talladega race nichels  dodge charger daytona.jpg

The Superbird has the added plus of the Roadrunner "beep-beep" horn! Love the Roadrunner character with the racing helmet too!
SUPERBIRD! :bananadance:

Birds aren't as stable as Daytonas!!
daytonas because burds arent as stable!.png

Put a DODGE in Your Garage!! :moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley:

The real answer should have been…what difference does it make….both of the wingcars were the most outrageous vehicles Detroit ever sold through the showroom. Pretty…No…functional…Yes. They were built for one reason, and one reason only….to win races. (The street versions were a necessary outcome, if they wanted to race them in NASCAR: had to build at least 500 for the street). The figures are all over the place, but many quote the following: Charger 500; 395 built, Daytona Charger; 503 built, Superbird; 1920 built. Note that Bill France tried to halt future “funny cars” being built for stock car racing by changing the rules for 1970…now manufactures had to build one car for every two dealer ships, which is why Plymouth had to build so many Superbirds. It is also why many Superbirds sat unsold for upwards of several years…most people didn’t want a “wing thing” in their drive way.

The Daytona was designed by the racing side of Chrysler with no input from the styling department. However, when the Superbird was designed they allowed the styling guys to add their input (to a point anyway). So the Superbird was a bit less aerodynamic than the Daytona, BUT, Plymouth had won back Richard Petty Ford with the Bird, so it was a big win for the guys at Plymouth. And, speaking of Petty and the Bird…it is often written that it was the Superbird that bought Petty back to Chrysler. Which is true…but there was another thing Petty wanted and got along with a wingcar, and it was the deal in which Petty Enterprises became the source for all Chrysler racing parts within NASCAR.

But the way, Chrysler was already developing the next generation of wingcars based on the ’71 bodies when NASCAR pulled the plug on any future “wingcars”. And, so ended the Aero Wars between Chrysler and Ford in NASCAR.

So back to the original question…..Which one? Being a Charger guy, my heart leans towards the Daytona. But having owned two ‘Birds and one Daytona Clone….I have to go with the Superbird as it offered high impact colors, a better looking nose and wing, and…..of course the most “fun” horn ever….Beep, Beep.

I owned real Birds only because I didn't run across a Daytona for sale!
To me, a Bird was a stepping stone to a Daytona.

Wingcar -You forgot to mention that there was a recession in 1970 which tanked muscle car sales and insurance was starting to climb, further dampening sales.

I remember in 1972 when I bought a 68 Charger for 700 bucks and insurance was $325. year! Yikes!

Auto Transport Service
Back