• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does it for you? The old or the new?

As fast as new cars can be, they do not have the "raw bar bending beast muscle" of engines designed from the era of old. That quote is a snip from a 30 year old review of a Saleen S351. But it applies to all the old pushrods we were able to enjoy for roughly 25 years give or take before the era of computer driven stuff took over.

Personally, I like stuff all the way up to the late 90's. Including a lot of the mid 70's stuff and 4 door stuff that most people roll their eyes at. Vehicles used to have character, a brand used to have a meaning, and you used to feel like most of your dream cars were attainable working a blue collar job if you really wanted one. The computers on wheels and the rest of the economic scene have really pushed things away from all that. There are a couple notable cars out there yet but they are basically a brand of their own and share nothing at all with the nameplate on them anymore.

From tractors to trucks to "fast cars" there is beginning to be an understanding of capability, despite ratings, of "old power". Younger generations even use that term now, the real gearheads of the youngsters understand the difference.
You could have fond memories of doing burnouts in Grandpa's Olds 98 sedan. No youngster is going to have fond memories of borrowing Grandpa's Buick LuCerne. Maybe of Grandpa's late 90's Regal.
Quick: name 5 buicks built in the last 15 years. No googling.
That is the main difference. Stuff has no character or soul or memory inducing characteristics.

Totally agree, but sometimes that's okay. I don't want my washing machine to have a soul, just reliability. Kind of feel the same way about my daily driver.
To each their own. Since age 16 I decided life is too short to purposefully buy a vehicle I did not enjoy in some way for it's own merits and uniqueness. Doesn't have to be a hot rod, just needs to be fun in some way and memorable. Been able to do that now going into my 40's so far.

You know where I fall on this. In 1970, Julie Clark told me to run the cheapest, most reliable economy car I could stand when I started working, save my money for the GTX as a weekend toy. I strayed from her advice, and owned a new 2007 Chrysler 300 for a few years, and it never lit my fire. I traded it off on a used Toyota product, which is still my daily driver 12 years later. The GTX is still making me smile, 53 years after the fact. Pictured at the former Clark Motor Company site, yesterday, on the 53rd anniversary of my test drive.
GTX front.jpg

I have twenty plus old ones and one new to me modern one,and I like both. I can drive the modern one everywhere,and with the old school mods it is looking and driving like an old school Mopar. The Hurst pistol grip shifter upgrade,was the best upgrade I have done so far. The shifter returned the old school mechanical feeling to the car. Other than a slightly shorter throw and two more much needed gears,it reminds me of my 70 Challenger R/T 4 speed car. It puts a smile on my face everytime I row it through the gears. The modern version of the old school rallye wheels from Year One look great too. I have more mods and preformance upgrades planned for the car as the budget permits!

20230820_122455.jpg

20230820_122441.jpg

20230515_120331.jpg

20230515_120319.jpg

20230901_092432.jpg

I have old school fast, and uncomfortable. Two 440 powered cars, both with manual steering, manual drum brakes, and no a/c in Arizona.
I'd love to have new school and fast.
To be honest, 70k to spend, I'm buying a hellcat, not a roadrunner.

Last edited:
There is something about the rumble and obvious power of the old Mopars that never leaves once you experience it.

The whine of the starter, the shaking of the vehicle when the engine awakes, the feeling that a touch of the gas pedal delivers and then when you put it in gear and it begins to roll . . .

The new cars have the comfort and performance and I admit to desiring to have one but if being forced to choose, it's like comparing apples to oranges, in that the differences put them in different categories.

The new stuff really does nothing for me. Are they powerful machines capable of out performing the old muscle cars...absolutely, but they just have no personality, character or soul IMO.

What does it for me, old or new? That depend on what I want "done".

New for the comfort and convenience of long drives and blistering heat.

Old .....for everything else.

The store is a good place to go and buy tools. The new stuff is nice and all but I prefer old technology. I went to the store to buy my pickup truck 5 years ago but I'm even questioning that. I'm thinking of looking for a mint 80's pickup to buy that I will be able to keep running until I'm buried, my 18 Won't be able to do that, some computer glitch will prevent it from running another 20 years I reckon.

if I can't tinker, I'm not all that interested

same with bikes...... anyone can have a new one, but there's something special about 50+ year old iron

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/n248/eldubb440/petunia/67petunia001.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
67petunia001.jpg
[/URL]

…But with a vintage ride, the pleasure remains after the price is forgotten…
Well said :thumbsup:

… Better yet buy a 2002 Pontiac Vibe. (Really a Toyota Matrix.) for $5K. It will last forever.
My daughter has one I keep running for her. I hear stories of them running 300k, 400k plus…Wow!

BUT i will take the old any day . it comes with character…
Just like an old Victorian house…character…
Nailed it IMO.

Well said :thumbsup:

My daughter has one I keep running for her. I hear stories of them running 300k, 400k plus…Wow!

Just like an old Victorian house…character…
Nailed it IMO.
I have my Matrix with 289k on the clock and My Savoy with 96k on the clock. I can haul a B-body Dana in my Matrix and still get 33 MPG but my Plymouth only hauls ***.
I can appreciate new fast cars but I like the feeling of being on the edge of control that my stroked big block and a 4 speed gives me. They need to scare you a little bit or what's the point.
Gus

burnout.jpg

New "muscle" is great, I've come close to shelling out for one a few times but resisted. I babysat pop's 2017 'Cat for a while, and it was a blast to drive and very quiet and comfortable...but they just don't satisfy me like the old iron does. Apparently many of you feel the same way!

that is a tuff question. the hellcat is a great car , crisp , powerful, comfortable. the duster is antique. it has much power but not the comfort of todays rides . BUT i will take the old any day . it comes with character, prestige and a faithful following. the people around these cars are generally good good people, and that’s who i choose as company . the cars are a statement of the people who own them . i could go buy a new muscle car but i’d rather build my own . it won’t be a numbers matching mecum car , it will be the hot rod i couldn’t afford to build as a kid ….
I disagree on the "Comfort." These newer factory performance cars have no room. Especially when comparing to a B-body. The hellcat like all today's perforamce is tightly modulated. Can't move much in the seat. And bells & whistles? Are just that. I have a cigarette lighter USB connector that plugs my phone. Bingo. My GTX has a navigation system.

I brought my 4 kids. (Young adults) to an A&W drive in restaurant. We ate burgers and root beer floats in the GTX. I wasn't the most enthusiastic eating in my classic. But that's what I did all the time back in the day. We had a blast. No way one could do that in any performance car of today.

As far as performance? One added treat with B-bodies. They road, and corner better than one would think. I believe its because it's the right size and weight to utilize the then torsion bar technology., Dodge Demon is opposite. It doesn't corner as well as it looks. Thus road comparison is more even.

And on pure HP? Give my 440 15 lbs of boost? (And yes, build changes to accommodate the doubling of HP.) Holy moly! You better hold on to something while Demon/Hellcat gets blasted off the road. "Here kitty kitty, kitty!" (And they can keep their 6 speed trans options. My 18 spline A833 to Dana could handle that power. As well not having the time to deal with that many gear shifts. The run is already over!)

I'm assuming you all can undestand my vote? Lol.

Last edited:
I’m like most of you , I have a sc 6.1 SRT Challenger and it’s nice , quick comfortable and all that... but I will say old iron and steel win hands down. Old cars you drive , you feel, you react, new cars are numb. Some maybe faster but not as simple to work with... KISS! Keep it simple stupid! I agree that there are time clocks built into new stuff via thin high strength materials and computers... My rough around the edges 72 charger with a healthy small block gets way more attention then my factory pink SRT.

same with bikes...... anyone can have a new one, but there's something special about 50+ year old iron

View attachment 1520454[/URL]
I have a friend who still rides his Pierce.......

The 1912 version.

Edit: forgot to mention, he's older than me.... and I'm 70. His '12 Pierce (same company that became Pierce Arrow) runs a 28 second 1/8. Yes , he races it at Irwindale.(vintage motorcycle races). Along with his Harley sportster.

Last edited:
Same with trucks. I have a 2011 Cummins I bought new - it's still new to me. It has unbelievable power and torque, but it's civilized. My 64 D100 has a hot 360, 727, and no power anything. I drive it 90% of the time, it is plain and simple fun and gets noticed everywhere. The 2011 just blends in with the other 3000 or so crew cabs, but I still love it.

Auto Transport Service
Back