• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does it for you? The old or the new?

Well now, that's too cool for skool! And from here, it looks every bit as good as the day you drove it home.

I'm in the 'both' camp. For those that say new cars have no soul, maybe you're treating it like your grandma instead of your red-headed step-child (political disclaimer: This statement is for allegorical purposes only and in no way is meant to disrespect grandmas or the red-headed step-children of the world). In my youth my dream car was a 67 Vette, 427, 4-speed, removable hardtop. Now there is the mid-engine C8. If I had the money, it would be a difficult decision. Then I'd buy the 67 and start saving for the C8. I guess that makes me Old.
I actually didn't drive the "Dealer Demonstrator" home until 52 years after that test drive in 1970, a week before my 17th birthday. I owned six other GTXs in the meantime. The story is chronicled in a thread from last year, "The One I Loved Back Then is available..."

I'd frame the question this way. You can spend up to fifty thousand dollars, but it's not play money, you have to get something useful. (Play money is a separate question).
Do you buy a new/used Scatpack challenger/charger.... or a nice 383 roadrunner/superbee?
Okay, now it's play money that you won't miss.
. Still the same choice?

They used to have a Motorcycle Museum near me called the Trike Shop. They had Harleys that looked like motorized bicycles all they up to the current year.
They did the same with Hondas but not sure why?
Here’s a few I wouldn’t mind having, from the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley. I’ll take any one of these, but no Vincent, it’s American rides only.

9E9C2E5D-6E5B-4911-BE38-F54AABAFE563.jpeg

8C1335F7-07AE-4CFF-B14E-002494D1F210.jpeg

EB27BACA-88B0-45A2-B647-6D1B11C883A7.jpeg

B09AFF89-7A52-42FF-A680-A52D905BB91F.jpeg

Here’s a few I wouldn’t mind having, from the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley. I’ll take any one of these, but no Vincent, it’s American rides only.

View attachment 1522067

View attachment 1522068

View attachment 1522069

View attachment 1522070
Yes, they had the same bikes here. I should've taken pictures as well but didn't have any idea they were going out of business. In fact, I had just taken some friends, who road out for California, on the hour long ride to the Trike Shop so they could see these bikes when we found the "Closed and Out of Business" sign.

Mama and I drove the Duster to a friends house for a cookout today. They let us park in their garage next to their 2023 Hellcat. It gave me some time to gain some more appreciation between the generations.

What does it for you, the old or the new?

View attachment 1520152

View attachment 1520153
Both, i like modern muscle too, but the the constant railing of 4 door Chargers. I love the 68, and up chargers myself, but I like my 2011 Dodge Charger RT toxic orange, and my 67 belvedere.

Now that I bought my 300C, I'm starting to lean towards new....except for all the nanny stuff done for the driver. My cuda with the 6.4 is everything, but comfortable. It rides like a brick, and it wants to fling you out of the stock seats. It is however, blazing-fast/quick and stops better than anything I've ever owned. I'm really liking the comfort of the new stuff, though.
So.....I'm torn between all of it.

The new stuff really does nothing for me. Are they powerful machines capable of out performing the old muscle cars...absolutely, but they just have no personality, character or soul IMO.
Disagree, my '11 Charger RT is a great looking car. To me it's aggressive looking, and i bought it new in 2011. I was awe struck like arnie cunningham was in christine. Your opinion that's cool.
Now that I bought my 300C, I'm starting to lean towards new....except for all the nanny stuff done for the driver. My cuda with the 6.4 is everything, but comfortable. It rides like a brick, and it wants to fling you out of the stock seats. It is however, blazing-fast/quick and stops better than anything I've ever owned. I'm really liking the comfort of the new stuff, though.
New stuff handles very well

OLD. A new car is great for transportation Get a brand new car for under $20K. Drive the wheels off it Who cares as long as it works? My ego is at home in the garage. Better yet buy a 2002 Pontiac Vibe. (Really a Toyota Matrix.) for $5K. It will last forever.
Or get a grand marquis.....

I'd frame the question this way. You can spend up to fifty thousand dollars, but it's not play money, you have to get something useful. (Play money is a separate question).
Do you buy a new/used Scatpack challenger/charger.... or a nice 383 roadrunner/superbee?
Okay, now it's play money that you won't miss.
. Still the same choice?
I've been shopping and test driving Charger hemi cars since July. Looking at used at first, but found nothing I really liked. Started looking at new and decided to focus on exactly what I want. That would be a 392 Daytona in F8. When I found out that even with discounts off MSRP, when taxes and mysterious dealer fees were added I was always over 50 grand. Actually closer to 60 grand in most cases.
I told my wife that I'd happily pay 50 grand for a B body in really good condition, but no way for a car that depreciates 3 to 5 grand a year.
So I did the logical thing and bought a grand marquis with 27k miles.

Apples. Oranges. HC w/SC is Bitchin. BUT, nothing matches the thrill and fear of a romp in the Coronet.

Old school, or no school! (Wait, that came out wrong. Lol)

There is something missing in this generation's US performance cars. Because of having to package the performance to the smallest possible foot print. They lack design aesthetics that erodes originality. Thus why they tend to look more alike.

I tip my hat to US automakers attempts to create a new performance wars climate. But it will not be able to fully capture those days. For me? Those days were, the 60s. The cars I saw as a small child. The cars that I could only afford in the late 70s, 80s. Who of us knew they would be so sought after today?

I pulled up with my "X" (that's what the locals call my GTX) to the gas station. Two spots from me was a '19 Challenger 392 scat. Black on black. Red pin stripped and interior stitching. I've run up against a couple Hell cats with my drag car Duster at the track. And neither looked near as nice as this guy. I came out the store and the Challenger owner was walking around the "X" with a big old smile on his face. I jokingly asked. "A trade?" He pondered a second then said. "My wife would kill me."

It's the only Challenger, I've ever seen where, I would consider. I understand there are plenty others out there. Newer, and even higher value than my '69 GTX. But never one that just happened to meet up at the local convenience store/gas station.

And no. I'm too damn dumb to take a picture of the moment.

Always drove an oldie for 37 years until
I needed something to commute 700
miles each way. Worked in one state,
resided in another. Made the trip
on holiday weekends. I needed
transportation that was under
warranty, was fast, and got at least
22 mpg.
Retired now, and will revert back to my former preferences. It would be the
Duster for me, but I'd just have to
repaint it. Not a big fan of Plumb
Crazy.
This is more my speed (not mine);
IMG_9978.JPG

Last edited:
I like old, but I've owned a few of both over the years. I've owned a few new ones that screamed like there was no tomorrow. I drive an old 65, with the heart of a young gun in it. There's a reason for that............. Let The Horses Run............

Very, very good thread. Love reading and seeing the old vs. new. From the time I came from, we'd never thought there'd be a "new". After the 60's and 70's that I experienced, we thought the musclecar was dead. Appreciate how wonderful it is to continue that legacy, however technologically refined. The object was/is = look good and go fast. I'm fortunate to do that with both my "old" and "new" cars.

Very, very good thread. Love reading and seeing the old vs. new. From the time I came from, we'd never thought there'd be a "new". After the 60's and 70's that I experienced, we thought the musclecar was dead. Appreciate how wonderful it is to continue that legacy, however technologically refined. The object was/is = look good and go fast. I'm fortunate to do that with both my "old" and "new" cars.

Well said :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back