• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does it for you? The old or the new?

I disagree on the "Comfort." These newer factory performance cars have no room. Especially when comparing to a B-body. The hellcat like all today's perforamce is tightly modulated. Can't move much in the seat. And bells & whistles? Are just that. I have a cigarette lighter USB connector that plugs my phone. Bingo. My GTX has a navigation system.

I brought my 4 kids. (Young adults) to an A&W drive in restaurant. We ate burgers and root beer floats in the GTX. I wasn't the most enthusiastic eating in my classic. But that's what I did all the time back in the day. We had a blast. No way one could do that in any performance car of today.

As far as performance? One added treat with B-bodies. They road, and corner better than one would think. I believe its because it's the right size and weight to utilize the then torsion bar technology., Dodge Demon is opposite. It doesn't corner as well as it looks. Thus road comparison is more even.

And on pure HP? Give my 440 15 lbs of boost? (And yes, build changes to accommodate the doubling of HP.) Holy moly! You better hold on to something while Demon/Hellcat gets blasted off the road. "Here kitty kitty, kitty!" (And they can keep their 6 speed trans options. My 18 spline A833 to Dana could handle that power. As well not having the time to deal with that many gear shifts. The run is already over!)

I'm assuming you all can undestand my vote? Lol.
i see your reasoning and totally agree…

I like the old for putting around town in the evening, but it's really hard to beat the modern cars for comfort.

That's why I drive an AC Cobra around for my wild side.

Tom

20230412_190155.jpg

I really like the New Mopar Muscle, BUT Nothing Lights Me Up, like a Proper Vintage Mopar. Mid 60's are My Fav's, but A12's, '69 Daytona Chargers, and '70/71 E-Bodies Rock My Boat, along with Another Dozen pre-'73's !!!

To me, it’s the old cars hands down that get my vote. Working on and driving them capture the era more than any book or documentary attempts to. The 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s cars have a place in my heart like no other generation of vehicle.

There is something about the rumble and obvious power of the old Mopars that never leaves once you experience it.

The whine of the starter, the shaking of the vehicle when the engine awakes, the feeling that a touch of the gas pedal delivers and then when you put it in gear and it begins to roll . . .

The new cars have the comfort and performance and I admit to desiring to have one but if being forced to choose, it's like comparing apples to oranges, in that the differences put them in different categories.

Does the math, really the dollars, make the decision for you? I know, dumb question. Any new Mopar I'd want is north of $100K. For perspective & comparison's sake, this is not my primary car or mode of transportation. Nor would the brand new $100K '+' car be.

But this was my logic. I decided to completely rebuild my '64 Polara 500. Certainly, the motor. But in fact, I'm doing much more.

No, I won't have an 8" computer screen with nav or GPS, no heated / cooled seats, etc., etc.. But I will have a freshly built 'car.' Any technology? Any at all? Yes, I'm adding the Sniper II EFI. This should be a quantum leap in daily drivability.

Last consideration? I'll, most likely, be the only one 'there.' There's a uniqueness, a cool factor or value there for me too. How many red 1964 Dodge Polara 500 convertibles (with a 500 hp motor) do you see out there just cruising around? Cost? All in? I should be right around $60K.

Sounds like everyone here appreciates the new technologies but I have to agree with most here, nothing beats the sound and feel of a vintage MoPar...as for comfort my Charger rides great and handles pretty good for an old girl, tons of leg room and a trunk that you could carry a coke machine. The looks and gestures you get when cruising around in a classic MoPar far outweighs the looks you get in the "new stuff" because it's gotten to be "norm" on the street....like bellybuttons, everybody's got one.
68 front.jpg

20230807_174217.jpg

Same cubic inches. Twice the horsepower. But if I only get to keep 1, the hellcat would get a tearful goodbye. I really enjoy both.

My elder brother and I have had this debate for eons. I have kept old and he buys new. We’re both from back in the day when our muscle cars were our daily transport sun or snow. He says that era is dead, lucky to have lived it; but can’t recreate it as you can’t one’s youth. But MO, an old ride keeps part of that history still breathing when I take my car for a ride or to shows, a drive down memory lane.

Sure, the practicality of it became N/A going to adulthood, family, career, mortgages, etc. I have my Dakota for my daily transport and use it as a truck often. Practical transportation for my needs. Restoed it so it looks pretty new. Get some compliments from old truck guys. Once having a Cuda and Challenger back when, driving a new one was nice; but not a thrill for me. Too cramped and blind spots my old fused neck doesn’t like. Gorgeous car, they did the design right to maintain the original look. Ahh, but my tire-burning days are gone as is my youth, attracting dates, late-night races on the highway outside of town (now all subdivisions and malls) and so on.

No knocks to those loving the new muscle, someday they’ll be a cherished part of history too. Hopefully not too soon; but I won't be around for that.

I like old cars for pleasure of driving, it fills all the senses

I like the newer cars/mainly 4x4 trucks
for the amenities we have now for comfort & what they can do
my Daily driver is a 1999 Dakota SLT 4x4 (it's going to be 25 y/o soon)
not exactly new technology, but leaps & bounds over the 68 RR
I did broke down & finally sold my 2002 F350 4x4 6 speed Dually PS Diesel
& RV 5th wheel trailer
got my then 85 Y/O dad a new last Nov.
Launch Edition 'de-badged' Gladiator Rubicon Offroad Edition,
he can drive 'until he can't', it probably won't be long now
(I still prefer to drive the Dakota)
he used to use my old Dually tow rig like a daily driver,
the Gladiator fits the bill better
(It has all the bells & whistles, he doesn't use most of them either,
doesn't know how to, no matter how many times I show him
but if I was going to buy something I wanted it optioned out
)
it was getting expensive to keep up that diesel dog

I'm not a big fan of the overpriced **** in either now
I know it's not 1977 anymore either, but the gouging/greed
& way, way over pricing 'in both realms' is freaken' crazy

Last edited:
I'd love to have a new TRX, but not for $100k

When I first took my signature car, 1968 Coronet R/T, for a drive it was an incredible experience. Not just for me but for everyone who saw it.
Pulled it into the parking lot behind a local MacDonald's and drew a small crowd of people all wanting to look at it. Not saying that doesn't happen with one of the high end Mopars today but it certainly does with a classic Mopar.
Sitting at the traffic light and people in the cars next to me all with faces in the window and pointing fingers at the car or giving a thumbs up.

How many times when driving down the road do you spot a classic car coming? It draws your attention a half a mile away.

I like old. I really like the mechanical feel of driving a piece of machinery. Rowing through the gears with a bench seat pistol grip has no rivals in my world, the feel of the road, old manual brakes and steering, it’s all heaven to me. I daily drive a Ram truck, but it’s because I need it for work, all other times can be spent in Mopars or in Harleys. My secret passion? I want a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952! The king of all mechanized mayhem!

I like old. I really like the mechanical feel of driving a piece of machinery. Rowing through the gears with a bench seat pistol grip has no rivals in my world, the feel of the road, old manual brakes and steering, it’s all heaven to me. I daily drive a Ram truck, but it’s because I need it for work, all other times can be spent in Mopars or in Harleys. My secret passion? I want a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952! The king of all mechanized mayhem!
They used to have a Motorcycle Museum near me called the Trike Shop. They had Harleys that looked like motorized bicycles all they up to the current year.
They did the same with Hondas but not sure why?

Every time I get behind the wheel of one of my old cars, I ALWAYS get a throw back to the yester-years I loved so much. Never happens with any of our newer stuff unless I'm playing the oldies on the radio.

I can go to any stealership and see metric Challengers and Chargers. Yes, they are everywhere; and yes, they are fun to drive, get great mileage and are comfortable on a cross-country trip. I can't justify the price at all, though. Just can't do it.

My Coronet and Imperial both gets the thumbs-up every time I drive one. They get close to 20 mpg on the freeway. They're both Daffodil Yellow, which is a non-existent color on anything built since the late '80s. And, they're fun cars!

My wife compares the seats in most cars newer than 2010 to sitting on a marble slab. That is the primary reason she doesn't like my '14 Passat; although I think it is a wonderfully comfortable car with competent handling. And it's tough to beat 45 - 48 mpg on the freeway with it!

Last edited:
Both..i prefect the looks and feel of old for that rawness, but i LOVE my grand cherokee... heated seats/wheel and all :) hard to beat especially in winter

You know where I fall on this. In 1970, Julie Clark told me to run the cheapest, most reliable economy car I could stand when I started working, save my money for the GTX as a weekend toy. I strayed from her advice, and owned a new 2007 Chrysler 300 for a few years, and it never lit my fire. I traded it off on a used Toyota product, which is still my daily driver 12 years later. The GTX is still making me smile, 53 years after the fact. Pictured at the former Clark Motor Company site, yesterday, on the 53rd anniversary of my test drive.
View attachment 1520376

Well now, that's too cool for skool! And from here, it looks every bit as good as the day you drove it home.

I'm in the 'both' camp. For those that say new cars have no soul, maybe you're treating it like your grandma instead of your red-headed step-child (political disclaimer: This statement is for allegorical purposes only and in no way is meant to disrespect grandmas or the red-headed step-children of the world). In my youth my dream car was a 67 Vette, 427, 4-speed, removable hardtop. Now there is the mid-engine C8. If I had the money, it would be a difficult decision. Then I'd buy the 67 and start saving for the C8. I guess that makes me Old.

Last edited:
I consider my 2001 Durango to be a late model cruiser, it's plenty good enough for me

Well now, that's too cool for skool! And from here, it looks every bit as good as the day you drove it home.

I'm in the 'both' camp. For those that say new cars have no soul, maybe you're treating it like your grandma instead of your red-headed step-child (political disclaimer: This statement is for allegorical purposes only and in no way is meant to disrespect grandmas or the red-headed step-children of the world). In my youth my dream car was a 67 Vette, 427, 4-speed, removable hardtop. Now there is the mid-engine C8. If I had the money, it would be a difficult decision. Then I'd buy the 67 and start saving for the C8. I guess that makes me Old.
thumbnail_IMG_2085.jpg

They are such a blast to drive, and for an MSRP of 87 grand I'd almost hawk the house for one... almost.

Auto Transport Service
Back