• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What gas do you use in your B Body?

Will not put octane boost in my car after pulling the spark plugs and seeing the junk that had formed on them. Was putting a few gallons of 93 non ethanol with a fill up of 93 ethanol and motor had a few issues. Went back to just 93 ethanol and runs just fine.

Would add 1 gallon of av gas to tank of 91 for my 71 340 car in the summer time and that would keep out the ping demons and didn't need to do that in the cooler months.

Do you know anyone that runs straight alky in their race engine? If not, go to the track and find the ones that do and talk to them about what all they do to keep the 100% alky from screwing things up.....
When I helped a late friend in E TX with his late model and modified, we ran alky and race gas.
Any car that sat for any length of time got the cell and lines drained and the entire system used components that were impervious to alcohol. Early in the season when it was cool, the engines had to be started on gas.
Had to use two different carbs, as the alky carb needed to be almost 3x richer than the gas carb. Alcohol has less BTUs than gas, meaning to make the same power you must burn more.

And, 87 octane is 87 octane alky or no. And the E10 will make less power.
And removing the alcohol lowers the octane rating. E10 is lower octane with alky added to raise the octane to the desired level.

Obligatory gasoline post

My father delivered gasoline to local station chain after he retired from farming. This is about WI, so you may have some variations locally, but it essentially works the same nationwide, just depends on how many pipes are running in your direction.
Here goes:
First, there are only so many refineries in the country. And there are only so many companies that own and run them. Then, there are only so many pipelines to carry from those refineries to depots. From the depots, the gasoline is hauled by tanker truck to a station. Here is the interesting part:
In WI, for example, there are only two refineries that pipe gasoline up here. For my neck of the woods, the pipe runs to Green Bay, or, west a bit, to Junction City.

That's it. two refineries, two depots.

One refinery produces cheaper gas then the other. REGARDLESS OF BRAND ON THE STATION, the owner of said station gets to decide which one they pick. A Citgo on one end of town might get the better gas, the other end of town the Citgo might opt more cheap.
Some brands have an additive package, sometimes they just slap a name on it that is copyrighted and they don't actually do anything.
Ethanol is subsidized, so it is basically always less expensive, but you pay for it with your taxes so don't get excited.
Ethanol raises octane
-10% ethanol gas rated at 87 is actually such crappy fuel they could not legally sell it without ethanol added, it would fall below required octane rating.
-87 non-ethanol gas is better. Period. Not because of the non-ethanol, or even the octane rating. It is just a better fuel.
-87 rating WITH 10% ethanol does NOT always mean it is the horrid 84 octane "gas" buffered by ethanol. 87 is the minimum requirement. Some stations buy the better gas and add 10% ethanol for price reasons. It might actually be 89. One local chain does this and then advertises you can pay the same for mid grade (LOL) but that is simply because it is THE SAME GAS.

All mid-grade(89) is a 50/50 blend of 87 and premium(91). The octane value might vary depending on where you are.
So if you have 10% ethanol 87, and premium non-ethanol 91, mid grade is 5% ethanol 89. Very few modern stations have more then (2) tanks they pull from, unless they offer ethanol and non-ethanol 87 gas.

At the depot, some have it set up to automatically meter the ethanol in. Some DO NOT, and the driver has to load a partial load of plain gas and then go to an ethanol depot tank to get the rest. This means the "blending" is not done mechanically.

Ethanol absorbs water. If you store a vehicle for winter, running a full tank of 10% before you refill with non-ethanol for storage can help get any water out of the system. You need to run the tank almost bone dry though. Once ethanol absorbs water it will separate from the actual gasoline and go to the bottom of the tank, if it absorbs to much it can actually make a layer. This can happen at station bulk tanks also! In cold winters, if they do not maintain their tanks properly, it has happened where people fill up and their car freezes a block down the street because they filled the car's gas tank with water laden ethanol off the bottom of the storage tank.

Long story short, most people have no idea they are buying one of two brands of gas with colored labels applied, don't know mid grade is half and half, and go about their business presuming they know what is best for their ride.
Find out which local station has the gas your cars runs on best and go there. So long as the owner doesn't change their buying practices, you should have a reliable, consistent source. Brand name is meaningless unless one owner owns all the stores of said brand. NEVER presume a station brand in one area sells the same gas as your hometown. Not only can they be getting gas from an entirely different pipe/refinery, even if it is the same pipeline as your hometown they may have opted for the cheap stuff.

Personal example time: Citgo 1/8th mile from my driveway buys "good" 87 and "cheap" premium. Citgo in the town I work in 5 miles away buys the opposite. I drive to town to get premium non-ethanol for my old cars and lawn mower, Moline tractor. My son and his modern Chrysler 200 buys 87 from the corner store. Same with my daughter and her old 3800 v6 Impala. I tried premium close to home 3 times, different times of year, and it made stuff run poorly. 87 from in town made my sons mpg go down 2mpg average.
you have to pay attention and figure this stuff out. Looking at the stations fancy colored sign and looking at octane rating is pointless. neither one will tell you if it is actually quality or not. Octane will, at least, tell you the rating, just not if that rating is from quality or just federal requirements.
One local chain used to advertise "best quality gas available" meaning they bought the better stuff. When prices went up recently, they took those signs down. HMMMM.

Pay attention, check your own mpg, observe how the engine runs, take notes if need be. Don;t be afraid to spend 10 cents a gallon if you know the quality is there. Station loyalty matters, NOT brand loyalty. Personally, I don't even look at prices to "shop" because I know who has good and who is selling cheap in my tiny town. Saving $1 on ten gallons for my tractor is NOT worth it.

Ethanol is not required in california..... but, by LAW, oxygenated gasoline is. And the oil companies oxygenate gasoline by using Ethanol.
I believe the upper limit for "gasoline" (not E85) has been raised from 10% to 15%.

Pretty simple, take a mason jar with an inch of water in it, marked with a line, to the gas station. Turn on the pump and top the jar and let it sit for a bit. Does the "water" line move up?

On street 440. Car runs good with 91-93 standard premium. Car really likes the 91 Non-Oxy (no alcohol.) Not sure if performance is better. But exhaust smells more old school. Lol.

My high compression 451 runs e-85. Have to run timing more advanced. (Which makes sense, sense flame travel is slower. Thus have to start combustion process sooner.) Its a cheap fuel alternative to race gas. (Carb needs metering blocks for E-85.) At does have a 20% fuel efficiency drop than gas. (I also think it has a tint of French fries smell.) Another "Lol" needed.

Just what I have experienced.

Last edited:
When the time comes, I intend to use 104 leaded from a local speed shop in the 5-gal can. Since my 67 Coronet R/T 440HP has been idle since 97 the carb has never seen ethanol. The heads are original and should only use leaded gas. I probably won't be registering the car to drive on the street so 5 gals at a time to exercise the car should be ok. Even if I get tags 5 gal will last about 40 miles or so before it sucks air. I will be tuning the engine back to factory spec so 104 will allow it without knocking.

Thinking I needed bigger jets in my carburetor to run ethanol-based fuel went to 80 jets in my Holley carb. The car did not like it so put back the 76 jets back in the carburetor and it ran fine. Hot and cold weather dose seem to make a difference on how the motor preforms. Don't have the heat shield under the carb and have been thinking of putting a heat shield back on the car. Just to see if that has any effect on the performance.

Find out which local station has the gas your cars runs on best and go there. So long as the owner doesn't change their buying practices, you should have a reliable, consistent source. Brand name is meaningless unless one owner owns all the stores of said brand. NEVER presume a station brand in one area sells the same gas as your hometown. Not only can they be getting gas from an entirely different pipe/refinery, even if it is the same pipeline as your hometown they may have opted for the cheap stuff.
My experience with diesel fuel during my trucking days backs this up. The first couple years I ran the cheapest generic diesel available, and did fine with it. When the low sulfur mandate was put in place, I started to have problems with premature fuel filter clogging. The newer blends were more prone to quick degradation and algae growth, a process hastened further if bio diesel was blended in. I finally started using a fuel distributor which charged more, but sold fuel that was trucked straight from the refinery, a little over two hours away. Problem solved.

A few years ago, the refinery had an outage, and the distributor sold fuel purchased on the spot market. The shop I use had a line of trucks waiting for filter changes all through the next week. I struggled with filter changes every 3000 miles (two weeks running) for two months until the refinery was back on line. With the fresh fuel, I could easily go 12,000 miles on a set of fuel filters, well worth the few cents a gallon more I paid.

This also works good.

il_300x300.1576022748_jx7t.jpg

Thought I'd better take my own advise after reading that all fuel in Canada must contain renewable product under the latest green energy bs. Like I said as simple as putting water in a jar and add the gas. Zero ethanol in my Midland CTC premium bought today. This takes less than a minute, you can do it at the pump..
20230511_114331.jpg

20230511_114402.jpg

20230511_114912.jpg

Thought I'd better take my own advise after reading that all fuel in Canada must contain renewable product under the latest green energy bs. Like I said as simple as putting water in a jar and add the gas. Zero ethanol in my Midland CTC premium bought today. This takes less than a minute, you can do it at the pump..
View attachment 1463299
View attachment 1463300
View attachment 1463301

Gasoline is renewable. When it burns, it puts out CO2. Which helps plant life grow.

REGARDLESS OF BRAND ON THE STATION,
Yes. I see the same trucks delivering to multiple stations named. Is it Sunoco,Texaco,Chevron,Shell ? All comes out of the same depot. So is there really a difference ?
What about "Top Tier" gas stations ? Is there really a difference ? 7/Eleven gas the same as Chevron ? Chevron is listed as
"Top Tier" as 7/Eleven is not. Maybe just marketing ? :bs:?

I reached out to Shell as I heard that they are now adding ethanol to their 91 octane fuel.
This reply is from their technical dept.

Please find below the information regarding your enquiry send to technical helpdesk.

Case No: 00439465
Enquiry: Ethanol content in Shell 91 fuel.
Response:
Hello John,

Shell Premium Fuel V-Power 91, 93 and 87 Octane Ethanol in Canada

Starting in 2022, all gasoline grades sold in Canada will be blended with ethanol, including premium gasoline (V-Power 91, 93) according to proposed regulations (10% ethanol Federal Clean Fuel Regulation for 2022, Low Carbon Fuel Requirements and need to reduce the carbon intensity of fossil fuels, which ethanol is one mechanism to reduce carbon intensity). All the provinces are switching slowly, and If you see the label at the pump, “Gasoline may contain up to 10% Ethanol,” it is already happening.

It is still during converting to Ethanol and some of the terminals they source from haven’t converted yet. As such you would see a mix of sites that have Ethanol, and some does not have yet but will over time as the product is available. The non-Ethanol or free ethanol stickers at gas pumps means the stations have 0% ethanol free gasoline at each site and will be mounted once up to 10% appropriate changed.

Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Jeampy Keto.

Shell Canada, Technical Support

Phone: 1-800-661-1771 option 5

Email: [email protected]

Technical data sheets and SDS may be found at: www.epc.shell.com

Review Rotella products:

Go to www.rotella.com, Products, and find the product page for the product purchased.

SAFETY FIRST!

Have you heard Michael’s Motor Alley Podcast?

Auto Transport Service
Back