• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What gas do you use in your B Body?

SteveSS

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
I know gas formulas were a lot different in the late 60's. Now that my '69 Charger is back on the road I'm wondering if you guys used regular, premium (which is only 91 here in Colorado) or any special additives when you fill up. My '69 Charger SE is not the high-performance 383 but my '71 Charger 383 is.

If you’ve added hardened valve seats, run the 91 or less.

91 pump, california if I have to, prefer Arizona 91, and now that I have access, a bit of 100LL Avgas for sweetener. Supposed 11 1/2 iron head TRW motor, (hah!) really about 10.6 to one (probably about a point and a quarter more than a hc magnum 383/440.).
Edit: Note- there is no such thing as 93/94 or no-alcohol in either state, at least not where I'm at. And alcohol-free gas is essentially illegal in california.

Last edited:
93 for me if I can find it now.

91 premium is good for every car and motorcycle if you can find it and if your not extreme high performance, for that I blend 91 premium with VP110 race gas 50/50.

90 octane ethanol free gasoline if possible.

I run 89/90 non-eth in my 73.

In my 69 440 I run a mix of that and 93 "regular" E-10 unleaded.

The Citgo non-eth 89 near my house has been steady at $3.85, even though their E-10 has fluctuated between $3.76 and $3.52.
My guess is that they don't get nearly as many trucks of non-eth.

The nearest Wawa has been $4.15-$4.25 for their 90 non-eth.

ethanol free gas for EVERYTHING, all small and large engines will last longer. Ethanol free gas is more stable and will not foul up the carb....started using it for the mower and snowblower and generators long time ago

33.33333% 100LL AV + 66.66667% Shell Premium. I put that **** in everything.... but I do have a 500 gallon tank of it in the yard.

I always try to use 91 with no corn. If I need fuel and there is no 91 I will use corn free 87 with with some torqo octane boost. That is the only octane boost I have found that works.

Sunoco 93 in my classics. Funny thing is I have had three different people in just as many weeks text my looking for Turbo Blue in the Detroit Metro area. Apparently, the stations that used to carry it no longer do and it is extremely hard to find. For those that Don't know what turbo blue is. It is 100 octane race fuel out of the pump.

Drive some 30 miles outside of the county I reside to the nearest station having eth-free 93 gas for my old ride. It's a nice country ride. Don't need to run it; but my pref.

I know gas formulas were a lot different in the late 60's. Now that my '69 Charger is back on the road I'm wondering if you guys used regular, premium (which is only 91 here in Colorado) or any special additives when you fill up. My '69 Charger SE is not the high-performance 383 but my '71 Charger 383 is.
I run non-ethanol in my 64' Fury however I have heard that the difference between ethanol and non-ethanol is not as great as I was lead to believe.
Uncle Tony's Garage's perspective:

Up here in Ontario, Shell Premium is 91 octane with no ethanol. Mobil (Esso) has 91 and 93 octane with no ethanol. Sunoco has 94 octane, but has 10% ethanol. I used to use Mobil 93, before price went really stupid. I have since dropped back to Mobil 91. The station that I buy at locally gives points toward groceries. The nearest town, Aylmer, Ontario has a huge ethanol processing plant. We grow a lot of corn around here.

Auto Transport Service
Back