• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What gas do you use in your B Body?

87 octane straight from the pump, alcohol or not. Daily driver with plenty of get up and go. No reason to overthink this one. Higher octane does not mean better quality.

I use Sunoco 93, the car runs great on it. I tried the Mobil rec 90 non ethanol, nope.

Amoco and Shell both have 93 near my house so I typically use that. Sprinkle in some 110 now and then to avoid pinging in the summer plus it smells good. Any good reviews on a good octane booster that you guys use?

Last edited:
93 or 94 with a "tip of the can" for the Charger. The new Challenger and the wife's Subaru BRZ (supercharged) get it straight.

Would add 1 gallon of av gas to tank of 91 for my 71 340 car in the summer time and that would keep out the ping demons and didn't need to do that in the cooler months.

i have a stock engine. I use regular gas with 10% ethanol (straight from any pump). I noticed when I use higher octane, i get blue smoke, when using regular gas, no smoke. If ur engine wasn't built for higher octane, run regular gas. Once a year i add a bit of carb cleaner into the carb. Been running smooth past 6 years. The ethanol evaps after a few days, so u have to crank a bit when starting it, but u can always spray a bit of starter fluid to get it started on the first turn. 10% eth is not bad for the engine, many race cars run pure eth.
Do you know anyone that runs straight alky in their race engine? If not, go to the track and find the ones that do and talk to them about what all they do to keep the 100% alky from screwing things up.....

I can get by running pump premium but it will detonate if you get on it. Normally I run a 50/50 mix of pump premium and Sunoco 110 for no detonation and better throttle response…

Sunoco 93 in my classics. Funny thing is I have had three different people in just as many weeks text my looking for Turbo Blue in the Detroit Metro area. Apparently, the stations that used to carry it no longer do and it is extremely hard to find. For those that Don't know what turbo blue is. It is 100 octane race fuel out of the pump.
Jay, Sunoco station on S.W corner of Inkster and Ann Arbor Trail, pump is on S side of building, 100 octane
That’s were I go

I don't run ethanol laced gas in anything with a carburetor. Luckily we can still get the 91 premium here in WI that is ethanol free. I run that in all my collector cars and lawn mowers. My 05 300C and the wife's durango can get by on the 87 dog piss.

91 octane is the best I have available. 93 octane is available in the next town over but I need to bring containers otherwise I burn through it with my 10mpg lol.

We only have crappy 91 octane here in California, so that’s what I run.

I went to fuel up my Grand Cherokee tonight, and the Mobil station had run out of regular 87 fuel, and was selling 93 at at regular price. Sadly, my R/T was sitting at home with almost a full tank. I stopped on the way home to let my buddy with the '62 Max Wedge clone know that 93 was on sale. He was going to fill it up after I left.

Last edited:
I work with a guy that has a Dodge Magnum wagon and he only runs 93 octane premium fuel in it and it has over 400,000 miles on it with a 5.7L Hemi and the engine has never been apart. He drives almost an hour and a half each way every day for work, sometimes 6 days a week. I can't imagine the money he has spent on fuel in 400,000 miles. Apparently, the better fuel has helped it live for so long.

I work with a guy that has a Dodge Magnum wagon and he only runs 93 octane premium fuel in it and it has over 400,000 miles on it with a 5.7L Hemi and the engine has never been apart. He drives almost an hour and a half each way every day for work, sometimes 6 days a week. I can't imagine the money he has spent on fuel in 400,000 miles. Apparently, the better fuel has helped it live for so long.

All highway driving helps with longevity.

I run a 50/50 mix of 91 octane “rec” fuel, which is ethanol free, and 110 Turbo Blue, which is available in Brighton Mi. at the downtown gas station. My car has never had ethanol fuel in it and I plan to keep it that way. It loves this mix of gas, and if I have to throw 5g of rec fuel in it to get it to Brighton, it doesn’t run as well.

Some guys add a 2.6 ounce of 2 stroke gas oil mix (treats 1 gallon of gas for a 2 stroke engine) to a tank full of pump gas. It keeps carbon from building up on old engines with todays gas. Seems to work well.

Auto Transport Service
Back