• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a 67 TNT 440 worth?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting a 67 Chrysler 300 with its original engine, a TNT 440 4 barrel. It has the Magnum manifolds and full dual exhaust. I'm told these engines had the closed chamber 915 heads too. The engine has not ran for many years but is complete and still in the car.
I have no carb or air cleaner but otherwise, it is all there. I plan to part out the car and currently do not need another 440 since I still have 3 here at home.
What is a fair price? The buyer should assume it to be a rebuildable core. My thoughts are that it should be worth more than a 68-71 440 Magnum. The engine will come with the exhaust manifolds .

I have never taken an engine to a swap meet to sell since they are so hard to move around. This would be the most valueable engine I'd ever tried to sell.

I bought one for $50 once back in the 70s. I would start at 300 and work from there. Who knows? He may take the offer!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, you are selling it? Does it rotate without locking up?

This would be the most valueable engine I'd ever tried to sell.

Really? I think in total if everything is in usable shape, you have about $800- $1000 of parts, if you are patient and lucky.

No way I'd haul an engine to a swap meet for that $$, Because all you'll get are guys that want this or that part. Instead, I would post ads here, in CL, the other mopar sites and maybe an ebay motors classified.

And consider separating the 915's from the block, as they will sell on their own.

Do you know if the block is locked up or will it turn?

HP, same as a Dodge Magnum or Plymouth Super Commando - HP cam, Carter 4 barrel, HP exhaust manifolds, windage tray, and in '67 the 915 heads with the 1.74 inch exhaust valve. Dual exhaust as well, and backed with an HP transmission.

why would a 440 tnt be worth more than a 440 magnum, exactly same engine.
a 440 is a 440.

A 440 TNT is a 440 Magnum engine. Chrysler simply had a different name for it. The Chrysler TNT also had the same transmission as the GTX and R/T in 67. The correct number if original will be 2801541

I'm sure if you can be patient and look for that perfect buyer with THE car for the motor, you might get a nice price.

why would a 440 tnt be worth more than a 440 magnum, exactly same engine.
a 440 is a 440.

Sorry, Benno.
There were several versions of the 440 engine. Many C body cars came with the 350 horse version which had single exhaust, plain log exhaust manifolds, no windage tray, a milder cam and valvesprings, etc.
The 440 was also given different names. The Plymouth version was called the Super Commando. Dodge called it the Magnum. Chrysler used the TNT name.

But the broader point here is why would it be more valuable?

still same engine, different cams and heads etc. mean nothing as why would anyone use a 45 year old cam or head without changing it etc.. so my comment still stands as why would price be different. I do know the different part companies had different names, still exactly same motor.

it's all about that HP stamp. All TNT's were stamped, as well as all GTX's and R/T's. If you have a GTX without an original engine, you go looking for these engines. 440's without the stamp are much cheaper, and easier to find. Less than 3% of 440 Chryslers were HP cars.

Once you find the engine, the value of that GTX goes way up, as there were no VIN#'s that year, date code only.

I think the 67 motor with 915 heads would bring more money than a 68 or later 440 with 906 or 452 heads.

I'm getting the car on Sunday. I should be able to put a breaker bar on the engine and see if it spins over. I'm also going to verify the casting dates and numbers on the engine and trans.

it's all about that HP stamp. All TNT's were stamped, as well as all GTX's and R/T's. If you have a GTX without an original engine, you go looking for these engines. 440's without the stamp are much cheaper, and easier to find. Less than 3% of 440 Chryslers were HP cars.

Once you find the engine, the value of that GTX goes way up, as there were no VIN#'s that year, date code only.

Bingo.

Well, Son of a beech. The engine has a casting date of 4-4-68. The LH head has a casting ending in 028. I've never heard of that number. The engine does have the Magnum exhaust manifolds, but the left one is cracked above cyl # 3. I need to clean more to see if there are any casting or stamped numbers on the transmission.
There is a big bright spot though: The axle is a 3.23 Sure Grip.

Auto Transport Service
Back