• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this?

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
Car has original factory air, and I haven't looked under dash, but this does not look like part of the original factory a/c, those hoses from compressor are adjacent to arrow.

A/C not hooked up or all there, so I have some work to do upon assembly of interior, but this just looks out of place. Possible aftermarket air at some point?

firewall inlets.jpg

Car has original factory air, and I haven't looked under dash, but this does not look like part of the original factory a/c, those hoses from compressor are adjacent to arrow.

A/C not hooked up or all there, so I have some work to do upon assembly of interior, but this just looks out of place. Possible aftermarket air at some point?

View attachment 1098414
That is the heater control valve, I believe.

Heater control valve, it is factory on 1966-1969 B-bodies with AC. 1970 will have visible vacuum diaphragm on it.
This gizmo shuts off the hot water to the heater core. Has the temp cable connected to it. And a capillary tube and sensor that mounts in the bottom of the AC box inside the car.

The way your hoses are run now you will have full hot air at all times. Unless there is a shut off in one of the hoses.

Heater control valve, it is factory on 1966-1969 B-bodies with AC. 1970 will have visible vacuum diaphragm on it.
This gizmo shuts off the hot water to the heater core. Has the temp cable connected to it. And a capillary tube and sensor that mounts in the bottom of the AC box inside the car.

The way your hoses are run now you will have full hot air at all times. Unless there is a shut off in one of the hoses.

I see. We will get it right on re-assembly once we get all of the parts together...thanks so much!

I see. We will get it right on re-assembly once we get all of the parts together...thanks so much!
If you do need to remove this piece for any reason, be very gentle with it. It does not like bends, twists or anything placed on top of it.

The title of the thread is the same thing I say aloud as I look in the mirror in the morning.

View attachment 1098414
@R413 has it right it's the water control valve. I have a couple of the rebuild kits for these. Not the easiest thing to do as they are fragile to start with. Exactly what I'm trying to get working on my Coronet 500 right now is the A/C. My water valve is working and I have all the actuators working correctly now, but now I have some kind of blockage as the compressor head pressure is going to high.
20210402_151443.jpg

@R413 has it right it's the water control valve. I have a couple of the rebuild kits for these. Not the easiest thing to do as they are fragile to start with. Exactly what I'm trying to get working on my Coronet 500 right now is the A/C. My water valve is working and I have all the actuators working correctly now, but now I have some kind of blockage as the compressor head pressure is going to high. View attachment 1098451
Can't wait for all that fun...I will likely be calling on you then. Thanks

@R413 has it right it's the water control valve. I have a couple of the rebuild kits for these. Not the easiest thing to do as they are fragile to start with. Exactly what I'm trying to get working on my Coronet 500 right now is the A/C. My water valve is working and I have all the actuators working correctly now, but now I have some kind of blockage as the compressor head pressure is going to high. View attachment 1098451

TX valve or the screen protecting it is plugged

I have had the Heater AC box rebuilt, all pretty much new. I had the water valve rebuilt, but the capillary tube was broken, they fixed it so it could be spliced. I am at a loss as to where to source the tube and how exactly where to attach. Can I buy some tubing, and simply attach somehow to the bottom of the box, crimp that end of the tube, etc ? Information on this is very scarce. Thanks, I know this original post is old ....

You really don't need the capillary tube. I'd screw the sensor in the bottom of the AC box and forget the rest.

You really don't need the capillary tube. I'd screw the sensor in the bottom of the AC box and forget the rest.
Thanks. I don't have a sensor or even know what they look like (I don't think, lots of parts were missing). Can you help with a pic or a source? Much appreciated. Thanks.

The sensor is at the other end of the capillary tube wire. Look in the bottom of your AC box inside the car, above passenger floorboard.

Thank you very much. Pretty sure I do not have that part. Pic of my box restored (Original Air) is attached. Looks like I have something else to source....

Photo Nov 06 2022, 7 19 27 PM.jpg

Photo Nov 06 2022, 7 19 23 PM.jpg

Sensor goes in oblong hole on right side of box that is open in your picture.

I cant explain the entire purpose but it acts somewhat of an auto temp system where the capillary tube regulates the hot water flow and overall temperature. Of course you can do the same with the Temp adjuster slide on the control panel.

Yes that is what I understand, have gotten some response that it is unnecessary, etc, but I want to make sure things are working properly IF it is not needed, or I need to source it if it is needed. If I can simply control with the temp know I'd sure be good with that.

Thanks so much for your input and pic, gives me a better understanding.

Auto Transport Service
Back