• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite motor oil?

What is your favorite motor oil?

• Total voters
Well, this thread has been around a while. One thing I did notice is that not one person wrote that "so and so oil is garbage and it ruined my engine" What I gather from this whole thread is that if you change oil like you are supposed to, then you will have no problems. Some of you are using multiple oils on different applications. Really?? are engines THAT different? aren't all engine oils supposed to lubricate and cool. How can there be so many good results among so many different brands. Is it possible that they are all relatively the same. Just like gasoline. Here in the UP of Michigan, ALL our gasoline comes from Green Bay. (at least the western half) Same trucks deliver the same gas to "different" vendors. BP, Citco, shell and others claim to have the BEST gas. It all comes from the same refinery. I'm guessing that the same goes for any name brand oil. My only concern would now be using the right viscosity for the right climate. I guess there could be a discussion about dino oil and synthetic, but after only 3000 miles or less as I am reading, I'm sure it really doesn't make a difference.

One note. I recently had the truck oil changed at the quicky lube ( I was out of town) and the girl asked me if I wanted the "green" oil. I thought she was talking about the actual color. She was asking if I wanted oil that consisted of X percentage of recycled oil in it. I told her no thanks and she said that this was the upcoming thing, that ALL oil would soon have a percentage of recycled oil in it. Just thought I would pass that on.

Whatever is on sale at Walmart or Pep Boys. If it's the right grade and has the little API star on it I'll use it.

Most motorcycle oils cpontain high levels of ZDDP.

I use Castrol 4T Motorcycle Oil in all my old cars and bikes.

It is API rated SH, SG.

$4.43 a quart at O'Reilly's.

Castrol's 4T oil, (and Grand Prix oil, which is the SAME OIL) in either grade 10W40 or 20W50, as appropriate to your climate, is SG rated and formulated. Zinc component is 1100ppm; Calcium component is 1900 ppm; and Phosphorus component is 1000 ppm.

There alot of oils with old time zinc & phosphorus levels. This is the one I use.

Rag

Last edited:
For racing engines I use Torco Racing Oil ONLY, for my streetcars & daily drivers Royal Purple synthetics, trans, engine & rear end

The last time i changed my oil i used Castrol GTX... In my wifes car (which takes a beating) and in my Satty, the Satty still even looks good, not to many terrible miles on it but im intending on using it again.

GULF SL ZINC PLUS 20W50

img3155810.jpg

Brad Penn Racing Oil - used to be Kendall GT and has the highest concentration of zinc I could find in an oil.

S

ams oil.
i use to use the valvoline vr1 but it just went up $2.00 a quart to 5.69 a quart.

Walmart brand Synthetic... Ran it in my twin turbo Grand national.. and it held up as well as royal purple and amsoil in a very hot environment.. I run it in all my new cars and my old ones.. it caries every rating the big boys do for far less.. the only time i use the racing oil with more zinc is when i am breaking in a cam.. for that purpose you have to or risk flattening it in a couple hundred miles..

Auto Transport Service
Back