• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of engine oil you guys running high mileage '06 Cummins?

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
Got to change the oil in my youngest boys truck and was wondering what the best oil for a '06 Cummings got 260k on it... Looks like 15W 40 but any specific brand? Some say 5W 40 but I would think that would be in really cold areas.. I want something that will run clean and not gum up the entire inside like Quaker State does or did anyway.. Thanks in advance..

My 04 has 374K miles 15W40 Shell Rotella from the first oil change.

My 04.5 HO has had nothing but Amsoil in it after my first change. 215K so far. I started out with their 5/30 Signature series but at the last one I switched to the 15/40 Signature Series Max Duty. I use their filter plus I added on one of their bypass units, after the first change, to further keep it filtered. On both filters and the fuel filters, Airdog unit, I have Filter Mags to capture any ferrous material that may want to squeak by otherwise.

Years ago when I worked close to a Cummins repair facility I always bought Valvoline Super Blue or something like that. The case price was cheaper than the prices at the parts store. I also bought filter kits from Cummins also.

Been running Rotella here too in my 97. Heck I've been running it in everything I own.

Been running Rotella here too in my 97. Heck I've been running it in everything I own.
Yup. They all get it.
95 3500 5.9
02 2500 5.9
71 m-817 250 Cummins
Galion grader Detroit 4-71
95 White m-11
95 Ford f-800-- 5.9
Case dozer 350B Case Diesel
Ford 575D Backhoe Ford Diesel
Kubota b-3030 Kubota diesel

Yes I buy a little Shell Rotella T 15W-40 I also run it in almost all my other Gas trucks, generators, 4wheeler, Mowers. Some I use the 10W-30

Thanks guys, looks like the Rotella 15W 40 is what's going in it... Looks like there is just plain 15W 40 then 15W 40 T, T4, T5, T6

Looks like I will get this..

Robot or human?

Don't know why the link says that it's oil at Walmart...

Last edited:
Yup. They all get it.
95 3500 5.9
02 2500 5.9
71 m-817 250 Cummins
Galion grader Detroit 4-71
95 White m-11
95 Ford f-800-- 5.9
Case dozer 350B Case Diesel
Ford 575D Backhoe Ford Diesel
Kubota b-3030 Kubota diesel

Yes I buy a little Shell Rotella T 15W-40 I also run it in almost all my other Gas trucks, generators, 4wheeler, Mowers. Some I use the 10W-30
The only things that don't get it is the push mowers and the single banger 16 hp garden tractor. The lawn mowers get the used oil from the others if it isn't too black lol

Rotella, it has more zinc in it than other premium diesel engine oils. Cummins really likes it. I've seen the bearings on a 15 litter Cummins that didn't use rotella and it's not pretty.

Rotella, it has more zinc in it than other premium diesel engine oils. Cummins really likes it. I've seen the bearings on a 15 litter Cummins that didn't use rotella and it's not pretty.
I've seen what bearings look like on gas engines using Castrol GTX 20-50 oil!! Used that stuff for over 10 years from 73 until the mid 80's and will never ever use that crap again even if someone says they changed the formula......

And get a good filter. Fleetguard, Mopar, WIX, NAPA WIX, Carquest WIX, Baldwin, Donaldson, AMSOIL and I think Purolator. Stay far away from FRAM and some others I can't remember. Their filtering media has a tendency to come apart and plug up the piston cooling jets.

Been running generic Tractor Supply 15w40. 230k 1995 12 valve. Had it apart 2 years ago for a head gasket (runs 35+ psi boost). Used for nothing but towing. 19,000 total rig weight. It was spotless inside.
Doug

And get a good filter. Fleetguard, Mopar, WIX, NAPA WIX, Carquest WIX, Baldwin, Donaldson, AMSOIL and I think Purolator. Stay far away from FRAM and some others I can't remember. Their filtering media has a tendency to come apart and plug up the piston cooling jets.
I've never used anything but Fleetguards on my '01. And all Stratopores since early on.

I have ran Valvoline and Rotella 15w40, and for the last few years the Mobil Delvac Extreme Synthetic because they have been having a decent rebates program.
Currently 1-Gallon from Wal-Mart is 19.97 (15.6c/oz) and the rebate is $6/gallon limit 2 ($12 rebate on 2 gallons.)
For the 2.5-gallon size is $47.68 (14.9c/oz) and the rebate is $15eact limit 2 ($30 rebate on 5 gallons.) <-- seems like a good deal!
Rebate starts April 1 to May 31
Link to Mobil Rebate: Mobil Delvac™ – Terms

For a filter, I have been using the K&N. The nut on the bottom makes it easy to replace from under the truck.

Last edited:
260,000 is not high mileage for a Cummins, I've got 450,000 on my 99 and it's still running strong. I used to use Rotella, but have started using Mobil Delvac. 15-40 year round even in the northern tundra up here, tried the 5-40 to see if it helped starting when below 0* F, but not enough to justify the cost.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back