• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Make/Model car would you never own?

I live in the Houston area so I know about heat and freeways that either haul butt or are stopped. Mine youngest is 33 and had to learn the hard way on several issues with cars....even after telling her what to look out for. And she's always running late and in a hurry. That's one thing I was always good about and was usually early for work or appointments. She got that crap from her mother....
Funny! Yeah my better half and oldest are always running at the last minute! My wife had the habit of letting the gas tank get low, often I'd fill it (as I've done now for 30 years) but not always in our early days. I warned her about this when I went to fill the tank being real low. We used to drive the same route part way to work every morning and she'd leave 15 minutes before I did. One time saw her on the side of the road and she must have been relieved when she saw me coming in my copper Challenger. I knew it was likely she was out of gas. I slowed down to gawk and then kept going well, about a 1/2 mile before turning around. Ouch, this was a MISTAKE playing da joke! She was NOT amused! So back home to get the gas can and get enough in her car to get to the gas station. Since then I don't recall her ever letting her car get under a 1/4 tank...but as it is I inherited the routine of gassing up da car.

Good point, I have tossed in a qt of heavier oil and now with her being in Miami, always hotter than you know there. She drove home over 4th of July and I changed oil + added an oil additive before we drove back and I flew back home. Still, like clockwork uses a qt every thousand miles! When we chat on the phone I usually ask her "You check your oil?" Most times she says yep, sometimes it's "oh thanks for reminding me". Driving in Miami is a bitch with backed up traffic and running the A/C full blast. On the freeway it's either going 75mph or zero. I 'remind' her "If ya run your motor out of oil you'll be stuck where you are waiting for a tow truck and buying a new motor." Car upkeep is never on the minds of my wife or daughters until something bad happens. Feel more helpless if this would happen to my kid (well ahh she's 33 lol) living 1500 miles away..
Be glad it is only 1 qt / thousand. Our Accord has gone threw 3.5 in 750. Hasn't been started in 2 years and not sure what to do with it.

Be glad it is only 1 qt / thousand. Our Accord has gone threw 3.5 in 750. Hasn't been started in 2 years and not sure what to do with it.
The dealer's trick was running a qt of tranny oil in it for a 1000 miles and back for an oil change. Did this like 3 times no diff. Have to wonder how many Honda motors might have seized running them out of oil. And the way the X warranty was worded, it was like written deftly to exclude the problems these era motors had. Gave them fuckers a piece of my mind too for what that was worth...nada...but least I was able to vent.

I love the Subaru’s that we’ve owned, bought another new one last year and would do it again. But that’s not what the thread is about, so...
I would never buy any Jeep that doesn’t have a frame. We have a ‘08 JK, love it, will definitely buy another if this ones dies. We aren’t soccer moms; we pound this thing like a rental and can’t break it.
Drove a new Neon once, hated it. Felt cheap and rattly.
Had a new Ford Taurus once, never again. Had seven major warranty claims in a year. We were honestly scared to drive it. It broke every time that we left the driveway.

Quickest answer that came to mind for me:
Tesla (or any other all electric)

Some of y'alls' answers tickle me, though - and rather than be throwing dreaded RED X'S around, I decided just to
have some fun instead :):

What, you don't like "lesbo limousines"? :lol:

More for the rest of us then, I reckon:
View attachment 1047134
We've had two ('06 and this '12, both hemi R/T models) and they're extremely well
built (like tanks!) and have served us very well, no matter what name is on them.

View attachment 1047135

View attachment 1047136

View attachment 1047137

View attachment 1047138

View attachment 1047140

View attachment 1047143
Funny pictures, but after gmc laughed in my face about fixing my wife’s barely out of warranty car while she was 8 months pregnant in a high risk pregnancy really pissed me off and they lost me as a customer. I’ve been dealing with dodge for years also and nothing from my experiences tells me they would’ve handled it any differently. So ya, **** em.

No foreign allowed in my Family. Never owned a foreign car and never will (yeah yeah, I know the majority of today's American cars ars less American then ever). I am from a die hard FoMoCo and GM Family. I am the only Mopar dude in the Family and get grief for it all the time. I have never owned Ford or Chevrolet. I have only had Dodges, Chryslers and Plymouths my whole life.

Quickest answer that came to mind for me:
Tesla (or any other all electric)

Some of y'alls' answers tickle me, though - and rather than be throwing dreaded RED X'S around, I decided just to
have some fun instead :):

What, you don't like "lesbo limousines"? :lol:

More for the rest of us then, I reckon:
View attachment 1047134
We've had two ('06 and this '12, both hemi R/T models) and they're extremely well
built (like tanks!) and have served us very well, no matter what name is on them.

View attachment 1047135

View attachment 1047136

View attachment 1047137

View attachment 1047138

View attachment 1047140

View attachment 1047143
So, Ed. Are you glad that you got that out of your system? Too funny. lol.

4 door Charger or one of those 4 door Jeep’s all the soccer moms drive these days

We have one of each: 2016 Scat Pack Charger and 2013 Jeep Wrangler 4dr but the wife's now a hockey mom, formerly a soccer mom and coach. The Charger puts a smile on my face every time I start it. The Jeep is great, especially in the summer. Can't beat top down, doors off.

I absolutely detest Prius' and Miatas.

The wife is trading her 2016 4 door Wrangler in for a 2021 2 door Wrangler Thursday.

Mitsubishi anything, new or used.
Peugeot anything, new or used.
Saab anything, new or used.
I forgot about those, but would add them to my list. Going back a few years as well, never got the attraction to AMCs or Studebakers, would never own either of them.

Being around car dealerships for 35+ years I saw it all
most of the parts managers were my racing buddies
I got the inside scoop on all kinds of stuff

some I just don't like & some it's just personal reasons
or some douche I knew owned one so I started hating them

like a 72-92 Mustang, just do nothing for me
not in style or anything else

I'd never ever own a Brickland or a Delorean

I know some people love them
I can't stand Honda's, long story involves an old GF
that loved them things

I'm not a Nissan fan at all either,
especially anything after the Datsun name

the Pontiac Aztec was a fugly *** POS

I would never own, a Tesla, a Prius, a Cube, a Leaf or a Volt either
if it was given to me I'd off as soon as possible

almost all British cars
albeit;
I did have a liking for MG's, Triumphs & Jags
when I was younger & dumber

I hate almost anything built by the French
(yeah I know Peugeot is part of the Chrysler brand now too)
Citreon is another I'd never ever own

I don't really like anything Italian either, Fiat Ferrari Lambo Alfa etc.
(yeah I know DRJC is partially owned by the Italians)
pretty-much anything from a previously European fascist held/ran country
but most of the newer foreign stuff does absolutely nothing for me

my newest is a 2002 F-350 SD 7.3ltr diesel dually 4x4
I hate driving it, plastic crap-box, my dad loves that thing,
he's put 150k miles on it, he uses it like a DD
it's expensive to own, insure, register & service
it does tow well, but that's about all I like about it
sadly in 2002 It was about the best I could get for a tow rig

I should have kept my ol' 95 Ram 3500 dually 5.9ltr Cummins
or 98 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve 5.9ltr Cummins
for some damn lame *** reason, I wanted a newer truck
I regret it daily too
(the fact they both had 350k+ almost trouble-free miles was part of it)

my Daily driver is a 1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr Magnum ext-cab
it's only just turned 60k miles, I love that lil' Truck
probably one of the best I've ever owned, it was a dealer demo
when I bought it

I've owned quite a few Jeeps & Toyota 4x4's

I'm not a big fan of the newer Toyotas at all
just something about them I don't like anymore

If I was to buy something new today
I'd probably still be a Dodge, Chrysler, Ram or Jeep,
I prefer to buy domestic/American brands,
even if they are not 100% American owned & made
call me crazy, I'm stubborn as I am loyal

I use to like old VW's, I wouldn't own a newer one now
I do love older air-cooled Porsche's (too expensive now)
a very select few older Mercedes (also too pricey to service & own)
Not a fan of BMW's, I know some people love them
(but used they can be had dirt cheap, have a serious depreciation rate, like Merc's)
just a thing, not really sure why
I drove a couple of BMW's 7 & 8 series back in the 80's & 90's
they handled well, but IMO were turds, haven't really driven any newer ones

Seems like Japanese & South Korean cars,
have the best reputations now,
some are more American made, than the rest built here
I just don't care for most of them now
At All

Last edited:
Funny thing is I’d bet the “foreign” manufacturers build more vehicles here than the so called “domestic” brands. You

1970 Dodge Superbee. I have posted this encounter before. Two summer's ago, while driving down the highway. I saw a burnt orange older car ahead. Looked to be Mopar. I sped up to catchup and there was a '70 Superbee. I pulled up on the side. Pushed the clutch in so to hear his engine. Very distinctive near stock 383. I gave him a nod of my head. And he turned up his nose with a discussed look on his face. I mean, how often does a '69 GTX pull up next to your classic muscle just tooling down the highway? I slapped it down to 3rd and gave him a sound and visual of the 440. Leaving his "Cat faced" Dodge to his own. Ever since that encounter? I have not liked that Dodge body style including Cornet. I also understand this incident is not Dodge's fault. And is a prejudice in my own mind. But none the less? It exists for me.

Funny pictures, but after gmc laughed in my face about fixing my wife’s barely out of warranty car while she was 8 months pregnant in a high risk pregnancy really pissed me off and they lost me as a customer. I’ve been dealing with dodge for years also and nothing from my experiences tells me they would’ve handled it any differently. So ya, **** em.
Damn commie pinko sympathizer....
GeorgewashingtonCharger.jpg

:usflag::moparsmiley::usflag::moparsmiley::usflag:

(The folks up in Brampton make a pretty damn good product, so thanks to our :canada: friends also!
Oh heck, while we're at it - thank you to our friends south of the border, too. Great engines, these hemi's:thumbsup:).

In all seriousness, you've had some bad experiences at CERTAIN dealers.
Everyone has - and it isn't limited to one make... that's trying to argue a blanket absolute by citing
specific examples.
That doesn't hold water in any debate - or in logical thought, for that matter.

Oh and BTW - GM?? Seriously?
(Looks at top of page....yep, I'm still on a MOPAR forum...ok, just checking....)

Well, then allow me to retort, good sir:
1. I've had as many GOOD experiences at Chrysler dealers over the decades as you have reportedly had
bad ones....oh wait, you just assumed you would have, had you been actually talking about Chrysler instead
of *gag* GM.
Conversely, you don't have to look very far online to find folks who are just as pissed off at a Toyota/Subaru/
Hyundai/whatever the hell brand dealer as any others....
the point being, dealers are dealers, to be dealt with as such (necessary evils) as little as possible.

2. If you buy cars that don't NEED dealer attention to begin with...then there's not much chance of a bad
experience with same, eh?
You know what my exposure to dealers has been for the last few decades?
Recalls - and they ALL get recalled a LOT anymore, thanks to a litigious society (and crappy Japanese air
bag manufacturers).
That's pretty much it.
All of which were done by appointment, locally - with me standing there watching, having a donut with the
service manager.

Nope, I'll stick with who brung me to the dance... which conveniently just happens to be MOPAR.

Never own a ford unless its an early fastback mustang or a 32-34 coupe.

Well it took me 30+ years to ever consider buying anything out of da big 3 before I got the Sonata. Was a die hard mostly Chrysler and few GM - Olds and Pontiacs (two Aurora's and an Intrigue). Worst car I owned and the first brand new one I bought (outside of company cars I could select at one time) was an '89 Eagle for my wife. It had serious inherent electrical problems that cost me dearly; recall this was around the time Chrysler merged with a foreign company, think a French mfg. Got all that fixed and 1st agenda was to sell da effer. The guy that bought it asked if I had the electricals fixed; when I said yes he bought it immediately. My Aurora's were neat for all the biz travel I had to do and kickass styling; but higher maintenance (Caddy North Star 8's) and the Intrigue, I talked about in my earlier post, was the last straw to consider looking at the Sonata impressed with the next gen body style and reviews coupled with great pricing. So - what can I say to yaz die hard never buy foreign guys? Been reliable, few hassles, haven't gone to ****...well as for my daughter's beloved Honda CRV though - nada. Told them (Honda regional people) chatting about the complaints will never buy one again. Ya lost me at saying a quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal!

Auto Transport Service
Back