• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What motivates you?

Tim Chavez

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
Hey Gents.
I wanted to post something that hits close to home for me and maybe some of you. As of late I have lost a lot of the motivation I’ve had in the past to spend time working on the Charger. I feel like I’ve been chasing the same issues over and Over and It’s left me extremely discouraged and left me with very little desire to get out to the shed and wrench. I unfortunately have no friends that enjoy cars or even desire to enjoy them beyond getting them from point a to point b and I didn’t come from a “car” family either. I’ve relied heavily on YouTube and forums like this one to learn everything I can but I still feel like I’m in over my head when I can’t seem to get things to run right or even work at all for that matter. So, not to get too deep into my sob story I truly just want to know, what motivates you? What keeps that drive to get your cars running or in for some restored? What have you done to rekindle that fire when it looks like it’s going out?
Thanks for your input guys!
-Tiny Tim

17476B91-7B15-4D9C-B414-17AC1C1B00C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone can buy a car. But when you finally get to drive a car that “I built” means so more than driving a bought car.

Call it OCD or whatever you want to call it but if I have a problem or something that needs done, I have to figure it out or get it done or it drives me nuts. I have a passion for Mopars and I get a sense of satisfaction knowing that I found the answer or got it done myself. Not that I can do everything myself because I can't and if I know it's beyond my abilities, I won't try. An example is bodywork, I don't have the expertise or the garage to do it, but most everything else I will tackle myself. Keep after it man, you'll get it

I paint watercolors, and I have to say it is not fun. It can be very stressful. As I am painting and something turns out very well, say the eyes of a Wolf, the pressure is on to not mess up the rest of the painting. The reward is in the end if I manage to not wreck the painting. When it's done and the pressure off, the reward is realized, and I can start to enjoy it.
At least with my cars, which is another form of self expression, if I mess up, it doesn't wreck the car beyond repair. I have to redo it, but the stress to not fail isn't there for me like there is with watercolors. ...and I fail a lot. That's how we learn... hopefully. The downside of cars is: it takes a lot of time. You have to keep at it, try to fearlessly embrace tasks you have never done before and one day you will get everything done. Then it's on to the next one.

I'm with you on this Tim. I love working on my cars when I have someone there for company. Better yet, I love working on my cars when I'm the helper and someone else is leading the repair.

First thing is you need a plan. Have a list, whether it's a list on paper or in your mind. Have your priorities listed first. Then just concentrate on one thing at a time so things don't become overwhelming.

Second thing is, if you become frustrated, walk away from it and take a break, maybe for a couple of days. It will give you time for your subconscious to think about what you might be missing or even a different way of thinking about the situation. If you're still stumped and cannot find a solution, definitely get on here and ask away. That's what this site is all about.

Motivate yourself by looking at other cars like the one you have. Magazines, YouTube, Car shows. You'll be thinking how you want your car to turn out when you're finished. Hang in there, everyone goes though this.

My job is IT support for computers. I like working on old cars because there are no computers. It's "fairly" simple. I enjoy using my tools, and just making progress. Don't look at the big picture. Break it down by system. I just did the brakes on all 4 corners, hardware, shoes, turned the drums, replaced the wheel cylinders and the rubber hoses. Felt good to finish each corner, then all 4 corners and then replacing the master cylinder. Once I bleed the brakes it will feel good to be able to drive it for the first time.

When I go out in to the garage & work on these. This is enough to keep me motivated as the end results I think came out beautiful on both. Now I have two other projects, another 70' Charger & a 70' Road Runner that I have given to my Son's to pass the torch to them to restore & we can build these cars the way they want is my most motivation.

20170903_161436.jpg IMG9505671.jpg

Simple really...Do not undertake more than you are capable of handling. This is regardless of the project you are undertaking. It's called Needs and Wants. I want this done or that and maybe that over there when it is much easier to focus on the little things and then the bigger things will fall into place. A plan of action is always smart but what I have found out to be true is that often times that plan is thrown as-cue because a curve ball is suddenly thrown at ya. I spent almost 10 plus years building my 66 Plymouth Satellite. It still has bugs and quirks and some finishing to be completely done. It runs great but I have not driven it much since it got back in to commission. And now that I am getting a lot longer in the tooth, I have suddenly lost all motivation to complete it. In fact I am in the process of putting together a sales proposal to finally sell it to someone that wants to see it finished. It's just the way it is and I have a few other more pressing projects that are taking more of my very precious time. Just my tak o9n this but keep plugging away as it will eventually come to fruition...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Since I was about 14 years old one of my favorite things is to be alone in the garage working on bikes and cars. To many focus on the “finish line” and become frustrated and/or overwhelmed. Enjoy the journey, even when you’ve got rust in your eye.

All good points.
Some things are going to be out of your wheel house. Don't get discouraged, we all fall in the category of ability at different levels.

Something that made lots of sense to me, always buy as much car as you can. With paint jobs costing 4k and an engine rebuild around the same, that 12k running car is probably a better deal than the 3K car that needs everything.

What year Charger do you have? Is it to the point you can drive it?
That is what motivates me, driving around in a car that I have personally been in every square inch of. Built not bought has some cred.

It's hard to sustain motivation on a project that seems endless.
One thing at a time, one day at a time. I know it's easy to say but it's often the only way things get accomplished. Rome wasn't built overnight.

I'm in the 4th year if a restoration but keep finding difficulties. I've told myself the last 3 years I'm going to at least get it self powered. Hopefully this year I do.

All good points.
Some things are going to be out of your wheel house. Don't get discouraged, we all fall in the category of ability at different levels.

Something that made lots of sense to me, always buy as much car as you can. With paint jobs costing 4k and an engine rebuild around the same, that 12k running car is probably a better deal than the 3K car that needs everything.

What year Charger do you have? Is it to the point you can drive it?
That is what motivates me, driving around in a car that I have personally been in every square inch of. Built not bought has some cred.
well it’s a 71 Charger 500. I bought it when I was 15 (I’m almost 30 now) with 1400 bucks my grandpa left me when he passed. The car was nearly complete, only missing odds and ends like the rear seat,the carpet, the radio and the wing. We initially nursed it home under it’s own power (about half a mile) but I really did very little with it for the next 10-12 years( I had neither the tools, knowledge nor space in my parents single car attached garage.) Three years ago I bought a house in the country that had a 30x50 shed with my now wife and have over the years acquired a good set of basic tools so it was then that I finally drug the car out of my parents garage, got it home and started working. I’ve had it on the road maybe a half a dozen times never for very long due to overheating and carb/running issues. I think it’s record is 1 block, (about 4.5 miles) before the temp gauge was spiking. Since I’ve had it home I’ve done the complete brake job( all4 shoes,springs and wheel cylinders) rebuilt the carb (twice) replaced the fuel pump, replaced the radiator with a new aluminum rad, did plugs, wires, converted it to an HEI distributor and ignition system and replaced the headers. The car doesn’t seem to want to find an idle below 1500 rpm. And will often sputter out and die on its own without warning. When I have it on the road it doesn’t seem to shift right on it’s on but shifts strong when I Use the slap stik. So all in all she’s still a mess but she’s my mess. I’m just afraid of tearing too far into the motor and ending up unable to put it back together I’m also afraid of throwing parts at the issue (like just going out and buying a new carb for $400) with the limited budget that I have.

Last edited:
Focus on what you want it to look like and let that keep you pushing toward that goal of finishing.

Two things that get me going are music and comfortable weather. Too hot, and I go hide somewhere. Temperatures in the '70's with the sun shining, and I am raring to go. Any music/radio playing also helps me get out and do something.

It helps to have a little in your tummy, not enough to make one drowsy, but something to make sure the hunger pangs stay away for a few hours.

One more thing, when things are messy, scattered around all over the place, I also stay clear of the garage. Once I finally set aside time to organize tools and supplies again, I feel like getting back to work (and messing things up all over again).

For me personally, I learned not to bite off more than I can chew. I had a '70 Cuda Convertible that needed a complete ground up restoration. Long story short, I had to accept the fact that I was not a "restoration" kind of guy. I do not have the time or the patience. So, I traded it, (with some cash) for a car that had already been restored. Yes, I took the easy way out. But for me, it was the right decision. Instead of "restoring" a Mopar for the last 10 years, I have been "driving" one for the last ten years. I still enjoy the tuning, maintaining, making changes to the car, and sorting out issues as they arise, (after all, they are never "done"); but a ground up project just wasn't for me.

I break down big jobs into little jobs. Don't need to complete the work today. It's a hobby not a job. Never work to long on jobs that piss me off when not going well, walk away. If it's going well, sometimes I forget about lunch and my wife has to call me in for dinner, but those days are rare. For me I like to start a job first thing when I get up. I'm retired so I have most morning to get to it. Like was said, a little motivations come from books, cruise nights, or TV car shows. Sometimes it best to leave it alone for a month or more, maybe you will miss it then. Hang in there Tim, we all have been there.

Last edited:
One step at a time. Timing first, you need a timing light and a good vacuum gauge. Disconnect and plug vacuum advance and set initial around 14 BTDC, watch the vacuum gauge for the highest reading and that should be close to where you want to be. If you replaced the radiator then there are only 3 other possibles. Water pump, thermostat or a clogged block (doubtful the block is that bad) A good thermostat is cheap and a good idea to replace anyway if yours is old. Get back after this

well it’s a 71 Charger 500. I bought it when I was 15 (I’m almost 30 now) with 1400 bucks my grandpa left me when he passed. The car was nearly complete, only missing odds and ends like the rear seat,the carpet, the radio and the wing. We initially nursed it home under it’s own power (about half a mile) but I really did very little with it for the next 10-12 years( I had neither the tools, knowledge nor space in my parents single car attached garage.) Three years ago I bought a house in the country that had a 30x50 shed with my now wife and have over the years acquired a good set of basic tools so it was then that I finally drug the car out of my parents garage, got it home and started working. I’ve had it on the road maybe a half a dozen times never for very long due to overheating and carb/running issues. I think it’s record is 1 block, (about 4.5 miles) before the temp gauge was spiking. Since I’ve had it home I’ve done the complete brake job( all4 shoes,springs and wheel cylinders) rebuilt the carb (twice) replaced the fuel pump, replaced the radiator with a new aluminum rad, did plugs, wires, converted it to an HEI distributor and ignition system and replaced the headers. The car doesn’t seem to want to find an idle below 1500 rpm. And will often sputter out and die on its own without warning. When I have it on the road it doesn’t seem to shift right on it’s on but shifts strong when I Use the slap stik. So all in all she’s still a mess but she’s my mess. I’m just afraid of tearing too far into the motor and ending up unable to put it back together I’m also afraid of throwing parts at the issue (like just going out and buying a new carb for $400) with the limited budget that I have.
The carb and overheating might go hand in hand.
Have you checked for a vacuum leak?
How about timing? Do you have a timing light?
I had an HEI on a 460 that was giving me fits, it was all over the place.
Just start at the beginning and work through the run issues first, see if the cooling issues go away.
Edit- treed by @Bill Monk

This little one wants to be driven to the alter in the same car... some 28.5 years later. Excuse me.. I gotta get back to the shop! :)
beepics 018.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back