• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What parts do I need???

Ben Bolles

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a 72 satellite. I have a late 70s truck 318 picked up from a friend. And a early 80s 727 I got from the junk yard. Im going to the junkyard this weekend I know I need a car pick up tube and oil pan. (I know the pick up tube I should and i will buy new) I don't know what I'm looking for as far as the flex plate and torque converter go. I know the converter needs to be from a 318 but that's all I know. Thanks for reading and sharing your input.

What motor in the 72 now? what trans ?
are you planning to swap
check driveshaft length differences if now a 904
use atf+4 and change the filter in that junkyard trans
if you grab a converter watch out for 360's look for balance weights
360 flexplate should work

It had a 318 and 904. The trans quit and I sold the motor to a friend who needed it for a car he was restoring. I sold the motor and trans as a combo. I wish I would have pulled the parts off it I needed but didn't happen. I know the drive shaft will need to be shortend (I have a local shop that will do it). So then car motor mounts the flex plate should be good and look for a 318 for it's converter and I'm pretty sure the rest is straight forward

727 driveshaft is 4"shorter, different yoke. Need correct size U-joint (2 different sizes). May need a different flex plate depending on what converter you get. If the 727 has a smooth spot machined into the end of the input shaft it's a lock-up and will require a lock-up converter. Personally I'd stay with the 904. Plenty strong enough to handle well over 400hp, unmodified. Modified over 900hp. A $100 worth of rebuild parts and you would have been in business.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back