• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What radiator do i have?

manic_mopar

Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Im getting ready to tear off my timing chain cover to repair an oil leak I (finally!) found coming from a bad seal. Since I'm tearing everything off infront of the cover anyways, i decided to shed a few pounds and get the 440source aluminum water pump housing and other bits to go with it.

Ever since we bought the car back in early 2000's, it has never had a radiator shroud nor have we felt like it was the correct radiator to begin with. The car was VIN'd for a 400 auto and we bought it with a 440 4-speed in it. (1973 Road Runner)

The car runs at a constant 180-190 while moving and creeps up when sitting to over 200. So the system works great while driving but needs help when sitting still. Any idea if we actually have a correct radiator? it is a 26" Core, drivers side upper, pass side lower. My goal is to keep this radiator since it is working so well (I almost bought an aluminum one) and get a shroud. I'll be looking locally to get this current radiator freshened up since it has a couple extremely slow leaks around the end caps. But I dont want to buy a shroud without knowing that I have the right radiator, or at least one that is comparable enough to order the right shroud.

My upper hose is also elusive to me. The one on there is something i was able to find at napa just by comparing the universal hose that used to be on it. I would love to know what make/model/year i should buy to get a proper drivers side upper hose from a 440.

Thanks everyone!

0703181632.jpg 0703181632a.jpg

what is the tank number? on top of the unit, that does not look like an original mopar radiator

Looks like a small block radiator. 400 radiator should have hoses on the passenger side.
74charger2.jpg

Not sure of that particular water pump housing, but compare the openings to your original housing. I've heard there's a supplier of restrictive housings which don't help in the coolant flow department.

what is the tank number? on top of the unit, that does not look like an original mopar radiator
Interesting observation. I couldn't find a single model or part number anywhere visibly on the tank. I'm going to be unbolting it from the car tomorrow. I'll give it a thorough once-over to see if i can find something. From the sounds of it though, this may be some aftermarket garbage from the 80's or 90's.

Thanks for the picture Rlem1977. I do know they used to drag race this car back in the 90's and blew the original 400. So maybe they took the coolant system out and everything and put whatever this thing is along with the 440 i've got.

I'll be sure to make sure this new aluminum pump housing will be comparable to the one i'm taking out. Thanks for the idea WileERobby.

I appreciate it guys. I'll post up another pic of the radiator by itself once i get it out tomorrow. Looks like I may be buying a new aluminum radiator after all! haha

Interesting observation. I couldn't find a single model or part number anywhere visibly on the tank. I'm going to be unbolting it from the car tomorrow. I'll give it a thorough once-over to see if i can find something. From the sounds of it though, this may be some aftermarket garbage from the 80's or 90's.

Thanks for the picture Rlem1977. I do know they used to drag race this car back in the 90's and blew the original 400. So maybe they took the coolant system out and everything and put whatever this thing is along with the 440 i've got.

I'll be sure to make sure this new aluminum pump housing will be comparable to the one i'm taking out. Thanks for the idea WileERobby.

I appreciate it guys. I'll post up another pic of the radiator by itself once i get it out tomorrow. Looks like I may be buying a new aluminum radiator after all! haha

The unit looks like the radiator in my 96' Ram 360 truck. diameter, width, and outlets.

The unit looks like the radiator in my 96' Ram 360 truck. diameter, width, and outlets.
Oh wow wouldnt that be something. Like i said, i have no idea what they did to tgis car in the late 80s-90s. Theres a good chance they grabbed this out if a junkyard and slapped it in. In it's defense, it works quite well. Lol. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back