• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What rear end is this?

Another way......the casting number is usually found on the front right or bottom of the carrier housing.

7-1/4

Please explain how you verified this to help us all understand better MN
Based on the limited information you provided......In other words no casting numbers listed etc.......numbers on the yoke etc....

The only thing I have provided of any use from you was the number of bolts and the ring gear size.......Furthermore, I had a 69 charger white hat special 318 AT that originally had a 7 1/4 dana......

This brings up another point and a fair amount of your postings lack additional details to clarify your answers. SO in the future crawl under the car and gather things like casting number etc. It helps to get the answers fast and eliminates this ping pong game of, this or that?

Anything else, is that sufficient enough?

Easy way to tell, 7 1/4 has 2 1/2" axle tubes and 8 1/4 has 3" tubes. Therefore, the shock mount plates for 7 1/4 rears are useless if changing rear ends.

IMO, that looks like an 8 1/4 to me if indeed a Mopar rear

It is a 7 1/4........
Sorry, it is not.
I count ten bolts.
The 7 1/4" axle was available in the B body cars with slant six engines and automatic transmissions or 3 speed manuals. I am not sure when they discontinued them but in late 1969, the 8 1/4 axle arrived for 318 and 383 2 barrel cars.
The OP has an 8 1/4" axle. It is a good unit, it can take a fair amount of abuse. They used this same basic diff for many, many years up and into the 90s. I used a SURE GRIP from a Dakota truck in a car I had several years ago. 3.55 gear and it was a good unit.
The cost of changing to an 8 3/4" unit with decent gears and a SG diff could run well over $1200. You can add a SG to the 8 1/4" for less than a third of that if you try hard enough

.......Furthermore, I had a 69 charger white hat special 318 AT that originally had a 7 1/4 dana......

Anything else, is that sufficient enough?

The 7 1/4" axle is not a Dana either. It is a Chrysler built axle. Dana was an outside supplier that made axles and components for several other automakers.

The 7 1/4" axle is not a Dana either. It is a Chrysler built axle. Dana was an outside supplier that made axles and components for several other automakers.
The 7 1/4 since I can remember was always referred to as the "small" dana...........It can actually be built up strong to be a true power horse......

they never put a 71/4 in a 70 B body from the factory

Prove me wrong... :popcorn:

Sorry, it is not.
I count ten bolts.
The 7 1/4" axle was available in the B body cars with slant six engines and automatic transmissions or 3 speed manuals. I am not sure when they discontinued them but in late 1969, the 8 1/4 axle arrived for 318 and 383 2 barrel cars.
The OP has an 8 1/4" axle. It is a good unit, it can take a fair amount of abuse. They used this same basic diff for many, many years up and into the 90s. I used a SURE GRIP from a Dakota truck in a car I had several years ago. 3.55 gear and it was a good unit.
The cost of changing to an 8 3/4" unit with decent gears and a SG diff could run well over $1200. You can add a SG to the 8 1/4" for less than a third of that if you try hard enough

I agree :thumbsup:
." I am not sure when they discontinued them "
I don't know for sure either, but I'm guessing in 68 sometime.

they never put a 71/4 in a 70 B body from the factory

Prove me wrong... :popcorn:
Where did I state it was "factory" installed in relation to the OP's car? I did not....Prove me wrong.......

I cannot tell you how many cars I have ran across and was amazed to what parts were changed........

Again, a simple casting number would clarify as to what has......

that is what he will have to do to know for sure
as I learned there are also 10 bolt 71/4 rears out there
so counting bolt holes won't cut it..
will be interesting to see what he finds
also he can pop the cover and check the date code/ratio on the ring gear

Where did I state it was "factory" installed in relation to the OP's car? I did not....Prove me wrong.......

I cannot tell you how many cars I have ran across and was amazed to what parts were changed........

I never said you stated anything???
heck I was surprised to hear of a 7 1/4 in a 68-70 b
when you said you had one in a 69
I've parted over a dozen cheaper model cars from then and haven't come across one yet.
you can never say never with these cars as you always can learn something new.
I still think by 70 81/4 was the cheapest rear you could get

I never said you stated anything???
heck I was surprised to hear of a 7 1/4 in a 68-70 b
when you said you had one in a 69
I've parted over a dozen cheaper model cars from then and haven't come across one yet.
you can never say never with these cars as you always can learn something new.
I still think by 70 81/4 was the cheapest rear you could get
I thought you were referring to me Frank....my error....

I still have that rear end if you can believe that......Its in my parts storage in another state.....Next time I am there I will take some pics of that.....It got yanked for a Dana 60 to replace it....

At the time I was shocked to see that rear in the car......It had a pristine BS, FT etc....and it was the rear coded for that car....Unfortunately, I sold that car many years ago......

THIS car came with a 2.71 gear 8 1/4" axle.

CH 2000.jpg

My 1970 Charger 500. 318, 904.
1L.jpg

The 7 1/4 since I can remember was always referred to as the "small" dana...........It can actually be built up strong to be a true power horse......
I probably came across as rude before, sorry for that.
The Dana Corporation has made a variety of axles for GM, Ford and Chrysler. Chrysler did make their own for the most part. I have heard people call the 9 1/4" axle the light duty Dana but I think that people use "Dana" like some use the term "Posi". It gets the point across but isn't correct.
Back on point:
I counted the bolts as best as I could since the OP did not provide a better picture. I can understand though, without the car hanging in the air, he surely got the best picture that he could.
Regardless, I recognize the shape of the cover. They were certainly offered in the 1970 models, I have seen several. They are stronger than the GM 8.5 axle and you don't have to worry about the C clips breaking off, launching an axle shaft out the side!

I stand corrected
Thank you..
I was looking for that and couldn't find it.
That might be when the late 10 bolt version came in.
That is what they called it but didn't have a year listed.

Auto Transport Service
Back