• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What rear end is this?

What's your time frame for replacement?
I have to get my front suspension done before I upgrade the rear end so not in any hurry. This is why I am researching and wanting to know what I actually have to work with. Unfortunately my health is not that great and just getting under the car is difficult for me.

I probably came across as rude before, sorry for that.
The Dana Corporation has made a variety of axles for GM, Ford and Chrysler. Chrysler did make their own for the most part. I have heard people call the 9 1/4" axle the light duty Dana but I think that people use "Dana" like some use the term "Posi". It gets the point across but isn't correct.
Back on point:
I counted the bolts as best as I could since the OP did not provide a better picture. I can understand though, without the car hanging in the air, he surely got the best picture that he could.
Regardless, I recognize the shape of the cover. They were certainly offered in the 1970 models, I have seen several. They are stronger than the GM 8.5 axle and you don't have to worry about the C clips breaking off, launching an axle shaft out the side!
Kern, I didn’t take it as being rude.....

Again, I will refer to them as they have been called for as long as I can remember........I don’t factor your opinion...just as you don’t mine......so we are at an impasse....

Now back on topic.....until we get more information then it’s still a toss up but I lean to what I stated earlier. Until proven otherwise......

I will try and grt the casting number to complete this thread and help others who end up reviewing this in the future.

Are the casting numbers on the front side of the gear box towards the driver or on the back side?

Thanks

So I finally was able to ascertain what rear end I have. I have a 10 bolt cover and the shaft tube is 3”. Soooooo looks like its an 8-1/4 rear end. No I have a 2.71:1. I read that there were two carriers used and 2.71:1 was the cut off but not sure if that was less than AND equal to but I bet I have the wrong carrier. In any event I am going to be looking for a Sure Grip 3:55 or 3:73 and I guess a carrier for it. Comments?

My '70 Charger had a 2.71 geared 8 1/4" axle when new!

My '70 Charger had a 2.71 geared 8 1/4" axle when new!
KD Did you get inside the case at all? Any idea about the carrier size? I need to figure out what is needed to upgrade my gears and carrier possibly as well.

Sorry, I wasn't "forward thinking" enough to save it, inspect it or do anything with it. I should have. I thought the 2.71 diff worked with the 3.21, 3.55 and 3.91. I was told that the 2.45 that came along later was the orphan that had its own specific carrier.
You could contact Shawn at River City Differentials in Sacramento CA 916 852 7109.

Sorry, I wasn't "forward thinking" enough to save it, inspect it or do anything with it. I should have. I thought the 2.71 diff worked with the 3.21, 3.55 and 3.91. I was told that the 2.45 that came along later was the orphan that had its own specific carrier.
You could contact Shawn at River City Differentials in Sacramento CA 916 852 7109.
Thanks I will! Looks like I need a 27 spline not 29 spline as those were for newer applications.

If your referring to the tag. I believe it says 2.71 gear ratio 10-4? But if you were referring to bikini, that is definitely a sure grip! lol

2.56 and higher was the cutoff on the carrier. Lots of info in this thread. Grab a track lock from a dana 30 jeep and you have a great rear. A lot of them came with 3.55 also and drop right into a 8.25
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/the-8-1-4-thread.350667/

2.56 and higher was the cutoff on the carrier. Lots of info in this thread. Grab a track lock from a dana 30 jeep and you have a great rear. A lot of them came with 3.55 also and drop right into a 8.25
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/the-8-1-4-thread.350667/

Hey Halifaxhops thanks for commenting here!! I started reading your thread on the Abody site last night. I am a member there as well since there are lots of 340 folks. I didn’t get far but its a great post and needed by people like me! Let me read it carefully I am sure I will have some questions! Glad your still active here man!!!

Yeah I got that crap peg leg 271 which is the carrier break ratio. Question if I find a 3.55:1 like you said I will need to get 3 things.....the differential carrier assembly the ring and the pinion right? Also a 27 spline from a 1997 or older donor right? I know I will need new bearings and shims and seals which I know I can get over the counter.

Yes a shim/bearing kit grab the ring and pinion if it is a good ratio. I took the rear disks for mine pretty easy to mod and bolt on.

That thread kind of got out of control, really needs to get all the info in some kind of order.

I have never heard of a 2.56 ratio in any Mopar. GM ? Sure, but no Mopars.

That's just how it is listed for the carrier, strange number for sure.

So sitting in the hospital leads to boredom. Which is far better than being so sick that your not bored. But I just found what I was looking for and if described accurately then I didn’t have to go crawling through the junk yard which just is not in the cards for me now and maybe ever. I think this is exactly what I needed for my 8-1/4 peg leg 2.71:1 from all the research. Price wise is fine just wanted to get approvals on fitment. Its the 27 spline for my 1971 Sport Satellite. What are those thin washer rings? Are they reusable? I will buy new bearings just out of caution.

0E97A78F-0608-40B2-9DD4-3BE27C1EFA35.png E0E6691D-1707-49D2-BABF-29BBBB0E52D8.jpeg 86F388B3-2241-4D64-88A3-04E2823101F0.jpeg 51FC6C2C-E14D-4354-82CC-D5774C0F9FC7.jpeg F1E42CFC-D573-4B5B-8929-7F38283B5994.jpeg 8E1F2390-CA07-4F8D-BB32-E6CDEEB8B348.jpeg

Are you talking about the C looking 'washers' ? They are 'C' clips to hold the axles in....and if the bearings look good and are not pitted, they will do fine. Timken bearings are tough.

Know of any good exploded diagrams of the 8-1/4 axle around anywhere? Good detailed installation instructions would be great too! But I know I may not get that lucky. This is not a third member installation and I know its got to be right or the assembly will be wasted real quick.

Auto Transport Service
Back