• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What requirements are there to titling and registering a "Salvaged" car?

Technically, the cars are still supposed to retain the emission equipment though they are exempt from testing for 1975 and older models.

1 yeah right.png

Last edited:
If the guy he bought the car from sent in transfer of ownership paperwork that won't work..

If the car is truly "out of the system" there won't be any record of that either.

Only way to know is to have the VIN run and see what shows up.

Sorry, I can't perceive "a few bucks" and 'lawyer" in the same sentence. If you want to spend money, an independent registration service will give you better advice.

Sorry, I can't perceive "a few bucks" and 'lawyer" in the same sentence. If you want to spend money, an independent registration service will give you better advice.
You get my gist. Somebody who knows the ins-and-outs of the process.

I've done a few in Ohio but always modern salvage cars, apply, get an inspection ticket, go to the State Trooper inspection station and get it inspected. Honestly all they've ever been interested in is proof of purchase on all parts replaced and that everything worked (not airbags) which would be tricky in your case? That's Ohio, don't know about Cali, I suppose if you did have to prove origins and you had a title from a donor car??

There lies some trouble.
I did all of the work so there are no receipts. The front clip came from a 1970 Belvedere from a friend. No receipt for that either and no paperwork from the car it came from.
Sure, no airbags are involved. This car isn't rare or the highest value model. It isn't an R/T or a Hemi model so the likelihood of fraud for profit isn't an issue.

I could only tell you how to do it here, and you may want to as my uncle and untold numbers of people from California register their cars here for cheaper plates, lax inspection, and cheaper insurance.

Call an older junk yard or two and ask them, as they would know the easiest way to accomplish what you propose. They can also take possession of it for 30 days and get a new title. I can do it here for $50.
Hell of a deal as they keep it indoors. Can't rent a storage unit for that.

Wheels to pull the drums. Required to pull at least 2 wheels to inspect. They must check the boxes of which 2 wheels they pulled on the back of the sticker. It's a antiquated law that provides little to no safety benefit. The required drive and light and tire check is way more effective in finding a problem, while being less invasive. I fix all my vehicles myself, if it were not for pa. inspection a mechanic would never touch my cars.
My Kenworth and semi-trailer have a less intrusive inspection requirements. No my truck and trailer are not registered in Pa. for these reasons.
I will also add that the inspection stations get random audits which were done by state troopers who do not have to justify their jobs based on audits. Now there is a specific contracted inspection station auditors, guess what they need to find in order to prove their job is necessary? Yes, problems that are not really problems. Just more government created nonsense that cost us money, typical.
I hear ya. Last inspection for the truck the shop I dealt with subbed out the emissions inspection since they are just a small shop. I had less than 5k miles in the prior year which exempted me from the EI. What did they do? A full EI and charged the same as someone who put on 25k miles. I hear it depends on the shop whether they will exempt or not. What a money racket in Pa.

Before they ended inspections here, you would get one at the bar for $5 and a beer. The guy wouldn't even get up from his stool.

I shake my head at some of the spooky cars I see, but you won't catch me complaining. They'll be bringing inspection back soon enough, but I can wait. With all of the people moving here to be free, but thinking they are more sophisticated, it won't be long.

Your location shows USA but it isn’t listed what state.

Here is a weird development.
The title to this car does not have SALVAGE on it anywhere.
The NCIB does not show it to be stolen or salvaged.
The last time I was here, the clerk said it was salvaged.
I’m at the DMV now and waiting to learn more.

Salvage, don't mention the word unless they bring it up first. I am only familiar with NCIC. Register it as normal and smile as you walk out the door. BTW, all of the people I have dealt with (when converting a salvage title) have been great. Never had any problems with a missing receipt, etc. The instructions ask that you provide receipts, but they have never been real sticklers about it. The newer cars I worked on, with brand new parts, were never a problem. Older cars, they seldom asked questions about replacement parts. Best of luck at the DMV!

1 angry.jpg

The glimmer of hope was a dead end. Despite the Title I have and the info from the database, the DMV states it as being Salvaged.
To make it better...The last registered owner is dead. The guy that sold it to me started the process of the transfer by filling out the back side of the title.
The clerk said I need an ORIGINAL death certificate from the registered owner. The owner's Mother graciously made a copy for me that I saved but DMV wants the original so they can make a copy. They also want a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from. The latter is no problem...I talk to the guy at least once a week despite him moving out of state.
Its just that it is more and more obstacles to jump through.

tenor (6) (1).gif

I believe Death Certificates are public and you can buy one from the county in which he died.

In some states/counties only authorized persons can request a certified death certificate. Since the owner's mother is still around, she would be an authorized person and might even still have the original that she made a copy of.

Auto Transport Service
Back