• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should idle be in neutral for my 360?

David Womby

Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
I'm reasonably knowledgeable about cars but I know very little about American V8s. The car I bought has the following in it:

1978 Chrysler 360 rebuilt with -

P4529116 intake
4452761 cam
Summit Racing M08600VS carburetor
Factory cast iron exhaust manifolds
The transmission is a pushbutton 1962 727. I do not know what the torque converter is but guess it's 'standard'.

What should the idle speed be set at in neutral, please? It seems low at about 500rpm right now.

Thanks for any help.

David

Last edited:
I would shoot for 850, in gear is really what you want to focus on. Let the engine tell you what it wants. In gear I would aim for 650-800 if it’s not a big cam. I didn’t look up your cam.

700 rpm, + or - 50 rpm. The cam is small and should be handles like a stock cam on idling. When you out the trans in gear, there should be no drop in rpm or extremely little. I hope this helps.

Its not written in stone, just a book. Set it where YOU want it! I like 700-750 in gear, and where it is in neutral is where it is. My stout 440 idles at 1200-1300.
"What should my idle rpm be?" It "should" be where you want it to be.

Thanks, everyone. At least we agree it should be higher than the current 500rpm :thumbsup:.

I'll ratchet it up a bit at a time until it seems right for me.

David

Start at 800 in park and go up and down from there to your liking.

Well, a low idle will also mean low oil volume (poor flow to the heads especially) too since the pump turns 1/2 the engine rpm.....and 700-750 ain't bad but 500 is getting kind of low imo.

Thanks again, everyone. I upped the idle and it runs much more smoothly at stoplights! I am now running about 1050rpm in park and about 750rpm stopped in drive.

David

Thanks again, everyone. I upped the idle and it runs much more smoothly at stoplights! I am now running about 1050rpm in park and about 750rpm stopped in drive.

David
Much better huh! Thanks for posting up the outcome.

Auto Transport Service
Back