• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What sure grip do I have?

Ronald Weishaar

Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
I have a sure grip with the # 2070684 stamped on the ring gear' it has 2.76 stamped also. That's all I have! Can anyone tell me if this is a 7 1/4,8 3/4 , 9 1/4 or 9 3/4 sure grip? Or what do I need to look for to identify it?

I believe you can measure the inside diameter of the ring gear to get the size.

Measure the diameter of the ring gear, at the point where it bolts to the sure grip. If you give us a pic, we can tell you if its a cone type or clutch..... or something else (unlikely).

8-3/4
A simple measurement of the O.D. of ring gear would confirm.

Last edited:

Measure the diameter of the ring gear, at the point where it bolts to the sure grip. If you give us a pic, we can tell you if its a cone type or clutch..... or something else (unlikely).
Not trying to be a smartass here, I love you guys...but they're measured from the outside diameter of the ring gear.

I now believe I’m wrong and beanhead is correct with his suggesting a measurement of the outside diameter.

Isn't there also a number stamped on the housing that will indicate size? I believe 8-3/4 had a few different numerical designations (I have a 742).

Isn't there also a number stamped on the housing that will indicate size? I believe 8-3/4 had a few different numerical designations (I have a 742).
If the carrier is still in the housing, then yes it's easy...I was interpreting the OP as having just the diff (separate) with the ring gear installed.

A couple of pictures would get you lots of responses from lots of people that would know.

What happened to the OP?

1659786627354.png

I also measured the back side of the ring gear it was 8 1/4" the front was 8 3/4 which is the correct side measurement? And what type sure grip do I have? Thank you all sorry for being such a pain

It's an 8-3/4. Cone differential.

Here's another 8-3/4:

Measured at the carrier, 7 and just over 3/4"
20220806_084936.jpg

Measured at the bevel on the back of the ring gear, 8 and just over 1/4"
20220806_085149.jpg

Measured at the widest point--edge of the teeth-- 8-3/4" give or take a few thousanths
20220806_085218.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back