• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What sure grip do I have?

Clutch is preferred over cone. Cone style is supposed to be not-rebuildable (NOT true) but it doesn't have as positive action as the clutch, and has only two spider gears. The clutch style has four spiders.
Clutch is stronger, works better, and is definitely rebuildable.

Clutch is preferred over cone. Cone style is supposed to be not-rebuildable (NOT true) but it doesn't have as positive action as the clutch, and has only two spider gears. The clutch style has four spiders.
Clutch is stronger, works better, and is definitely rebuildable.
Thank you 33

I have a sure grip with the # 2070684 stamped on the ring gear' it has 2.76 stamped also. That's all I have! Can anyone tell me if this is a 7 1/4,8 3/4 , 9 1/4 or 9 3/4 sure grip? Or what do I need to look for to identify it?
google mopar rear ends count the bolts,look at the pictures

more inliI have a sure grip with the # 2070684 stamped on the ring gear' it has 2.76 stamped also. That's all I have! Can anyone tell me if this is a 7 1/4,8 3/4 , 9 1/4 or 9 3/4 sure grip? Or what do I need to look for to identify it?
u can identify the rear end by looking @ the dif cover if it has none then its a 8 3/4 the gears r="roll out he frount . if u have that style then it is more likly the clutch those r rebuildable the small 7 1/4 bigger 8 1/4 , the 9 1/4 r a cone type they r not rebuildable u replace the unit send me a pic of the rear end

Not trying to be a smartass here, I love you guys...but they're measured from the outside diameter of the ring gear.
this should help but on all mine the diameter was stamped on the ring gear . i had a 8.25(8 1/4) it was a 10 bolt rear end cover , byr i also had a 87 d-150 it had 10 bolt cover too but it was a 8 3/8 ring gear both had the cone type of sure grip &S both wore out & was not bebuildable shout of re placeing the unlt . u r bettr off with a 8 3/4 "banjo " type u can buy clutch kits for them or buy te from doctordiff DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components

3.JPG

3257070182_large.jpg

axlechart.jpg

mopar_axle_sizes.jpg

Mopar_rear_axle_dimensions.jpg

mopar-rear-end-axle-flange-id.jpg

rearaxle.jpg

this should help but on all mine the diameter was stamped on the ring gear . i had a 8.25(8 1/4) it was a 10 bolt rear end cover , byr i also had a 87 d-150 it had 10 bolt cover too but it was a 8 3/8 ring gear both had the cone type of sure grip &S both wore out & was not bebuildable shout of re placeing the unlt . u r bettr off with a 8 3/4 "banjo " type u can buy clutch kits for them or buy te from doctordiff DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components

View attachment 1326635

View attachment 1326636

View attachment 1326637

View attachment 1326638

View attachment 1326639

View attachment 1326640

View attachment 1326641
Thank you all for the great info

Auto Transport Service
Back