• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What temp thermostat?

Car #4

Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
I have a 440 with an Edelbrock top end kit. What temp therm should I use, 160 or 180?

I like 180 Deg. F.
There are several long threads here on thermostats and cooling system choices.

You're in Ontario, I'd say 180° if everything else in the cooling system is good. Water pump, pulley ratio, radiator size and core size, hoses, lower spring, etc... I'm in AZ w 125° summers using 180° t-stat in 496" engine. No issues at all w a/c.

Key thing is the rest of the system. If the rest of the system is performing properly the thermostat may open and close. Most of the time the thermostat will be wide open. So the degree of the stat will only dictate its opening temperature.

180. Test the new thermostat before installing. It'll save you allot of grief and r&r. I test mine by putting the thermostat in a pot with cold water and have a thermometer in the water. Crank the heat and once the water temp gets to 180, the thermostat should pop open.

180° I don't consider 160° operating temperature.

180° I don't consider 160° operating temperature.
Right. My experience 160 or 180 or 195 most all the time the car will run over the lower opening point. All the lower does is allow an earlier opening.

Right. My experience 160 or 180 or 195 most all the time the car will run over the lower opening point. All the lower does is allow an earlier opening.
A 195° in my Dakota is a must. With a 180° you freeze your butt off even with cardboard in front of the radiator. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

A 195° in my Dakota is a must. With a 180° you freeze your butt off even with cardboard in front of the radiator. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:
I am a lot colder than you up here but I agree a weak 195 that running 180 ish makes a cold ride. Got to keep a warmer on my onions.

Auto Transport Service
Back