• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the F is this? Seriously, what the F IS this?

I've seen EMS trigger the next intersection East.

WAY heavier traffic, and they did it remotely.

No such devices at that intersection.

At this intersection, the only other traffic entering or leaving the 4 lane is into or out of the school.
There's actually no street on the other side of the road from the school entrance.
There is no cross traffic.

Last edited:
EMS triggers a system only if it has Opticom. You can actually trigger it yourself with a strobe light, but of course that is illegal. I've always been surprised that the criminal element has not taken advantage of this or some fad has developed.

As far as light timing goes, it depends on the system and links. Lights can just be on a timer with no detection (the worst for encountering at 3AM), programmed for certain types of operation based on time of day, etc. with or without detection, interlinked to other signals, and/or monitored and adjusted by central control.

Signals must be interlinked to create the type of timing that lets traffic go into/out of urban areas where flow is not interrupted by side street traffic. Most jurisdictions other than urban areas with very high traffic volumes do not have the dough to splurge on interlinked, programmamable, centrally monitored/adjustable systems. 95% of the systems you will encounter operate on vehicle detection (cameras or induction loops) and a program that modifies signal timing based on time of day and day of the week, etc. .........running autonomously without human interaction, and not connected to any other signal.

I've been aware of ingress/egress timed lights as far back as the late 1970's in some smaller major metro areas.

You could sit at an intersection and watch the "domino effect" for several blocks.

In to town in the AM, out of town PM.

Last edited:
EMS triggers a system only if it has Opticom. You can actually trigger it yourself with a strobe light, but of course that is illegal. I've always been surprised that the criminal element has not taken advantage of this or some fad has developed.

Cat out of bag.gif

Not to get too far off the OP topic...

For some reason FL doesn't seem to believe in non-urban area sidewalks.

It's only 1/2 a mile to the Dollar General near my house.

I'd walk or bike there if there were a sidewalk or maybe even a 36" bike lane rather than the 12-18" "lane" on that busy, 50 MPH road.
You should be happy that they don't build sidewalks everywhere. You would go into shock if you ever sat down and figured out how much tax payer money it really cost per square foot of sidewalk. Around here those project must go out for public bid and everyone on that job must be paid "Prevailing wage " , which is about 3x their normal pay rate. Then you get to pay guys to maintain it, edge the grass , forever alter or "improve" it. Down the street from me are handicapped ramps at the intersection that go ...nowhere, surrounded by 1,000 acrers of beans, stupidest **** you have ever seen but the good news is that 4 ramps at that one intersection only cost 50k (inital cost that is).

Soon they’ll be a camera in your shitter bowl. :D

They're pretty good at installing sidewalks and bike lanes where no one ever uses them.

They just don't seem interested in putting them where people's lives are in danger because they are walking or biking on roads with only an 18" "bike lane" next to the 45 degree "shoulder" into retention that was created by moving the road edge line over a few years ago so FL could say the roads were "bike friendly".

Just a wild *** guess here, but this set up
could be an interface between pedestrians
and autonomous vehicles. Especially when
that driverless car has plans on a right turn
at the intersection.

Auto Transport Service
Back