• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Throw out bearing system are you using with your G3?

70chall440

Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
I just ordered a 5.7 crate motor which comes with a flywheel, clutch and PP. I am going to install this (eventually) into a 71 Charger and I am wondering what others are using for the throw out bearing set up, mechanical or hydraulic? I built a hydraulic system for my 73 Cuda and it works ok but still needs some tweaking, it uses a master cylinder and a slave cylinder.

In this case, I am thinking I need to run a hydraulic throw out bearing but I am not sure. I am going to be using a A833 4 speed trans.

Would love to hear what you are running and any pictures you might want to share.

I used a hydraulic in my build, but use a Tremec tranny. Got my setup from Hurst driveline conversions.. I would think it would work for an 833 but not sure. If you don't have the 833 yet the Tremec has a lot tighter shifting pattern and works well with the 5.7 - I love it. I have all the documentation for the hydraulic bearing install so if you need it for reference I can email it to you. Have some stuff on the build I did on the first page.

I do already have the A833 which is why I am using it. I like the Tremec but don't want to spend the money on it at this point. I am assuming you have a hyd TB?

I used a hydraulic in my build, but use a Tremec tranny. Got my setup from Hurst driveline conversions.. I would think it would work for an 833 but not sure. If you don't have the 833 yet the Tremec has a lot tighter shifting pattern and works well with the 5.7 - I love it. I have all the documentation for the hydraulic bearing install so if you need it for reference I can email it to you. Have some stuff on the build I did on the first page.
After thinking, if I were to use an 833 I think I would used the old linkage especially if I had it all sitting there. You may have to take that big spring off the clutch pedal if you use a decent clutch with the fingers type pressure plate. The nice thing about the hydraulic system is that you will get rid of the stock clutch linkage - there OK but had a little trouble last time I set one up. Wondered what dumb engineer designed this awful clutch system.

Just went through the first page, very interesting and thanks for pointing me to it. Are you running a 5.7?

Yes, used the 5.7. If I had to do over again would of done the 6.4 or hellcat 6.2. To be honest the 5.7 is smooth but doesn't sit you back in your seat. But, still breaking it in and really haven't put my foot into it yet. Suppose to have 500 miles on the tranny before racing - going to take me forever to get to 500 miles. Thinking about putting a pro-charger on the 5.7 but will have to move the battery in the trunk - maybe sometime soon.

I have a 5.7 in my 2010 Challenger RT as well as my 14 Ram 2500 and while I would agree that it is not "snap your neck" fast, they are pretty good. I have enough HP floating around here that I do not need brutal power for this car, I really want it to be smooth, reliable and dependable.

So here is a question, anyone try and use a factory G3 hemi clutch, pressure plate and TB? I suspect you would have to use a Tremec trans though.

Auto Transport Service
Back