• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with the bumper brackets...

myk r sanchez

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Hey folks,

The can of worms I've opened with removing the grille and the grille support on my '69 Charger has opened a little bit more and now I've removed the bumper brackets. They're structurally sound, don't look bent and have just a little bit of surface rust and grime so I wanted to clean them up and spray them with some sort of black and get them back onto the car. What's the best way to do that?

Would it be enough to just take a wire brush and/or a grinder with a wire brush attachment to the brackets, take off the loose rust and then just shoot it with primer and paint? That's what I did with my grille support and I'm satisfied with the result.

Another question: what are the two bolt holes in the center portion of the bumper bracket assembly for? I don't recall anything being bolted to those holes.

Also, when I removed the brackets it looks like one of the four bolts is the wrong bolt. Can I just buy that one bolt somewhere? All I see are sets of the complete four and I'd rather not buy them all if I don't have to. But, something tells me I can't run to NAPA or Home Depot and find these things either. Thanks in advance!

bumper-bracket-1.jpg

Personally I prefer blasting for rust removal. Of course I have a blast cabinet and a sand blaster. If you really need one matching bolt I would pop for 4 new bolts, surely that won't bust your budget?
That rust can also be removed chemically.
Mike

just wheel them and spray bomb them,it will be fine

Stock app clean them and replace.Performance make it out of aluminum and take a few lbs out!

I had mine on my 71 GTX sandblasted for 40$

If sand blasting isn't an option, a wire wheel and vinegar soaking works well.

Wire wheel, Evaporust, Prime, and Paint...

Just a quick question folks: on my grille support I was able to use a drill with a wire wheel to clean off the loose rust before I painted it. Someone recommended an angle grinder, for the increased speed over a drill, with a wire wheel for the bumper brackets. Just how deep do I need to clean these things off?

Which ever way you remove the rust wipe them well with grease and wax remover before you prime and paint them.

Just a quick question folks: on my grille support I was able to use a drill with a wire wheel to clean off the loose rust before I painted it. Someone recommended an angle grinder, for the increased speed over a drill, with a wire wheel for the bumper brackets. Just how deep do I need to clean these things off?

Wire wheel on angle grinder is faster, but be aware of maximum speed for wire wheels. Some are low-speed and will throw wires like a machine gun.

Personally, I recommend a 90 deg Air angle grinder with Roloc discs. Easy to work with, can get in tight spots too.

Don't need to get too aggressive, just get a good solid surface then treat/seal it. Lots of recommendations above. I use either Rustoleum rust reformer (easy to find locally) or Eastwood products (gotta wait for shipment) which do a pretty good job. Prime, paint and done.

RGAZ

Be careful with chucking a wire wheel in a grinder.
Like already posted they will throw wire darts when spun that fast.
Make sure you use a full face shield or goggles.

Auto Transport Service
Back