• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of plastic is grill?

Cop Magnet

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to restore mine, a 68. Basically I want to "weld" the cracked and broken plastic pieces together, fix some broken fins, and maybe mold the end knobs that sit just above the bumper.

So my options: JB plastic weld, a "plastic welder", some other material like Fiberglas, or melting the material from a spare grill in acetone and trying to apply it as a patch.

The product would have to be sandable and paintable, and adhere to the original material. A lot of how well this works depends on matching the plastic. Therefore, if anyone knows exactly what the original material in the grill plastic is, I would appreciate it. Any other advice on this, likewise.

Thanks!

A 2 part epoxy is your best bet for plastic. You'll need to create a "valley" and sand outward to give more surface area for the epoxy grip.

Thanks very much! I think I will try the JB Weld epoxy putty, maybe a soldering iron on the unseen areas.

Auto Transport Service
Back