• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first model year for a Sport Satellite?

First model year of a Sport Satellite

Results are only viewable after voting.
I parted a rusty ‘69 Belvedere back in the 80’s. The only difference between it and the the hardtop appeared to be a welded in post. The doors are the same save for the glass. And of course it doesn’t have the rear window winders and corresponding door card.
Ya my mistake. Actually 67 was the last year for the 2-dr sedan B-body. 68-70 had the B pilar post car and the H/T.

RP would have been a Sport Satellite in 68 not a Belvedere.

EDIT- Wagon but no 4 door. Hmmm.

RP would have been a Sport satellite in 68 not a Belvedere.
If we go be the factory nomenclature. “R” is Belvedere/Satellite from ‘68-‘70. I think it was to differentiate from the 2 door coupe, with the welded post, to the 2 door H/T. The second digit in the VIN is the price class. P=premium.

If we go be the factory nomenclature. “R” is Belvedere/Satellite from ‘68-‘70. I think it was to differentiate from the 2 door coupe, with the welded post, to the 2 door H/T. The second digit in the VIN is the price class. P=premium.

21 and 23 differentiate 2 door coupe and 2 door hardtop.

R is the Belvedere/Satellite line
The 2nd digit is the cost level model
3rd and 4th digits are the body type. H/T, Sedan, Vert, 4-dr etc.

21 and 23 differentiate 2 door coupe and 2 door hardtop.
Yup. The ‘68 FSM I have says Belvedere/Satellite on the cover. I thought maybe it was to differentiate the 21 from the 23. Here’s a fender tag from a ‘68 Sport Satellite I got for free back in ‘88… remember those days! I had a ‘79 W200 Club Cab Power Wagon and a tow bar. People were glad you were removing the things.

0B386BF6-B08F-4377-B5F5-6D57FB273D78.jpeg

Oooooooh, super lead overdrive.

I assume that's a guitar pedal and not a transmission gear add-on made of heavy, pliable metal.

Those 4 door SS were great for donors for bucket seats. A lot of people walked right by them in the JY.

An interesting thing I saw on the ‘68 Sport Satellite… the 318 was standard, and got the “318” hood ornament. In the Satellite the 273 was the standard engine with the 225 /6 a no cost downgrade. The 273 and /6 Satellites didn’t get a hood ornament. If you got the 318 or 383 you got the cubic inch hood ornament for the engine you had.

Those 4 door SS were great for donors for bucket seats. A lot of people walked right by them in the JY.
Did the buckets have a tilt mechanism? My 4 door daily has a fixed bench, but I have a 2 door bench that has the tilt levers and mechanism to allow the rear seat passengers easy entry and exit.

Can I change my answer? I believe I got it wrong….. My mom
is going to kill me..

PS: I just love it when the brain trust goes at it on this forum especially over small things - And I mean that as a compliment. So much knowledge here.

67 Satellite with 225 slant got blank hood ornament.

273 got "V8" on the ornament

All others got the actual displacement.

More extra cost tooling for the "low cost" Plymouth line.

The 4 door bucket seats had a mechanism to stop them from tilting forward. I believe it was just a bolt or stud but it's been years now.

Interesting.

No RL in '71?

learning.

I wonder if it had to do with the fact that the actual body is the same, unlike the 66/67 cars where the roof and doors were completely different.

Maybe the factory thought there would be no call for a fixed window model.

Given the minuscule difference in parts, plus the extra tooling and stocking costs.....

On the 71-74 body tooling there is no structural difference regarding strength, as you hear the rationale for buying 21 body cars for use in high HP racing.

The difference is less on the 68-70 cars than 66/67, but it's pretty much zero for 71-74.
Yes RL23. No RL21 in 1971

Auto Transport Service
Back