• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do or say?

You need to buy a backhoe Rog... why I have two !
OIP (1).jpg
Around these parts, it ain't just a funny joke....

Just another loser. Thinking the world owes him. I don’t know what it is but a whole herd of vagrants hit our community this summer walking and driving their bikes, all hours of the day lugging bags of cans and bottles looking for stuff that’s not nailed down I figure.

Personally I don't carry a gas can in my vehicle ... so if I needed to borrow some gas I'd probably be in the same boat as this guy !!!

Knocking on doors to see who ISN'T home for a little burglary action, perhaps? When someone does answer, he uses the gas line. A legit guy who runs out of gas leads with "my car ran out of gas....", not "can I have some gas?" Suspicious for sure. Letting the police know is the right move, Roger. They can keep an eye out and also connect the dots if there are other complaints.

Personally I don't carry a gas can in my vehicle ... so if I needed to borrow some gas I'd probably be in the same boat as this guy !!!
I understand that. :thumbsup:

I don't know about other people but I watch my fuel gauge more intently than the temperature when I am out and about.

Situational awareness I believe is the term.

Like @moparedtn said: I've helped a lot of people, but when the senses say it's wrong, I don't.

This doesn't feel right.

I get it. But if I were in that situation I would ask if I could buy some gas, explain where my car was, what happened, apologize for bugging someone, etc. This guy just throws off the wrong vibes...

Last edited:
I would have done exactly what you did, but I wouldn't bother with a police report: When I lived in the city, if you tried to file a police report on someone who rang your doorbell asking for gas, the police would be irritated and tell you to stop wasting their time.

... and that's why I now live in country. There just aren't many creeps out here.

I would have done exactly what you did, but I wouldn't bother with a police report: When I lived in the city, if you tried to file a police report on someone who rang your doorbell asking for gas, the police would be irritated and tell you to stop wasting their time.

... and that's why I now live in country. There just aren't many creeps out here.
I was 50/50 whether or not to report. But then I thought to myself, if someone else falls victim, and I could have done something to assist in a capture....and I didn't do anything....I would feel bad about that for a long time.

Normally I also like to help people out...but this guy just threw out all the wrong signals. Besides, this country is being attacked by scammers on email and a lot of this casing of houses goes on now.

People with nothing have virtually nothing to lose by committing crime these days. There are not enough tough Judges out there prepared to take a stand and try to curb the ills of this modern society we live in.

...and here endeth the lecture. :p

I’ve had a couple people including a sweet, looking chick, asking for fuel when I was filling up my car. I’ve never had anybody ask me for gas in the neighborhood.

I eat beans so I have plenty of gas.
:rofl:

This guy sauntered down my driveway just over an hour ago and asks to 'borrow some gas'.

Weird I thought immediately....OK so he ran out. There's no sign or hint of offering to pay for anything, no gas can, he just wants me to give my gas over????

I was actually in the middle of an important phone call to a supplier at the time, I put him on stand-by, and told the guy NO. I don't have any spare gas at all. I lied....I have around 80 litres (not sure how many washing machines that is right now) ... but no way was I going to open up my garage and let a stranger wander around and see inside.

There are too many incidents of creepy people wandering around and scoping out properties for a visit later on. I would rather be known as a 'tight-***' than a victim of another crime.
I filed a police report on the phone and will upload pictures shortly. If he's innocent, there's nothing to worry about. Vigilance beats filling out an Insurance Claim any day.

What would you have done?

IMHO he should have worn his own trousers, and not his little sister's ones. :p

I would’ve turned around and let it rip potato chip.

IMG_9801.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back