• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do with this block?

What would you do with this block?

• Scrap

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • Save

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Set it out back until you get desperate

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not going to vote scrap or save until you know more. The worst pictures are of the heads, but the question is about the block.

I would pull it apart. If it is still standard bore, then after hot tanking and boring the block it might very well be fine. But you have no idea until you pull it apart to check mains, bores, etc.

I agree, until you get a GOOD look at the bores, not much to say.

Tear it down and see the condition of the block and punch out frost plugs, if it's a mess in just scrap it, seen lots of people troubleshooting cooling issues and oiling problems due to bad cores

An old school block boil will show what you have on the block. That always did a good job on the cooling passages. Not sure if the modern cleaning solutions do as well.

73 400 2V nothing special. Sat outside with no cover and the valley pan rusted out. This is the second one I've had like this.
Allot of work to get the cast crank out.
Heads are toast. Heads bolt are going to have to cut off.
Cylinder condition unknown but guaranteed to be rusty. View attachment 1213065 View attachment 1213065 View attachment 1213066 View attachment 1213067 View attachment 1213068 View attachment 1213069 View attachment 1213070 View attachment 1213071 View attachment 1213072 View attachment 1213073
Junk it ....not worth anything or even the effort

Is it even worth the time trying to take anything out of it? Looks like scrap iron to me.
i know where i can get a good one for a couple f hundreds intake to oil psan . put a 440 rods & crank in a 400 it will make more cids than a 440 dose then shave the heads a minimum of 25 thousands

dc  b  head page.jpg dc  b  head page (2).jpg dc  b  head page (3).jpg

Is it even worth the time trying to take anything out of it? Looks like scrap iron to me.
call clayton kussuth @ 314-578-7866 any complete motor dor $300-$500 no hemis just la small blocks , b & rb (383,400,413,426 wedge &440. includig dseveral premium gas only motors :383&440 hp!

motors & parts @ clays 5.jpg motors @ clays 1.jpg motors @ clays 3.jpg motors @ clays 4.jpg motors @ clays 6.jpg motors @ clays 7.jpg

clays business card with one of his race cars on the card (its the fastest pushbutton car on the nation & its not a hemi its a 528 max wedge with 15-1 , .700" lift cam on methanol it put 2000 horse to thr ground all on "small tires ,28.5x10.5 . the car turns a 8.80@ 168-170 mph its a wheel standr its a nss legal a/fx car

clays card (2).jpg

We don't know at this point, he hasn't posted casting numbers. But, if it is a thick main 230 or 630, it could be the strongest oem b/rb block Mopar ever made. The '73 date means it could be. He won't know anything about it till he gets the crank and pistons out.
It's up to him if that might be worth the time and effort. If he was trying to build a 700hp 512, it would be.
I don't believe it is one of the good 230s? Due to date. But I believe a thicker cylinder wall 630 is possible? If so? Give it a try, and clean up the block.

Consider it like doing a crossword puzzle no reward other than occupying your time.

Auto Transport Service
Back