• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you use this chisel for?

dryheat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
This came as part of a craftsman chisel set between 1949 - 1964. It is a cold chisel but I can not determine it's particular use. I am baffled by the rounded front edge and the 45 degree bevel.

Does anyone have any ideas?

chisel1.jpg chisel2.jpg

Not knowing the actual size,I have use one similar for removing Key ways from cranks,cams etc.

That is called a cape point chisel, made to get into places a wider cold chisel won’t fit. I used one yesterday to knock a chunk of crud out of a keyway. If you’ve drilled out a frozen bolt, use it to pick out pieces of of the old bolt still stuck in the threads, before running a tap.

Thanks for all the info guys.
It's a "roundnose chisel" a "cape" chisel has a diamond shaped point. It's used for cutting grooves in metal where and oval or U shape is desired. They are very seldom used and only come in the most deluxe punch and chisel sets.

Might have also been ground that way to use as a "scraping" tool like ones used to scrape machine ways...

Auto Transport Service
Back