• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats best way to fix a hole in bumper guard ....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Guys, got my bumpers ready for the rechromer and need to patch a hole in the thinner bumper guard. Do I get welded up or does it need to be brazed up with a brass rod. Should I leave it to the rechrome folks or get done before taking it in. I assume either way repaired the chromers will be able to smooth out and rechrome. What is best way...thanks..
IMG_0138.jpg

I would MIG or TIG weld it. I'm not sure how hot the tanks are, but if you braze, that part will have a different expansion rate at least. If it is all steel, then it's just a matter of straight and polish.

If your chrome shop is close by I'd take it to them for their opinion and cost to repair. That section needs to be cut out and replaced by someone who really knows what they're doing. After replacing the section it has to be ground and polished close to a mirror finish before the chrome plating process. One little scratch can show through the chrome plating.

Finding a better guard would be an option too.

When I had my 65 Belvedere front done the chrome shop insisted on doing the welding. I did cut out the center (license plate opening) and tack in a plate with holes for my driving lamps, making sure the filler was perfectly flush with the original surface. Turned out great. Mike
IMG_1822.JPG

Well, my plating company is two hours away and they are merging with another plating company four hours from them. Seems the plating chemicals are toxic to discard and folks are having to leave the bigger cities. I talked with a welder today who said he could mig it. I m thinking to let him go ahead and then send word to the platers to fix it if they don t like it and can repair it . Not going to be a show car but would like to save it if possible....thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back