• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats better Viton or Felpro

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a rear main seal leak which I'm going to get fixed. I read all the threads on rear main seal and people use Viton or Felpro. Which is better? 69 RR 383 4 speed.

Thanks!

I’ve used the rubber Fel Pros years ago with good luck.. I have folks I know still use rope seals.. stagger the joint and put a dab of silicone on the joint and go.. It all depends on what you like.

I bought the seal holder from Mancini that is machined, yet too be installed. As long as I’ve been around rear main seals on mopar have been a problem. Looking for all input!

Hey Guys,

I have a rear main seal leak which I'm going to get fixed. I read all the threads on rear main seal and people use Viton or Felpro. Which is better? 69 RR 383 4 speed.

Thanks!

Just to be clear...'Viton' is the trademark name for the flouroelastomer material. FelPro #2947 technically is Viton and is the best choice unless you prefer to use the old-style rope seal.

Just to be clear...'Viton' is the trademark name for the flouroelastomer material. FelPro #2947 technically is Viton and is the best choice unless you prefer to use the old-style rope seal.

Hmm I never knew that, good info! I guess I'll use the felpro from Hughes engines. Anyone have any luck with their billet retainer?

Hmm I never knew that, good info! I guess I'll use the felpro from Hughes engines. Anyone have any luck with their billet retainer?
I used a billet retainer on one build and it worked fine but I'd save that $100 bill for something else! No problems ever with the factory cast piece. Unless there's some problem (bad/uneven surface machining, etc) getting a good seal is all in the installation technique.

The only thing I'd like to add is that I went with ARP main studs with twelve point nuts and hardened
washers and the nuts on the rear main interferes with the aluminum seal carrier a smidgeon! Just grind
two little reliefs in it and you'll be good. I put a Viton seal in mine and will find out how it goes!

Last edited:
Hmm I never knew that, good info! I guess I'll use the felpro from Hughes engines.
Some of the common types of O-ring materials include PTFE, Nitrile (Buna), Neoprene, EPDM Rubber and Fluorocarbon (Viton). Silicone and Kalrez® O-ring materials are also widely used, especially in high temperature applications.

Don't know what materials are available in rear main seals but I would think the Viton material should be plenty good enough. Kalrez? Very high dollar and seriously doubt a rear main seal would ever be made with that stuff. It's very high dollar and takes some really high temps. The Petrochem industry uses a lot of Kalrez o-rings in pumps etc....especially in pumps that run high temp product. Rope seals (packing) works well too but it does rely on some seepage for lubrication. If it doesn't see some seepage, it'll burn up but a single rope seal works well so long as you get it to butt up good. The Petrochem industry used multiple 'ropes' in a single pump with the butts being angle cut and opposing each other but they didn't seal good enough to meet EPA standards so the majority of pump equipment went to mechanical seals starting in the mid 80's across the board.

Ha! Yeah, I got that Senior discount alright! Right up th PooPer!

Hey Guys,

Thanks!
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back