• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Constant 12v for radio

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Need a little help. I just bought a new radio for my 69 RR 383 and it needs a wire that supplies a constant 12v. I thought any orange wire under the dash would work but when I check the voltage they all read 0.00. What would be a good source for this connection? I have a colored wiring diagram but I can't make heads or tails of it, I'm not good at wiring.

Thanks!
Mpro69rr

Use a test light and probe the rear side of the fuse block. Use a piggy back splice to double up on a spade blade connector. Red with a tracer comes off of the ampmeter. Red on fuse one goes to cigar lighter and there is also a pink wire on that terminal.

This is the piggy back terminal.

8019k96p1-d01b-digital@halfx_636961163772433915.png

69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerA.jpg
69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerB.jpg

Use a test light and probe the rear side of the fuse block. Use a piggy back splice to double up on a spade blade connector. Red with a tracer comes off of the ampmeter. Red on fuse one goes to cigar lighter and there is also a pink wire on that terminal.

This is the piggy back terminal.
[/URL]

View attachment 1482232

View attachment 1482230View attachment 1482231
Thanks! I always wondered what those were for. I'll have to get some.

One side of the fuse block is hot all the time. The other side is hot only with key on. Another place is hot side of ammeter gauge, that supplies power to the clock.

if you have the factory fuse box there should a constant post on the bottom.

So should a fused device like a radio be on top of connectors so it’s fused or bottom? Never thought about that before.

There is a circuit on the fuse box that is fused at something like 5 amps. for the radio. Plug into that..

There is a circuit on the fuse box that is fused at something like 5 amps. for the radio. Plug into that..
Right. I was just wondering if since the top is fused if it makes more sense to connect it on top vs bottom (if possible on that circuit). Anyway, I'd need to look at my fuse box. But I currently have my aftermarket radio connected to the radio power from the main harness. Seems to work fine.

All the circuits on the box are fused. That's why it is called a fuse box. It is just that some circuits will work without the key needing to be on, while other circuits only work with key on. If you are taking power off some other live point, you likely need to put a fuse in that circuit.

All the circuits on the box are fused. That's why it is called a fuse box. It is just that some circuits will work without the key needing to be on, while other circuits only work with key on.
Thanks! Not sure where I read that the bottom is constant, and top is fused. No worries and thanks again!

Yes, I got that one from the radio connection in the wiring harness, ign 12v. I need a constant 12v source I'm going to look at everyone's suggestions.

I forgot that you were looking for constant voltage for the radio's memory (presets, time, etc.). You can use one of those pigtails clips, on a low amp clip on the other side of the fuse box.

Auto Transport Service
Back