• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whats wrong w/the clutch?

Jonnyuma

Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
Not a B-body, but an 81 Dodge Ram Im headed out to go look over. The guy says the clutch pedal doesn't come back up after you push it down, doesn't know why. Besides a broken/missing return spring, what would cause this? I don't even know if it has a hydraulic clutch or what...all my Rams have been automatics. Anything in particular I should look for? Any "easy" fixes I can do in this cat's driveway to amaze him before I drive away in his old (MY new) broke-*** truck? I don't think I have time to join the truck forum and search the threads right now. Maybe tomorrow if I get stumped. Thanks.

It's a half-ton, 2wd with a slant 6....short bed. coool.

sounds like you need to change out your throwout Bearing

The TWB shouldn't make the pedal stay down unless it's frozen to the bearing retainer. Can you pull the pedal up and start the truck without it moving? Will it stay up if you pull it back? My first check would be to look for the counter spring under the dash to make sure it's hooked up or even there. My first /6 3 speed pickup was a 74 SWB and even when the TWB went out on it, the pedal still came up. Btw, my last /6 1/2 ton truck was that one. All the rest have been 3/4 ton and larger. If you plan on using it for anything other than a parts chaser, you probably won't like it much...unless it's geared down. Mine had 3.55's and it still wasn't enough to pull much plus the truck was just too light duty for heavy stuff in the bed. Heck, my 95 Dakota V6 'yardcart' does a better job but neither can hold a candle to my 97 diesel.

my guesses

If it's a hydraulic clutch check both the master and slave cylinders .. may be out of fluid / leaking

If it's a B&B 3 finger clutch is the z-bar connected at both points and is clutch adjuster rod connected/adjusted correctly and engaging the clutch fork?

If it was B&B and been changed to a diaphragm style pressure plate the over center spring should be removed (up under the dash)

My guess is it's a hydraulic clutch being that is has the leaning tower of power

other possibilities abound

70redbee is probably right...but, other things to check would be the linkage and z bar. If its an 81, its a non hydraulic clutch, and should be diaphragm. The trucks don't have an over center spring, at least that I've seen. If the throwout bearing was stuck, you couldn't move the pedal. Disconnect the pedal linkage, see if the pedal itself is sticky. They have a grease fitting, but no one ever uses it...is it an np435? Or is it the overdrive 833? If its an np435, Hell, stuff it in granny and drive it home. You only need a clutch to take off, after that, right RPM and away you go...

Thanks for the replies. I'd figured on starting it in gear and just floating the rest to get it home....but it sold before I got there. Man, I'm kinda bummed about that but, just like Tommy (Joe Peschi) in Goodfellas, its "gone now, and there ain't nuthin' we can do about it".

Again, thanks for the quick replies. I knew I could count on the FBBO board, even if it wasn't a B.

Auto Transport Service
Back