• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whe the low love for the 4 door mopars?

4 doors run in the family :laughing7: I was taught that number of doors isn't as important as is the lack of rust...no rust repair leaves more $$ for go fast goodies :headbang:
247567_1881508350479_6464006_n.jpg538684_3543266333390_1282267203_n.jpg003 (2).jpg

My brother's 68 valiant
My mom's white 62 fury - drag car since about 1990
My 62 Savoy

Those cars look better once you put the Magnum 500s on, but the problem is this is how most of us who grew up with them remember them. This is how they were marketed, this is how they were used, and this is how they looked for all those decades before someone put the 500s on. :)

Yeah, but read what the young guns say........We want more younger guys getting into these, right?

Well I guess that I did not grow up with the "4 door phobia". For me it was "I had wheels" and did not care if it had 2, 3, 4, or six doors. But now I at least understand why so many people pass on them now. Thanks

Thomas

Well I guess that I did not grow up with the "4 door phobia". For me it was "I had wheels" and did not care if it had 2, 3, 4, or six doors. But now I at least understand why so many people pass on them now. Thanks

Thomas

Three doors,here you go !!

Rides

QUOTE=thomas93254;909909933]Well I guess that I did not grow up with the "4 door phobia". For me it was "I had wheels" and did not care if it had 2, 3, 4, or six doors. But now I at least understand why so many people pass on them now. Thanks

Thomas

Totally agree on having wheels to drive!!!!
Sure beat walking or riding a bicycle.
:thumbsup:
Jeff

67 belvedere II 4 dr

I really like the lines of the 1966 and 1967 Mopar B-Body 4doors in both HTP and Sedan, they look very well proportioned to me compared to some of the later models.

Greg I agree with you on the 66/67 Mopar B-Body I have both an love the style. I notice you live in weatherford tx so I was wondering what classics do you have

I agree that 2 doors look sweet, but if you want to find a mopar to restore might need to start looking at 4 doors, nice looking cars guys........

Totally agree on having wheels to drive!!!!
Sure beat walking or riding a bicycle.
:thumbsup:
Jeff

Yea it was kinda hard to pedal over to a girls house and pick her up. Plus when we went cruising it meant that all my buddies could come a long and if one of them tried to pick up a girl, I didn't have to get out of the car for them to go talk to her. And it was really nice at the drive in!!!!

Thomas

Yeah, but read what the young guns say........We want more younger guys getting into these, right?

Sure, but the question is the 4-door route the right way to go with that? I met a kid who was working on a 66 four-door Valiant. He really liked that car, but every time he took it out to cruise-ins or events, all anyone told him was he was crazy to drop a dime into a car like that. He eventually gave up on it, and when he did he couldn't find anyone to buy it and ended up selling it to a scrap yard. Now he drives a 90s import.

Four-door sedans have always been a niche market and are just not for everyone. I'm looking for 68 or 71 four-door Satellite but that's only because I want to make an ADAM-12 replica, which is about as niche as you can get. The only four-door benefit was easy access to a rear seat, and if not for the cops and taxi companies odds are many of them would never have been made. Yes, they are a low-buck way to get into the vintage car market, but what happens to you once you're in the door? It's not like going from a 73 Satellite to a 73 318 Road Runner to a 73 GTX. A four-door sedan is always going to be just a four-door sedan and it's tough to generate a lot of excitement from one, and excitement is what drives a lot of this hobby... for better or for worse.

I don't know. I just loved my 4dr when I was 18, and I love my 4dr now that I am 47. My thing is that I just love seeing these old beauties cruising the streets and highways. I don't care how many doors or really what brand, it's just seeing them still cruising around after all these years. Todays car look like crap and have no style.
But I guess I could be wierd. I don't like corvettes at all.

Harold

I paid a grand for a sweet 66 4 door cause I needed a grill for my 66,500. Then I parted it.

Of course the values of 4 doors will go up. Every time someone buys one for parts, there are less to buy for parts. I don't mind a 4 door, but if I had a choice I'd go with a 2 door exception being a Continental. I also wouldn't want to drop a bunch of money into a 4 door. Friends getting in and out of the back is easier, but its cooler to be sitting up front regardless. I do like 4 door and wagon muscle tributes, but the two doors are just better.

Some people won't touch a four door just like they won't touch something later than the early 70s. What would you pick between a '69 Coronet sedan and a '79 Magnum?

I love my four door and I love wagons older guys have giving me cr.. for having a four door but i tell them I didnt have to get rid of my Christine when I had my kids!

I suppose if you want a really solid car for cheap to build into a race car then get a 4 dr.

4 doors = sedan = family mans car or business geek or couldn't find a 2 dr....LOL That's not to say there aren't cool 4 doors out there ... that's just my take on the take of why they aren't popular.

Personally I have no preference to the 2 door vs 4 door. It just happened when I started looking for a project that I accidentally fell in love with my 2 door sedan. If I had found a 4 door at that time I probably would have done the same thing to it instead. My generation doesn't have the stigma with a 4 door...every car we have had or been in has probably been a 4 door, and in fact 2 doors are a pain in the but when heading out to a cruise night....

So for the younger crowd most of us aren't worried about 2 doors unless we don't like the body lines of the 4 door.

4 doors = sedan = family mans car or business geek or couldn't find a 2 dr....LOL That's not to say there aren't cool 4 doors out there ... that's just my take on the take of why they aren't popular.

There's a cool factor to any vintage or classic car just by virtue of it being a vintage or classic car. But the two vs four door thing isn't something that just pertains to older cars. How many times today do you see hopped-up two-door imports with the fart-can mufflers, light kits, turbo kits, fancy rims, and other paraphernalia racing around the same way we used to, and then comes along some guy in a four-door Accord or whatever they are, and it screams MOM'S GROCERY GETTER so loud it can be heard over the fart can on the back, and that guy is just the odd-man out? Even worse, the guy in the import sedan with the "rat rod" flat black paint job that screams MY MOM HANDED HER CAR DOWN TO ME BUT I HAVE NO MONEY FOR A GOOD PAINT JOB SO TO MAKE IT LOOK COOL I GOT AN EL CHEAPO FLAT BACK DEAL. And of course the worst of the worst, the guys who are struggling to look cool in an import sedan with different color body panels they took off a wrecked car, with the phony TYPE R racing badges on the back. :)

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, most of us have been in the sad position where we had to drive around the family car (my crosses to bear were a four-door Galaxy 500, four-door LTD, and a Monaco station wagon that proved even 440s can't make every car cool. And as an oh by the way, while I was driving around in the family trucksters, my Dad's "work" cars were a 1969 429 Marquis drop top, a Skylark, and two Mavericks... all two doors. :) ), but these cars were rarely destination cars for us. They cars driven out of necessity until we got a car that we liked, which is why I went from a Monaco wagon to a 73 Road Runner/GTX and not another station wagon.

Throughout automotive history, four-door cars were, and always will be, family cars regardless of if they were made in 1951, 1971, 2001, or 2021, and family cars are rarely built to be high-performance cruising vessels (with one exception, the recent Mercury Marauders). Anyone wanting proof should look at how NASCAR had to break its own rules to allow a never-produced two-door Charger onto the tracks. And why did they break those ever-so-sacred rules? Because having a four-door NASCAR racer would have made NASCAR the laughing stock of motorsports.

Back