• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Bearing Grease Cap Drops When Removing Wheel Cover

Dibbons

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
I am doing a little personal pre-alignment inspection ('72 Satellite) before I look for a local shop to check alignment (verify air pressure, put tool box in trunk, remove wheel covers, spray oil penetrant on front end fasteners).

I found the driver's side grease cap just fell on the ground when I removed the wheel cover. It's dented up, but not half as bad as the passenger side (see fotos 1 & 2). Anyone have a GOOD source for a pair of new ones? The last pair I purchased for an A Body just fell right off (had to deform the rim so they would stay put). And what is the proper way to install them, obviously not the sledge hammer someone's been using?

One minute video of how one guy installs them:

When I went to lubricate the rear camber/caster adjusting cams I could not even find them, both having been covered up by very stiff factory splash shield material. I would be willing to bet that during my last four wheel alignments those cams were not even touched--probably only adjusted the toe-in without telling me. I removed those splash shields using a door panel remover/pry tool (see foto 3).

DSC06133.JPG DSC06134.JPG DSC06135.JPG

good luck searching
they are all garbage unless they are oem
I would use a dab of silicon to hold them in

Rubber mallet is what I used after messing up a couple using a steel head hammer back in the late 60's.....

Even the ones I bought from Napa are finicky to get on without popping off, almost everything is junk! Wonder if YearOne or another restoration supplier has something better to offer?

I take a punch to the divets and make them deeper. Seems to work most of the time.

I have the correct cup shaped "tool" now to knock them on, but a piece of pipe (steel or plastic) the correct ID works just fine... as did the repro dust caps I bought 2 years ago that were the correct depth. Took some work to find the correct ones, that's for sure.
beerestoration2018 801.JPG
beerestoration2018 802.JPG

I had a heck of a time getting one for my Satellite. The computer (I know, I know) kept telling the kids to order one that was nowhere near the right size. Finally an older guy (about my age) actually measured mine and was able to get one close. It's not quite right but works.

Last I knew Rick Ehrenberg was selling the correct caps and the install tool on ebay. Hoffman's Winner Circle is reproducing the early cap.

There is actually a quality reproduction available now for the earlier style cap. Both the earlier and later style cap from Chrysler has been discontinued. The caps that you purchase through most of the automotive sites that sells Dorman product line is not correct, even though the parts information indicates that they will fit the earlier year style. I am not sure if the same problem is apparent with the later year model style.

I believe that the change started in 1973 as the diameter of the cap changed with the other changes in the suspension system. So if your car has been converted over to the late model style disc brake system, you will need the late model style cap as found on the 73 and up year models.

Auto Transport Service
Back